I`ve just mown the lawn

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
No big deal to most but a year ago I would be in A&E by now having just walked passed someone mowing the lawn.

Sever asthma caused by allergies plagued me for years, walking off golf courses was a favorite, had to stop brewing due to live yeast, had to change occupation due to dust etc (among other things), was using a Ventolin every 14 days and diagnosed with COPD, living on Prednisolone and antibiotics to fend of "chest infections".

However after a week in hospital for testing in 2015 it was discovered that it wasn`t COPD, I was just allergic to all sorts and last July I started receiving Xolair treatment, fortnightly injections that completely prevent allergies.

I kid you not it`s like flicking a switch, use a Ventolin maybe 4 times a week now, am now not allergic to anything, have fostered a cat, AND mowed the lawn, lung capacity has also increased 62%!

Just thought I`d share as well chuffed and looking forward to Summer, might even have the first beer of the year later
0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Pleased for you mate. Asthma can be nasty if not managed properly. My missus was prescribed with a pink inhaler last year, you wouldn't think she had it now and is well pleased herself.

Take care!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386

Deadman said:
    Pleased for you mate. Asthma can be nasty if not managed properly. My missus was prescribed with a pink inhaler last year, you wouldn't think she had it now and is well pleased herself.

If it's the pinky/purpley one - Seretide - changed my life, just one puff before bed and that's it - no more Ventolin.

Good to hear @Tone71 ;
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Jalapeno said:

Deadman said:

If it's the pinky/purpley one - Seretide - changed my life, just one puff before bed and that's it - no more Ventolin.

Good to hear @Tone71 ;
    Ah, so that's what it's called. Never thought to ask. It's good to know she's safe mind. Thought I'd lost her once about 20 years ago. It used to be a nightmare. Thank God for modern medicine.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    if you want more practice - mine is available...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Now get her to mow her lawn.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats fantastic, as a fellow asthmatic i'm delighted for you!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    I thought this was about lazy bastards finally facing up to the inevitable onslaught of mother nature and dragging their pale bodies from the sofa and into the sunlight for the first of many battles with the relentless green army.

Initially I thought "Oh - it's just about someone with asthma."  Then I realised it's about someone going into battle with an injury and overcoming the odds.  I can see a screenplay here.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    p.s. - be grateful you don't have a dog that you've let shit in the garden all winter.  Before I can start mowing I have to scour the lawn for turds, most of which will have deteriorated into mush by now, and try to pick them up.  Hittting a rotting mushy dog turd with a mower blade is not one of life's best experiences.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I went to mow the lawn yesterday and my lawnmower is absolutely fucked - only four years old, too. 

Any recommendations for a petrol, rotary, self propelled effort, that isn't a Qualcast?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    is prob just a waxed up carb - especially if you left fuel in it over winter...

TBH - you can get a brand new complete carb replacement off AliEx for less than a tenner Is much easier to swap it out than muck about trying to clean in out.

http://tinyurl.com/l5elv7c

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Emp_Fab said:
    p.s. - be grateful you don't have a dog that you've let shit in the garden all winter.  Before I can start mowing I have to scour the lawn for turds, most of which will have deteriorated into mush by now, and try to pick them up.  Hittting a rotting mushy dog turd with a mower blade is not one of life's best experiences.

Don't be blaming the dog cos you couldn't be arsed to clean up the dogshit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    57Deluxe said:
    is prob just a waxed up carb - especially if you left fuel in it over winter...

TBH - you can get a brand new complete carb replacement off AliEx for less than a tenner Is much easier to swap it out than muck about trying to clean in out.

http://tinyurl.com/l5elv7c

It started ok and then just died.  Tried to start it again and the blade span off.  Screwed blade back on and now can't pull the ignition thing - stuck fast.  Think there's a bit missing now.... and the grass box is held together with bits of wire. 

Definitely time for a new one, especially as the going rate for a service/repair seems to be over £100....

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The gardener (my dad) is just doing ours.

It looks exhausting.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Just done mine, first time since last year, the idea is to pick dog shit up in a daily basis, I still hit one that was lurking in a patch of long grass though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    RobDavies said:
    I went to mow the lawn yesterday and my lawnmower is absolutely fucked - only four years old, too. 

Any recommendations for a petrol, rotary, self propelled effort, that isn't a Qualcast?
    Seems about as long as the fucker last. Professional ones last a lot longer (Honda, ect) but are silly expensive. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    Honda will last decades. The metal deck in my dad's rotted beyond repair last year after about 20 years (some preventative welding would have sorted it) but the engine was still good. 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Previous Honda was great, current still has a Honda motor, but is a Hayter - rubbish unless grass is totally dry !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited March 2017
    We have a Mountfied Empress electric mower but it's a substantial piece of kit with a metal deck like a petrol model.

Its probably 20 year plus in terms of age. We bought it used for peanuts two years ago and it's been abused keeping on top of our garden regularly. But it still goes - I know I would have killed a modern one by now...

I used it for the first cut of 2017 yesterday and it was faultless as usual.

So unless somethings changed like they are thrown together with generic parts these days, I'd throw Mountfield into the ring as a contender.

Back to the OP - congrats, as a year round allergy sufferer to various known and unknown triggers, I can imagine what a relief it must be for someone with such a severe problem.
    Previously known as stevebrum