Damn, I'm a damn clumsy fool

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
I'm heavy handed.  i break things all the time (though usually have a light touch with guitar gear...) 

The fuse just went in my 5E3.  Took the fuse out in haste, the retaining spring shoots off into the abyss. 

Anyone know now where I get those little springs from? New fuse can't make contact until I find it.  Amp is useless without it....dammit!

Sometimes its the silliest things.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited March 2017
    Maplins ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It's got to be in the room somewhere…

The problem will be finding the exact right size otherwise - there are approximately four million known fuseholder designs, and they're all different in subtly clever ways which make none of the parts compatible with any other.

The next problem is that you also probably have a blown power valve or rectifier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    Valves are all new.  I bought the amp here, but it's was a pig. Beautifully wired on top, but wiring made no sense on the back. Noisy as hell. 

I had the amp completely rebuilt by Barry Vyse. Sounds staggeringly good now.  However, likely a legacy from the previous owner, but wrong value fuse was in play. 0.5a instead of 2a.  So hoping valves are all still good.  Have spares anyway....
    0.5A might be OK for a 5E3 at 240V I think - certainly 1A would be. 2A is too big, that's the original value for 110V.

Valves being brand new makes it more likely that one is faulty, rather than less... but hard to tell with a possibly marginal fuse value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

They've had a good 12 hours on them. That's about it. Three of those running at full pelt. 
    It blew on startup from cold the following day.  Light came on, then faded away. 
    That does sound more hopefully like just blowing on the startup surge.

Find that spring :).

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

wrap a paperclip around a pencil?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've made a temporary spring, chopped up the spring from a ballpoint.... will have to do until I find the damn thing...
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Spring from a biro to get you by? 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Chris_J said:
    Spring from a biro to get you by? 
    Beat me to it!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Kit-kat wrapper.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    If I can't find the spring, I'll likely just fit a whole new fuse jack. http://www.rattleanddrum.com/fender-fuse-holder-and-caps-pack-of-2.html
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    0.5A might be OK for a 5E3 at 240V I think - certainly 1A would be. 2A is too big, that's the original value for 110V.

Valves being brand new makes it more likely that one is faulty, rather than less... but hard to tell with a possibly marginal fuse value.
    Yup, 2A offers little-to-no protection on a 240v 5E3. I've seen shorted valves take out Screen filters before the 2A fuse has popped. I use 0.8A in my builds.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:

Yup, 2A offers little-to-no protection on a 240v 5E3. I've seen shorted valves take out Screen filters before the 2A fuse has popped. I use 0.8A in my builds.
    I would fit a HT fuse as well - all valve amps, especially those with resistors for the screen supply instead of chokes, should have them really.

Marshall doing so on the JTM45 when Fender didn't on the 5F6-A is one of the only times Marshall got something right that Fender got wrong...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    HT?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Get a magnet on a string and walk round the room dangling it to try and find the spring! (assuming it's ferrous of course)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Did that.  Wil have to get forensic! Magnifying glass time

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    HT?
    A separate fuse in the HT (B+) rail, usually fast blow and rated at twice the HT current or the nearest standard value to that
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

I'll mention that to Barry at Vyse :)
    Mains transformer shorted.  Glad I didn't shove a 2a fuse in there. May have been worse damage.