Trying to Explain Relicing

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I'm not going to discuss the wrongs or rights of relicing a guitar because that has been done to death, however has anyone tried explaining the whole concept to non guitar playing friends or workmates?

The looks you get are amazing!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I dunno, my wife got it straight away when I used the words "shabby chic"...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    First thing my MIL said when my Cabronita arrived - "is that a SCRATCH?!"

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited March 2017
    Yes - I explain it by saying, "you know those Jeans you can buy new with holes in the knees, that cost more? it's like that." Never ceases to amaze me that either relic Jeans or Relic guitars are a thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5409
    I usually explain it by saying that the guitar has been distressed to look like an old, well-worn instrument, because music is show business and instruments can be as much a prop or an accessory to a look as stage clothes or lighting design. I mean, can you believe that wasn't a REAL Spitfire Pink Floyd crashed into the stage every night on the Wall tour? How inauthentic!

I also point out that devaluing it based on cosmetic blemishes is virtually impossible, and then it sounds even smarter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The bit I don't understand is the 'heavy relic' thing..

My 64P has natural age - bumps, dings, knocks, a patch of buckle rash, some fading and lacquer checking, but in essence it's still shiny in places, the hardware is very lightly corroded but not ridiculous. 

The heavy relics I see look like they have been played continuously for 100 years to wear the paint off, but have been babied at the same time to avoid even the slightest ding. Oh, and they have been buried in the garden for a bit to dirt and rust them up... don't get that at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Levi's and others have done pre-aged clothing for years. A pre-aged Steinway piano? Guess not, but somehow aged guitars look just fine.....so artificially aged i.e. Relic , yes but then again most of my gear was secondhand and the previous owners helped out with the process at no additional charge!
    Ive never had to explain to anyone  why I'd buy something that was artificially damaged though. I'll give it a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited March 2017
    (Stupid baiting comment removed. Sorry and enjoy your relics guys.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited March 2017
    Saw a Rory Gallagher replica Strat for sale on Gumtree the other day, described as "mint condition, no dings or buckle rash"

Eh?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    here we go again.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Babones said:
    here we go again.
    It wouldn't be much of a guitar forum without our monthly relic/non relic punch up you know!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    SNAKEBITE said:

I'm not going to discuss the wrongs or rights of relicing a guitar because that has been done to death, however has anyone tried explaining the whole concept to non guitar playing friends or workmates?

The looks you get are amazing!

leather jackets
    leather bags
    leather shoes and boots
    jeans you mentioned
    pine and oak furniture
    leather sofa
    my face

I needed to put new floor boards down in the bath room - 120 year old house - we just have a rug in the bath room and no additional floor covering so plain floor boards - New shiny wood would look wrong - So I purchased new wood, painted them - stripped them back to bare wood - 'bashed' them a bit and had a joiner fit them - First person to see them said 'nice to see original floor boards in the bath room still' - obviously worked
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I got no problem with it except they always go overboard ... guitars gig'ed for 30 odd years don't suffer half the damage the relic'ers inflict on a guitar.
    It's the falseness that bothers me as it stands out a mile ... you would have to be a real guitar hating sadist to do that to a guitar in everyday use
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I do like the aged vibe so I am part of the converted fan club

However when the guitar playing customers walk in with their partners, most don't get it - they can see the aesthetic beauty in a nice figured top with a perfect gloss finish, regardless of how well it plays - sounding sexists now, but they are using their eyes to judge the guitars value, beauty and appeal - as such relics are not high on the partners 'wow it looks nice' list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5409
    I do like the aged vibe so I am part of the converted fan club

However when the guitar playing customers walk in with their partners, most don't get it - they can see the aesthetic beauty in a nice figured top with a perfect gloss finish, regardless of how well it plays - sounding sexists now, but they are using their eyes to judge the guitars value, beauty and appeal - as such relics are not high on the partners 'wow it looks nice' list
    "This one's cheaper 'cause it's all damaged & broken, sweetie!"
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    You guys talk about these things with your non guitar playing friends, workmates and wives? They must all love you!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    When I had my relic Sandberg the wife asked if it had been kept in a shed for a decade!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Relic'ed guitars can look good it just depends how their made,otherwise they dont look right or are just down right stupid. 
    same can be said for anything really i suppose. An AMG mercedes can look tasteful and desireable whereas a chavy suped up saxo can look all kinds of dumb.

I have a PRS S2 satin with a very thin finish.  I've yet to gig it so its never left my house, I got it just after the birth of my daughter which means i haven't had the time to really play it yet its beginning to look relic'ed all on its own.  The side of the neck where my wedding ring meet has worn slightly showing the lighter wood colour underneath, the rear has buckle rash with wood showing and the lower edge that contact my jeans when i sit to play is worn away too, this is all inside 8 month of light to moderate use and I look forward to using and wearing it out some more.
    tFB Trader
    I did recall a customer one day getting really annoyed in the store maybe 12 months ago - The opening question was how much is that old Strat - I said it was  a new guitar, so he pointed at it and said a bit louder 'I mean that old one' - I said I know which one you mean and it is  a new guitar - I tried to explain about it and he would not have it - He even got f-ing and blinding about it and why would Fender ever do such a thing - He left then the store only to came back 5 mins later and asked if he was taking the p*ss and winding him up - He just would not have it - It dawned on me a touch later that how come he was not aware of new aged guitars - it is not as though they are a new addition to the range - obviously not been in many stores, read the mags etc etc  - maybe I should have just said it is 8 grand and then see how the conversation went 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited March 2017
    At least Tesla are pioneering it for cars.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/images/17/500_o16128.jpg

But it was Father Ted who was the trailblazer in that area.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vcNiYQgsBUU/hqdefault.jpg

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom