Find me a 'metal gig to go to!

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
edited February 2014 in Music
Following on from the Best Gigs discussion.

I would like to take Eric Jr Jr ( aka my 13 year old son) to a decent heavy modern metal gig - biggish crowd, big lights kind of deal. Would need to be localish ( West Midlands).

I just haven't got the foggiest who is touring or expected to be touring. So, this is bands like Lamb of God and, err, well, really I don't know. Just not my kind of thing but I can usually enjoy almost anything live and I own a black t shirt.

Any suggestions? Real bands who are really about to tour?

He likes the idea of Download. But, that ain't gonna happen!
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Dream Theater are doing a UK tour in the coming weeks
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Dream Theater are doing a UK tour in the coming weeks
    Ahh. I shall ask him. They are playing Wolverhampton on a saturday so that would be good.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691

You gotta go, it's a spectacle to behold.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • You just missed Lamb of God, I believe.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I think the new(ish) not-too-heavy band Slayer is due on these shores in the not-too distant future

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Failing that a copy of Classic Rock or Metal Hammer should have a gig listing.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Careful, some venues can be restrictive on age.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:
    I think the new(ish) not-too-heavy band Slayer is due on these shores in the not-too distant future

"Slayer" Trigger' s Broom now, IMO

mike_l said:

"Slayer" Trigger' s Broom now, IMO
    Not quite, as both Tom Araya and Kerry King are both stil in the band.

• chillidoggy;153027" said:
    Careful, some venues can be restrictive on age.
    Yes, that's why generally better off with big venues.
    Although £55 a ticket for Dream Theatre is quite steep for a band neither of us knows.

• RvBRvB Frets: 0
    Kill Switch Engage and Trivium are at Birmingham 02 Academy on the 6th. You have indeed just missed Lamb Of God, saw them in Bristol and it was a great show!  Erm what else... Devil Driver and Sylosis at Wolverhampton Wulf Run on the 5th April, Five finger Death Punch at Birmingham on the 28th March.

Other than Lamb of God what's he into? I've been taking my lads (12 and 15 now) to metal gigs for a couple of years, some venues only want under 14's in seating areas, some don't mind and leave it up to you, but it can be very rough in the pits!!
  • I'm no fan of Trivium, but saw them supporting Slayer on one of the Unholy Alliance shows (Wolves Civic Hall), and purely in terms of how tight they were and how technically proficient, they have to be the "best" live band I have ever seen. Now, if only I actually liked their music...:-/

@mike_l is quite right about Slayer, ignore my pre-breakfast grouchiness above!

My current favourite "must see" Metal band, although not sure quite how snuggly they fit into that genre, is Down...but again they're not currently touring...

• RvB said:
    Kill Switch Engage and Trivium are at Birmingham 02 Academy on the 6th. You have indeed just missed Lamb Of God, saw them in Bristol and it was a great show!  Erm what else... Devil Driver and Sylosis at Wolverhampton Wulf Run on the 5th April, Five finger Death Punch at Birmingham on the 28th March.

Other than Lamb of God what's he into? I've been taking my lads (12 and 15 now) to metal gigs for a couple of years, some venues only want under 14's in seating areas, some don't mind and leave it up to you, but it can be very rough in the pits!!
    I only know who Lamb of God are!
    Seated would be good.For the Five Finger gig we would have to be seated in the balcony by the look of it, which would be fine.It's the O2 - one of those venues I probably know as something else because I haven't been for 20 years.

• O2 Academy is the old "Dome" nightclub. Nice venue now, to be honest, balcony is good.

• RocknRollDave;153163" said:
    O2 Academy is the old "Dome" nightclub. Nice venue now, to be honest, balcony is good.
    it is 20 years then!

I've seen Trivium a couple of times, they've always been fantastic live.

I saw them supporting Maiden on the Matter of Life and Death tour, they stoped playing cos some dick kept throwing things at them. When he tried to retreat into the crowd he kinda left his feet and got carried forwards. Once he left the building they carried on playing.

• mike_l said:

I've seen Trivium a couple of times, they've always been fantastic live.

I saw them supporting Maiden on the Matter of Life and Death tour, they stoped playing cos some dick kept throwing things at them. When he tried to retreat into the crowd he kinda left his feet and got carried forwards. Once he left the building they carried on playing.

Trivium are playing Birmingham this week but its sold out.
    \m/ :( \m/
  • Check on the metal gigs website

http://www.metalgigs.co.uk/event/index

Old Is Gold

@mike_l is quite right about Slayer, ignore my pre-breakfast grouchiness above!

I'll forgive you. This time. Still I don't think they're anywhere near as good without Jeff Hanneman.

• It's Lombardo I'd miss, personally.