PRS now selling 57/08 pickups

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
Spotted this on twitter the other night, only in the US at the minute, but they'll likely turn up in the U.K. store at some point. 

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/pickups/products/57-08-pickups

Nice pickups, but not so keen on the price!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Wow they've given the pickup specs!  Paul has always been very guarded about that they never give out the magnet type just stating alnico or ceramic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I suspect this is an interesting reflection on the state of the market. Smith always said these would never be available separately - clearly the aim was to sell you a new guitar with them fitted.

Presumably the profit on these is vast - therefore a useful income stream in a 'challenging' environment....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited March 2017
    Indeed and silly to restrict things like he did when demand appears to have been there but people swapped them out and sold them, anyway.

Perhaps if Line 6 had made the Variax available as a kit, they would've had more success.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Nooooo, I always wanted a set for that violet guitar lol.
    I don't see any uncovered option?
    Amazing pickups.
  • You can usually get covers off fairly easily. These are nice pickups, much prefer them to older PRS pickups
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    $220 EACH?
    No wonder dentists and lawyers have to charge so much.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    edited March 2017
    To be fair they are incredible sounding pickups... have some early versions in my 2009 PRS and they are easily the best humbuckers I've used.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Amazing pickups.
    @thomasross20 just buy a secondhand set.  I had to hunt for a while but eventually picked up some for £200.  

How do you find the 85/15s now you've had them for a while? 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    It's magnets and copper, the price is horrific. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    From when I was a big PRS Dealer a few years ago I acquired 2 sets of 57/08 pick-ups - brand new and boxed and never used - satin nickel covers with no engraved 57/08 on them - I was keeping them until I found something suitable to fit them on but never really got round to it - £275 a pair - 1 pair is suitable for 5 way switch the other set is suitable for 3 way switch (plus coil tap if required)

interested in them? - then  PM, e-mail on info@guitars4you.co.uk or call me on 01335 345777
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    https://uk.prsaccessories.com/collections/pickups

just keep an eye on the above site for them.
    Adam_MD said:
    Amazing pickups.
    @thomasross20 just buy a secondhand set.  I had to hunt for a while but eventually picked up some for £200.  

How do you find the 85/15s now you've had them for a while? 
    They're brilliant but @Evilmags  now has that guitar. :)
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I suspect this is an interesting reflection on the state of the market. Smith always said these would never be available separately - clearly the aim was to sell you a new guitar with them fitted.

Presumably the profit on these is vast - therefore a useful income stream in a 'challenging' environment....
    I think there must have been massive demand for PRS to sell these individually.

I,ve got a set on one of my guitars and they are really good paf type pickups. 

Expensive yes.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    I agree they're a really good pup. How much of that is the singlecut they're in i can't say. The treble snappy, clear & very well defined for a bucker. The neck warm and rounded but not flubby on the bass strings (relatively speaking for an AII).
    I'd happily recommend them.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Collings said:I think there must have been massive demand for PRS to sell these individually.

Expensive yes.
    I'm sure there was/is demand - my point is that Paul used to want to sell you a new guitar, rather than just the pick-ups as (presumably) that made good business sense.

I was reflecting that his change of heart may illustrate how tough the market has become and that he'd rather get 'some' income in from selling a pair of (admittedly not cheap) pick-ups than sell the same customer nothing - because they can't or won't - buy a new guitar fitted with them.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    Let's face it the market is saturated with PRS guitars these days.  I've had 6 and sold the lot.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    The other thing of course is that 57/08s are no longer the flavour of the month and are no longer standard in most PRS guitars anyway. 85/15s and 58/15s have taken that mantle, and they are both still unavailable separately. Maybe in 8 or 9 years they will be...
    Have to say I prefer 57/08s.... 85/15 split better but (and maybe it's just the wood on my orange guitar) the 57/08 are outstanding. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    Have to say I prefer 57/08s.... 85/15 split better but (and maybe it's just the wood on my orange guitar) the 57/08 are outstanding. 
    not sure when PRS started the partial coil tap settings, but they do sound better IMO, with this simple mod - and if you are handy with tech skills, again a simple mod to alter the resistor value on the partial tap to enhance the split option
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Collings said:I think there must have been massive demand for PRS to sell these individually.

Expensive yes.
    I'm sure there was/is demand - my point is that Paul used to want to sell you a new guitar, rather than just the pick-ups as (presumably) that made good business sense.

I was reflecting that his change of heart may illustrate how tough the market has become and that he'd rather get 'some' income in from selling a pair of (admittedly not cheap) pick-ups than sell the same customer nothing - because they can't or won't - buy a new guitar fitted with them.
    Or alternatively telling people that these wouldn't be available without a guitar, but then changing his mind, makes them seem good value now so that people might buy them? $220 sounds a lot per pickup if he started out selling them separately... but if you thought you'd have to pay $3000 for a PRS guitar with them fitted, suddenly $220 doesn't sound too bad.

Classic anchoring technique.