Chord Of The Week 25/3/17 - a B5add9 from "What I Am" by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians

bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
After last week's open-voiced A5add9 5xx45x from "What Can I Do" by The Corrs, I was reminded so strongly of the song "What I Am" by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians that I thought I had better do their version this week. Once again the principle is to take this ambiguous chord, this time in the key of B, and move the shape round the progression. This song is overall in B minor, so the chord progression is Bm D A Bm but it is played in parallel 5add9 chords which are ambiguous between minor and major:
B5add9 D5add9 A5add9 B5add9

I had assumed until I saw the video this morning that the shape held down was B5add9 x24422 with the emphasis on the 5th string and the top two strings so you're effectively playing x2xx22. However when you catch the third string it sounds a bit two dense, and I saw from the video that although the acoustic guitarist is playing this shape at 2:04, the electric guitarist at 2:09 is playing

B5add9 x24622

which doubles the B note xxx62x on the 2nd and 3rd string and stops the voicing getting too close.

You can see this week's chord at 2:09 (Plus the cheat version at 2:04!) in this video

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments