PRS now selling 57/08 pickups

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I took my PRS SC58 back after it sounded nothing like a Gibson Les Paul (that was their Marketing angle), but 57/08s in a Superstrat maybe? That said, I'd rather just have Seymour Duncan '59s, Dimarzio PAFs, or Bare Knuckle Mules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i had some back when they were new ish and thought they were ok, not a patch on the DGT set i had, now they sounded incredible

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I had 57/08s in a Custom 22 and they were OK but I prefer the Custombuckers in my Gibson R8

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    i had some back when they were new ish and thought they were ok, not a patch on the DGT set i had, now they sounded incredible
    I think the DGT pick-us are now the only set you can't buy - I've seen used sets with a £300 asking price
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Blokey on my local buy n sell FB page had a set up recently that he'd replaced on his PRS...£300 if i recall correcty
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    FFS, It´s a magnet, two bobbins and some wire They are good but they are no better than the Oil City Masterwound PAF alikes in by Archtop. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    I still want to try some oil city's
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Thing is the new PRS pickups have totally different bobbins,  so switching screws the look up. I've got guitars with bare knuckles, bulldogs and oil City.  The originals were changed out for a reason. I would not change the Nocaster hand wound jobs on the tele. The fat 60s on the Strat I would though. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596

I have 57/08s in my Stripped 58.  They're 'OK' but nothing stellar in my opinion.  There was a guy on Facebook trying to sell a pair a few months ago, think he was asking about £800!! :o Pretty sure they didn't sell though.

My favourite buckers are still David Allen P51 Mustangs.  I wouldn't sell the 57/08s simply because it'd devalue the guitar if I ever wanted to sell it, and lets be fair a used PRS doesn't hold much value anyway!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Evilmags said:
    Thing is the new PRS pickups have totally different bobbins,  so switching screws the look up
    Unless you get Ash to rewind your originals like I did :)

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I've never heard a set in the flesh, but can't imagine they would sound that much better or different from a good PAF type pickup. I know PRS generally don't release their pickup specs, but does anyone know what they would be comparable to?