Yes! I'm obsessed with with Built To Spill, help me match this lead tone?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
edited March 2017 in FX
I really really love this lead tone on 'Carry The Zero' apologies for poor video quality on the first link.
I know that Doug Martsch uses a Blackface Bassman, 88' Strat Plus no tone knobs! electrics stripped out over time, just the middle pickup, he doesn't use an overdrive i think? just 2 X EP Boosters one for boosting the other for grit, Xotic SP compressor, and maybe a vintage rat or some sort of fuzz made by the other guitarist Jim Roth (Germs FX!) Is there a distortion/fuzz pedal out there that can get reasonably close to this lead tone? I've tried a vintage Rat 2 with my set up and it didn't quite get there, kind of thin/honky sounding, using my Hotcake with the drive set to max nearly got there but sounded a little spluttery! Convincingly I've managed to replicate the gritty sounding overdrive with a Crazy Tube Circuits Blackface Stardust such a fantastic pedal this I love it! but the lead just doesn't work. Any help greatly appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GurrGurrGurrGurr Frets: 8
    Didn't he even play 3 ep boosters?
    If I remember correctly the strat is set on the middle pickup position. Read it somewhere.
    This lead tone sounds like overdriven amp.
    Love bts, too. Hope he'll find a 2nd and 3rd guitarist soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GurrGurr said:
    Didn't he even play 3 ep boosters?
    If I remember correctly the strat is set on the middle pickup position. Read it somewhere.
    This lead tone sounds like overdriven amp.
    Love bts, too. Hope he'll find a 2nd and 3rd guitarist soon.
    He may have used three EP Boosters or three Dunlop Echoplex Preamps? Absolutely fantastic live band! I think the other guitarists are still around? will be interesting to see if he sticks it as three piece, when I last saw them it was just him and Jim Roth, It was still awesome sounding though. Have you managed to catch them live?
  • Massive fan of BTS here. Ive read that Doug stacks up to 3 ep boosters now. In the past he used a danelectro pedal, as well as some pedals made by Jim Roth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Massive fan of BTS here. Ive read that Doug stacks up to 3 ep boosters now. In the past he used a danelectro pedal, as well as some pedals made by Jim Roth
    Great to see some fellow BTS fans on here... still searching for something that can roughly imitate that solo... imagine splashing out a couple of grand on a vintage 64 bassman, three EP boosters and an SP comp only for it to sound like utter shite!
  • Or just get a big sticker saying 'Ben' and stick that on your Strat, maybe that's the secret to the tone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom