Firebird - any thoughts?

What's Hot

Comments

• SwanySwany Frets: 0
    I played one for years and I got one of the best blues tones I've ever gotten out of any guitar, (through a 4x10 bassman). I had only one problem with the guitar, it was very neck heavy to the point that I finally had to let it go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Reverse firebird look so bloody cool, has to be Pelham blue for me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    I bought a Firebird because they look amazing. Sold it soon after due to the weird playing position and the awful pickups!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5403
    This is serious thread deja vu, I'm sure I've posted this here before but Bryce Dessner is the reason I want a non-reverse Firebird. His is a '65 he bought on eBay and customised the **** out of. Love his tone, especially the cleans. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I gigged one for a few years back in my early 20's. In fact it's the guitar in my avatar. I'm only 5'9" but I got along with it just great and really enjoyed the mini Hums with flatwound strings and a rat pedal. 
    Nostalgia being what it is it could be that if I tried one now I'd hate it but who k ones maybe I should get another. 

The only negative i I've I can remember is that it was a bitch to play on a small cramped stage. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2017
    One of my Students has one and after bringing it round first 3/4 times it doesn't show up anymore.

CONS:

* Needs a massive case - bulky to lug about - I joke it looks like he is coming round to do some wallpapering!

* Weedy tones unless driven

* Not that resonant unplugged

* Neck is at odds with the body for me and I find I go to fret 3 instead of two for those autopilot open chords as needs a definite posture readjustment to play.

PROS:

Phil Manzanera's Red/Gold model in the gatefold of For Your Pleasure has made me want one like forever...

http://i.imgur.com/waTWKXE.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/38/73/913873f3bbf41417b4bb8bd51e956e3e.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/246jhp4.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Swany said:
     it was very neck heavy to the point that I finally had to let it go.
    They ain't *that* neck-heavy ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    My Pelham Blue Epi is now up for trade if anyone is interested ;-)

the case could house a homeless person 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Or two Dean Baby Z's and a small Tele
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I've got a studio that I've (literally) metaled up, yup thats real treadplate :)

I like it but the weight distribution is definitely funky!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Mine isn't neck heavy as it's one of the few built with mini grovers :)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665

Or two Dean Baby Z's and a small Tele

and still have room for a couple of dwarves, a small aviary and a loaf of bread 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    The case design is really daft. They could have made it about three inches narrower and about an inch shorter if the guitar sat at an angle inside, with the headstock near the latches.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Whitecat said:
    This is serious thread deja vu, I'm sure I've posted this here before but Bryce Dessner is the reason I want a non-reverse Firebird. His is a '65 he bought on eBay and customised the **** out of. Love his tone, especially the cleans.
    The sound is lovely and so is the look of that non-reverse Firebird. Brian Aubert from Silversun Pickups was the first person I saw using one and I fell in love with the shape there and then.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Got a 1999 sunburst Firebird V.Case  huge! Hangs weird on a strap. Not sure bout mini humbuckers. Had to buy a extra wide bass strap just for it. Nearly wrecked me house taking the case out to play! Fucking love it!! Get one! They look fab and make you feel every inch the Rock Star \m/_ 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    In gold or red they look all kinds of superb!
  • Here's my Epi Bonamassa Firebird 1. I've had it for about a month and am really impressed with the build quality (it's made in China) and variety of sounds available from the single pick up. The volume and tone controls are very interactive going from almost a humbucker sound with the tone rolled off to Tele style with tone full up and volume turned down.

On first picking it up It's not the most comfortable guitar to play and has more neck than a zoo full of giraffes but you quickly get used to everything being to the left. A quality strap is essential to stop neck dive.

The banjo tuners are huge but true to the original design and hold tuning well. A nice gig bag is supplied but I'm on the look out for a hard case as I wouldn't trust it for storage due to the weight and size of the headstock.  

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017
    Although they are iconic looking and have their fans, I have never ever had any gas for a Firebird.  I don't really like their look, and having played a few (2 p/up & 3 p/up 'reverse Firebird' variants)I find them big, heavy & frankly 'soul-less' with an uninspiring characterless tone that's nowhere near as good as a decent LP or SG.  

The only variant that looks half decent is the 3 p/up reverse Firebird with trem, like the Phil Manzanera one shown earlier, although I prefer it in white with Gold hardware because there's a lot of wood and in white it looks less 'bulky'.  

Of course, Firebird fans will completely disagree with this - but if we all liked the same things it would be a boring old world.  

Its also one of those guitars that I think you have to be quite tall to get away with both aesthetically and to wear comfortably around your neck - unfortunately I'm only a 5ft 7 shorthouse, so these just look & feel awkward & wrong on me!  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)