iPhone SE: anyone got/tried one?

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
I'm looking to upgrade my iPhone 4S and thinking that the SE might be the way to go as a good budget-friendly-ish option. Has anyone tried one? Or better still lived with one?
I've been holding off to see if they brought out a new one in March but all they've done is add a 128Gb version to the 16Gb and 64Gb ones.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I've repaired a few ... it's basically a 6S board inside a 5S housing with a 5S screen ... good phone if you don't like the larger normal 6 or 6S but obviously the 5S screen and rear camera it uses are a bit dated 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Danny1969 said:
    I've repaired a few ... it's basically a 6S board inside a 5S housing with a 5S screen ... good phone if you don't like the larger normal 6 or 6S but obviously the 5S screen and rear camera it uses are a bit dated 
    Thanks Danny - how many (relatively) have you had to repair might be an interesting question!
    I'm not so bothered about the screen quality as it's not that big, but that's a bit disappointing about the camera as I was hoping it would be a decent upgrade on mine.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I'm enjoying mine, I'm only a month or so in but it's playing nicely and talking to all my Macs and bluetooth stuff except airdrop which I need to look into when I get a chance
  • I've had one for 6 months. I highly recommend the 64Gb, 16GB would be useless. Very happy with it.  It's lighter than the 4S.  
    I've had one for 6 months. I highly recommend the 64Gb, 16GB would be useless. Very happy with it.  It's lighter than the 4S.  
    Cheers dude, I was wondering that. Although from this afternoon they're removing the 16Gb from the lineup unless you buy old stock. Think I'll go with the 64Gb if I go for it. I like that it's noticeably cheaper than a 6/6s/7
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I've had one for six months as well. I love it. Easy to use, light, fits in the pocket and very nice design. Have had no issues.

I would recommend getting a cover though - I suggest getting a Spigen one off Amazon, they cost under a tenner and do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    BigMonka said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Thanks Danny - how many (relatively) have you had to repair might be an interesting question!
    I'm not so bothered about the screen quality as it's not that big, but that's a bit disappointing about the camera as I was hoping it would be a decent upgrade on mine.
    Oh it's only the usual broken screens, the boards are reliable. As the screen cost about £25 and labour is £20 it's not an expensive phone to repair

The SE does have a good main camera, it's the other camera, the facetime one that's from the 5s
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving mine. To all intents and purposes a 6 in a 5's clothing... Fits in my frame-mounted cycle bag when a 6 wouldn't - was cheap and has fabulous capacity. If you spend your time taking pictures there might be better phones though?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    To all intents and purposes a 6 in a 5's clothing... 
    This was my reason for getting one. The normal 6 is too tall to fit comfortably in my pocket
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited March 2017
    Roland said:
    This was my reason for getting one. The normal 6 is too tall to fit comfortably in my pocket
    My wallet is too tight to get a 6  :-\"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited March 2017
    BigMonka said:
    Roland said:
    My wallet is too tight to get a iPhone of any type. Even if it wasn't, anything that involved letting iTunes back into my life would be a backward step.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    BigMonka said:
    Roland said:
    My wallet is too tight to get a iPhone of any type. Even if it wasn't, anything that involved letting iTunes back into my life would be a backward step.
    Interesting. I wouldn't use itunes as my preferred media player, but as a way of syncing music to my phone I've got no complaints really.
    Dopesick said:
    I've had one for six months as well. I love it. Easy to use, light, fits in the pocket and very nice design. Have had no issues.

I would recommend getting a cover though - I suggest getting a Spigen one off Amazon, they cost under a tenner and do the job.
    That Spigen cover gets good reviews, think I'll probably invest in one if I go with the SE. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    My nephew's had one for about a year and loves it. My 5s is due for an upgrade and I prefer smaller phones so may well go for one myself.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've had mine for about 6 months. It's great - fast, light, small and I think the camera is really good.

Best value iPhone imho 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    My daughter has one. It seems to have developed some kind of symbiotic relationship where it has become permanently bonded to her hand, so I think it must be OK.

I'll almost certainly get one when my 4S is finally too old.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    I staved off upgrading my iPhone 4 for ages as the little trooper just kept on going. However, I finally decided to upgrade the SE a few months ago as there were useful features that I could use with my Mac unavailable to me on the 4. I'm very happy with it. As others have said, it's quick, light and easy to use. Unless you want a better camera, pound for pound it's the best iPhone available imho. Just go for more than 16gb of storage. You'll quickly run out and wished you got more.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    My nephew's had one for about a year and loves it. My 5s is due for an upgrade and I prefer smaller phones so may well go for one myself.
    I went from the 5s to the SE when I upgraded last year. No complaints from me - the higher models are too big to fit in a trouser pocket.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I agree, the 6 & 7 are too big to fit into a pocket. OK for women though, they have handbags.

The problem is, it's so similar to the 5s it's not really persuading me to upgrade.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I have an SE 64GB, had it just over a year.  As others have said its a great phone in a small format.  no complaints here.