Really Bad Idea - read first post! Makeshift Spray Booth

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
edited March 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi, All

I've had second thoughts on this thread and this idea.  

The problem is that my rig is only safe because I am basically outside spraying into a sheltered area.  Even though I am wearing a full-spec respirator, it is clear that the fume build up in the shed itself is dangerous.  As such, this whole idea - with ventilation but no fume extraction is actually a really bad idea that, in other circumstances could be downright dangerous!

Although there is a very interesting project currently on the drawing board, I've put in a couple of weeks in the diary to sort out a few issues that have been wanting for some time. One of those has been 'what am I going to do about spraying?'

I've turned down a number of build requests because they have been specifically solid colour finishes and - even where I agree to a paint finish - I always stress that the way I have to do that will never match a decent professional spray job. Even with natural finishes, there are times when a 'buffable' nitro clear would be just what the project needs, rather than my preferred wipe-on varnish approach (which can produce very good results, but absolutely can't be buffed to the final shine).

So, having done some prep work in the autumn with a significant tidy up of the shed, I have set about rigging up a space so that I can hang a body or full bass or electric at a convenient height for spraying, and be able to spray when there is a breeze - or during my test today quite a strong wind - outside.

The rig?
  • Four cheap shower curtains
  • Some hooks
  • Some big hooks
  • A simple timber hanger capable of hanging the body of a bolt-on (bolted onto the end of the hanger), or the full instrument of neck-through (hung from the headstock on a U-shaped large hook halfway up the hanger length)

Basically, in the doorway to the shed, with the door fully open, I simply hung three of the shower curtains to protect the shed contents, and the fourth curtain on the floor to minimise the amount that I would be painting the floor.

Then, with a disposable overall on, safety glasses and a suitable respirator I set about an old mahogany body I had hanging around (and now literally hanging around  ):

There are two large ceiling hooks at 90 degrees to each other so that I can hang the body face on or edge on. For this trial, though, I left it in this position and realised that I could just about get decent access all the way round.

This had a can of white primer and a can of metallic blue. I didn't bother with any prep or sanding down of the primer, but it bodes quite well, considering:

I also won't bother doing any more prep before the clear coats - I'm really just checking the practicality. I'll do some clearcoats tomorrow but so far my conclusions are:
  • This won't solve the 'spray nitro in dry conditions' issue, but it will allow me to spray in even medium windy conditions. As I say, the door was wide open and it was quite a windy day.
  • The curtain stopped pretty much all of the paint mist from colouring the contents of the shed
  • Ventilation is VERY adequate
  • With a bit of practice - and maybe a step-stool handy - it seems to provide 360 degree access with a reasonable access. The whole guitar body here is pretty well coated - front, back, sides, horn inner surfaces and tail. Using the ceiling hooks to reverse the body and hang it edge on both ways, would allow very good access.
  • The hanger is man enough to prevent the body swinging away from the spray force
So step 1 is a tick in the box

Next will be spraycan clear coat and then next is trying with compressor and airbrush / spraygun 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Absolutely brilliant stuff Andy. I don't fully understand (apologies) what you mean by the dry conditions problem though. Do you mean low humidity?
    I'm impressed!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Deadman said:
    Absolutely brilliant stuff Andy. I don't fully understand (apologies) what you mean by the dry conditions problem though. Do you mean low humidity?
    I'm impressed!
    Nitro is a bit notorious for suffering a milky bloom if the conditions are humid (warm or cold) due to moisture getting trapped in the tiny droplets of varnish.  This is reduced significantly in the dryness of, eg, an extractor-equipped workshop and also, if you are lucky, a warm dry environment when the nitro is still soft (only a few minutes) the moisture can escape.  Neither is possible when the outside world is a metre away next to a wide open door :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited March 2017
    Are those stills from Dexter? scream 

Clever stuff. smile 

Edit: read the updates, maybe not that clever then. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    By the way, it needs to be stressed, if anyone not experienced is reading this thread, that spray fumes are killers.

The advantage in my rig is that I am basically standing outside, spraying into this area but which itself has no extraction. I'm still wearing a full spray-spec respirator - and this is essential whatever...even spraying fully outside.

Do not consider for one moment spraying in an enclosed or even semi-enclosed space without proper fume extraction! 
  • MarkeebeeMarkeebee Frets: 62
    I use a grow house thingy in my garage as a makeshift spray booth. One of these things:

I think it was about ten quid from B&Q. I took the shelves out and hung the guitar from a coat hanger at the top. A little fan heater at the bottom produces a bit of positive air pressure which helps to expel the dust inside the "booth". It also warms the paint cans a little (helps to stop spluttering), warms the body (helps the paint adhere, apparently), and reduces cure time a little.  You could probably put a pie in there to warm up as well.

I got a bit fancy and put a bathroom extract fan and hose at the top and then blew the fumes out of the eaves of the garage and into my neighbour's garden. I'm told this is not a good thing.

Packs away nice and small when you're done.
  • MarkeebeeMarkeebee Frets: 62

Hi, All - if you haven't read my amendment at the beginning, it is repeated here.  Mods - probably best to take this down?

"I've had second thoughts on this thread and this idea.  

The problem is that my rig is only safe because I am basically outside spraying into a sheltered area.  Even though I am wearing a full-spec respirator, it is clear that the fume build up in the shed itself is dangerous.  As such, this whole idea - with ventilation but no fume extraction is actually a really bad idea that, in other circumstances could be downright dangerous!"
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Thanks for flagging this @Andyjr1515 ;

It probably serves a valuable purpose in highlighting the dangers of doing what you originally thought would be a good idea.  Now, if *you* thought it would be a good idea, I'm guessing that there'll be others who have a similar idea, but perhaps don't go on to realise the downsides.

Your disclaimer and strikethru of the original text should be enough of a warning to anyone thinking of adopting the approach, so I'd say that it's more useful to keep the thread here - as a warning - than to remove it, and remove the warning?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Thanks for flagging this @Andyjr1515 ;

It probably serves a valuable purpose in highlighting the dangers of doing what you originally thought would be a good idea.  Now, if *you* thought it would be a good idea, I'm guessing that there'll be others who have a similar idea, but perhaps don't go on to realise the downsides.

Your disclaimer and strikethru of the original text should be enough of a warning to anyone thinking of adopting the approach, so I'd say that it's more useful to keep the thread here - as a warning - than to remove it, and remove the warning?
    No problem at all :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Andy - well done for highlighting this. It's a valuable and worthwhile point to make that not all ideas 1) work out and 2) are good ones.
    In my youth I was overcome by fumes spraying a bike frame and spent two nights in hospital as a result - and I'd spare anyone that headache when I woke up!!! I was lucky that my mum heard the bang when I collapsed on the garage floor knocking loads of stuff over... fumes kill. It's not big or clever.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    This may be why my indoor Nitro spraying masterclass went badly wrong.  I doubt I'll be allowed back on the Wirral.  :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom