What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
So, guys - any good ?

Any users thoughts ?

The Fender 2 Amos sound mega 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The sounds are great.  No doubt about it.
    However, the whole shtick in A4 where you choose a preset which looks good only to find that you've then got to go and purchase it additionally became such an irritating pain in the arse that I just stick with NI Guitar Rig. 
    I do not want my software to constantly be annoying me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited March 2017
    It sounds good, IMO, but not great. A decent pedalboard direct into the interface with good impulses will likely sound better; I know mine does.
    <space for hire>
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited March 2017
    Although I have (and have tried) many ampsims, I'm currently only using two collections, which are S-Gear 2 and Amplitube 4 Fender Collection 2. They're used exclusively on all my recent Sotm, Rotm and RRotm entries.
    I really like Amplitube Fender Collection 2.
    It's not a competition.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Guitar rig is also worth  a look. S-gear is very good too
  • I agree that your basic setup going in direct with some IRs or so on makes it unnecessary (I have an H&K amp with built in RedBox).

Amplitube does have its uses, though. Because I generally don't lug my amps around, I use it to practice a set on the 'same' backline amps I'm going to be using at the gig (in Japan, it's almost always a Jazz Chorus and a JCM2000).
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sgear 2 for me.... although I use helix more and more.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I think it's ok but I don't find many of the models amazing. S Gear 2 is better. The best tone I got with amplitube was actually with version 3 but I've long since lost the patch. Is there any way I can "backwards compatible" with amplitube 4 it to find my old patch and settings? 

This was the track I used it on, I'm pretty sure I was using a tweaked 900rocks preset

Listen to Maps3 by tom_the_beast #np on #SoundCloud
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    I expect you've already heard the Greg Koch YouTube demo of Amplitube Fender Collection 2. If not it's worthing checking.
    It's not a competition.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I expect you've already heard the Greg Koch YouTube demo of Amplitube Fender Collection 2. If not it's worthing checking.
    I have mate, and it sounds incredible ! 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    To be fair Greg Koch could make a ukelele played through a old radio sound good..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Well, Ive downloaded Amplitube 4 and S Gear... 

I much prefer the layout AND the looper of the A4, but S Gear sounds instantly better to my ears.

I guess the solution is to use and try both with Garageband/Logic.

I did want to use the iRig blueboard to control the looper...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I much prefer the layout AND the looper of the A4, but S Gear sounds instantly better to my ears.

Your new digital life doesn't seem to be any less gass-free. Are you now on a mission to collect every virtual amp on the planet. In a more keeping note, I've found Amplitude pretty average, Sgear is better but even that left me a little cold.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    My experience of Amplitube is that like most other plugin amp sims, it sounds fine for clean tones and is probably OK for high gain distortion but falls a bit flat when it comes to edge of breakup sounds.
    dindude said:

Your new digital life doesn't seem to be any less gass-free. Are you now on a mission to collect every virtual amp on the planet. In a more keeping note, I've found Amplitude pretty average, Sgear is better but even that left me a little cold.
    Actually mate, I've found the whole digital thing to be liberating me from GAS... I've had a huge sell-off, and banked some welcome corn; also, I'm learning so much more now, about how and what makes sound work. The advantage of the digital stuff is that it can teach me about mic placement, cabs etc. @Jonathanthomas83 may have had a similar release...

Analogue real amp wise I feel Im sorted; Rambler and Redplate, via Theory FX Veteran into Big Sky, Timeline - sorted.

It's time to make music, like I used to... back into Garageband and Logic for me :)

Thus far, I'm really liking the S Gear.
  • Chuffed to bits, you're learning about this stuff, Warren, me too. Sounds like we're on a very similar journey!

And yes, GAS is gone, how temporary that is, I'm not sure, but I'm good for now. Guitars may just be the only thing I have my eye on for a while! Makes a change! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Question...does the Kemper act as a USB interface too? Would have thought the sounds you could get through the Kemper would be better/just as good as software, for recording, no?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    kemper great as an interface, but I'm a visual person... and the interface on the Mac helps no end. 

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I use A4 for most recorded guitar sounds these days. I think it sounds good but I like to build bespoke patches matched to the guitar. I think most modelers don't do the break up sounds that well but are good at clean and distortion sounds. Guitar rig is OK too. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:

Actually mate, I've found the whole digital thing to be liberating me from GAS... I've had a huge sell-off, and banked some welcome corn; also, I'm learning so much more now, about how and what makes sound work. The advantage of the digital stuff is that it can teach me about mic placement, cabs etc. @Jonathanthomas83 may have had a similar release...

Analogue real amp wise I feel Im sorted; Rambler and Redplate, via Theory FX Veteran into Big Sky, Timeline - sorted.

It's time to make music, like I used to... back into Garageband and Logic for me :)

Thus far, I'm really liking the S Gear.
    Fair dos, sounds like you've got all bases covered.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    IMO if you already have Logic, the amp sims that come with it are better than Amplitube.