Firebird - any thoughts?

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4692
I'm quite drawn to the idea of one of these - a proper one with the three piece body/neck combination, fancy tuners etc.  I know naff all about them except some are down in the £1 - £1.5k area.  Any good or utter shite? Things to be aware of?

Thanks
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited March 2017
    Case the size of a good sized starter home.
    Odd ergonomics if you're not used to them.
    Headstocks that prefer the bachelor life and don't like to stay attached.
    Modern pickups that many don't like. 

Johnny Winter.
    Eric in his prime.

Possibly the coolest *looking* guitar of all time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    How tall are you?

Play one standing up before you buy it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Weighty old Beasts and some people hate the Steinberger tuners but I find them very elegant.  You will find yourself swearing every 5 mins as you swipe band members, cat, dog or the ceiling with the headstock without realising it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited March 2017
    Pros - possibly the coolest 'shape' guitar ever made

Cons - the nut feels like it's in another room whether seated or standing. They feel so far to the left that even Jeremy Corbyn would struggle to play one....
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    They're great if you're 7 foot tall and drag your knuckles on the ground.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    rlw said:
    a proper one with the three piece body/neck combination
    the neck section is at least 5 pieces (Firebird I & III??) - more often 9 with the veneer layers on the other models
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    the new  Epi Joe Bonamassa (let the hate begin :) ) @ £600 looks like a nice way to try a firebird. I really like it in gold.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    I have one and it's just massive, but by god does it looks amazing in Pelham Blue 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    Like playing a bass.

Jim54 said:
    Like playing a bass.
    Oddly enough I find the Thunderbird much less unwieldy… presumably either because the bridge is so much further back that the playing area isn't so far to the left - or because I'm expecting it to be long so it isn't as much of a shock :).

It can still be a challenge to reach an F note on the bottom string if I don't make sure it's hanging at just the right angle though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markblack said:
    the new  Epi Joe Bonamassa (let the hate begin :) ) @ £600 looks like a nice way to try a firebird. I really like it in gold.

I've been drooling over those since they were announced... I just can't justify buying one. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Very strange getting used to the weight and the fretboard feeling its so far to the left. very cool though..

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I feel at home with them, on my 3rd. I'm 6 foot 2 which prob helps. Great upper fret access. Didn't like the pickups in my last one (2006) but like them in the current one, 2016 - though I'd assumed they were the same. Vintage type ones are a bit thin for me compared. I like the Steinbergers, the Gibson ones in the slightly older ones (I forget the year of change) are notchy nasty things.
    The banjo tuners also weigh a ton and increase the balance problem - and the risk to the headstock. Unless you must have the vintage look, the Steinberger ones are a far better choice really.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2017
    They look fantastic and sound killer (the pickups are an under-appreciated gem of a design) but I've never played one that's felt natural.

If you play one, you look cool. That's just how it is.

https://magazineslush.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/andy-tw.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited March 2017

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/27/72/6b/27726b860225ae6642fab78a4f99fe39.jpg

A Firebird 1 is definitely one of the coolest looking guitars out there. However, as @ICBM points out, it can look wrong or even faintly ridiculous on some people. They can also be neck-heavy - at least until the headstock comes off in the first hint of a stiff breeze.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Liking that goldtop bonamassa one! Shame I'm a short arse who would look ridiculous with one of these.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Heavy is not an issue but descriptions of the nut being a long way off are being heeded.  I will go and try the new JB one, just to see what it feels like, but thetwo pickup job is what really appeals, or even three.   Just need to sell off the excess guitars first.....
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    markblack said:

I've been drooling over those since they were announced... I just can't justify buying one. 
    Errr....since when did being able to justify it be a condition of purchase.....................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Really liked the one I had.  The case is ludicrous but there are alternatives and I didn't find the guitar particularly difficult to play and it was v ergonomic played stood up. Lovely sound both from the stock ceramics and the creamery pickups I replaced them with. 

however, moved it on as I concluded that I looked like I was in the grip of a particularly acute mid life crisis when playing it.