Unblocking A Sink

What's Hot

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    I thought you said you had cleaned the sump at the ubend. I assume you have unscrewed that? If not  @Emp_Fab is right that is the first thing i would do if a simple one didn't work. If the sump is full everything head to the drain things block faster there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    ...looks like you need to break the coat hanger out...!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It most likely is something beyond the U bend as that's about as far as the water gets. Ah well Marigolds here I come =)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

something beyond the U bend
    Excellent name for a band.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    Sometimes a garden hose connected to a tap can shift it,
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Sporky said:
    VimFuego said:

I believe you can get chemicals to clear it.

The chap in the plumbing shop told me not to pour the whole bottle of concentrated sulphuric acid down the drain in one go.

True, I nearly died, and both sets of neighbours have since moved out, but the drains run freely.

Yeah don't "check its working" by peering over the sink for ages. Put the chemical in, walk away and close the door behind you. I think adding a bit of water to dilute it, is on the instructions too.

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    57Deluxe said:

Problems like that can usually be solved by moving house and never telling the new residents your forwarding address.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28033
    paul_c2 said:

Yeah don't "check its working" by peering over the sink for ages. Put the chemical in, walk away and close the door behind you. I think adding a bit of water to dilute it, is on the instructions too.

I didn't have time to peer anywhere - a portal to hell opened in the drain and out came Satan's own noxious vapours. No warning, no mercy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    SimonC said:

something beyond the U bend
    Excellent name for a band.
    Oooh :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Mine has had standing water since last weekend.

I've tried cleaning out the U bend, along with combinations of salt/water and caustic soda/vinegar but to no avail. Plunging it makes little difference. There's no obvious block, that I can find, but the water simply refuses to drain when I pull the plug.

I'm a council tenant so I'll be asking for a plumber dude to come round but in the meantime is there anything other than swearing loudly at the sink that might help?

Ta

Most Council flats have their main stack drain pipe enclosed behind a wall. If the blockage is severe, the Council Plumber(s) will require access to the main stack. They will not want to use a pressure hose as this could affect other residents.

I had a similar problem - severe bathroom sink pipe blockage -  and the Council Plumber wanted to knock the wall down to get to the main stack. However, I am a leaseholder so I eventually had to call a private plumber who advised me to use sulphuric acid. But, I didn't after speaking with an oldboy at Travis Perkins..    

I can recommend this Instant Power Hair and Grease Drain Opener from B&Q:-  

http://www.diy.com/departments/instant-power-drain-opener-bottle-1-l/262416_BQ.prd ;

There are two types available. Buy the one in the black plastic bottle - not the yellow bottle.

First, you have to suck out all the standing water in the downpipe through the sinkhole so as not to dilute the chemical. Then pour half a bottle of the chemical into the sink. Leave for a couple of hours. You will hear some gurgling noises as the chemical acts. Don't be tempted to run any water. Leave the chemical until the morning to work its magic, and with a bit of luck the drain pipe should be clear - possibly even under 3 hours.  

HEALTH & SAFETY: You do not require safety goggles or gloves to use this product, but be careful when pouring down the sink hole so that there isn't splash back into your eyes. Just keep the plastic bottle at arm's length and you should be fine,
    rocktron said:

HEALTH & SAFETY: You do not require safety goggles or gloves to use this product
    You most certainly do - it's powdered Lye.

Read the safety sheet from the manufacturer:

http://scotchcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/MSDS-1969-70.pdf

Googles, gloves, protective clothing and face shield.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited March 2017
    be very careful mixing chemicals @TheBlueWolf & preferably avoid altogether. seriously!

when i was at college i used to be an evening cleaner (toilets too & not ashamed to say, i was broke so did what i had to do) & we all had to take bics courses before they would let us even wipe a window or fill a bucket.
    cleaners ending up in emergency due to fume inhalation from bad mixing is not as rare as it should be. along with gung ho boys who get caught out
    firing multiple chems down blocked toilets as if they were playing laser quest ('top gear' poo-pooing health & safety have a lot to answer for).

plumbers expensive. lungs priceless.

"
    Bleach + Acid
    Common cleaning agents like Toilet cleaner often contain hydrochloric acid, which when mixed with bleach can create chlorine gas, this is a highly toxic substance and if this gas is inhaled the symptoms are shortness of breath and chest pain. This gas was also used to kill during the first world war, this is very dangerous and these two products should never be mixed."

http://www.irongategroup.co.uk/blog/why-you-should-never-mix-cleaning-chemicals/
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a32773/cleaning-products-never-mix/

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    57Deluxe said:

jesus mary and joseph! I bet that smarted on its way out. I am such a child, that made me laugh a lot.

I knew a bloke who was a nutter body bulder,steroid head and general loon. He'd eat tons of protein and would regularly drop brown trouts like that monster. Once we photo'd it and put the picture up on the fireplace in the front room. He saw the photo and went mental into a steroid rage, smashed the room up. We hid, crying laughing. Happy days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12348
    Snap said:
    57Deluxe said:

jesus mary and joseph! I bet that smarted on its way out. I am such a child, that made me laugh a lot.

I knew a bloke who was a nutter body bulder,steroid head and general loon. He'd eat tons of protein and would regularly drop brown trouts like that monster. Once we photo'd it and put the picture up on the fireplace in the front room. He saw the photo and went mental into a steroid rage, smashed the room up. We hid, crying laughing. Happy days.
    We had a kid at school who did a monster poo when we were away on a school trip to the Isle of Wight. It refused to flush away so eventually one of the teachers had to chop it into pieces with a table knife taped to a bamboo cane. You can imagine just how hysterical a load of 10 year old kids found the whole thing, the kid was famous for the rest of the year. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Snap said:
    57Deluxe said:

We had a kid at school who did a monster poo when we were away on a school trip to the Isle of Wight. It refused to flush away so eventually one of the teachers had to chop it into pieces with a table knife taped to a bamboo cane. You can imagine just how hysterical a load of 10 year old kids found the whole thing, the kid was famous for the rest of his excellent life. 

FTFY.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    robgilmo said:
    Sometimes a garden hose connected to a tap can shift it,
    Please remember to video it, if you do this.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    vale said:

"Bleach + Acid
    Common cleaning agents like Toilet cleaner often contain hydrochloric acid, which when mixed with bleach can create chlorine gas, this is a highly toxic substance and if this gas is inhaled the symptoms are shortness of breath and chest pain. This gas was also used to kill during the first world war, this is very dangerous and these two products should never be mixed."
    That was a question in my GCSE Chemistry exam and it's stuck with me. Particularly the phrase "clouds of toxic chlorine gas".
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Disconnect the waste pipe at the U bend.  Get some garden hose, one end attached to the mains supply [tap turned off].  Insert other end into waste pipe, seal around joint with an old towel and grip the seal strongly.  Someone else turns on the tap, the mains pressure is usually enough to unblock just about any waste pipe this side of Alaska.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Kitchen roll tube over plughole. Blow. Best performed nude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    A shotgun works wonders