PRS DGT vs PRS Tremonti

What's Hot
knox318knox318 Frets: 7
Has anyone owned both? Can share their opinions on them?

I used to own a DGT and loved it - great tone, loved the playability and the tremolo

However, I grew up playing Les Pauls and I am very accustomed to having two tone controls and the pickup selector above the pickups 

I mainly play classic/hard /southern rock - Guns n' Roses, AC DC etc. and wouldn't venture into metal territory very often

I am sure the DGT and Tremonti are very different beasts, and at this point, I am thinking the Tremonti pickups will be too hot for the styles I play? Any thoughts on this? (maybe mistaken?)

If I changed the pickups on a Tremonti to DGT pickups or PAF pickups do you think you'd be in DGT single cut territory?? 

The problem I have is that I can't try a Tremonti in a music shop in  Northern Ireland, so would either have to buy used unseen or wait until I am over in the UK mainland again

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I think it really depends on whether you want a trem or not.
  • knox318knox318 Frets: 7
    Sorry, I probably should have said I was interested in the Tremonti with the trem 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    ennspek said:
    They both have trems?

Interested in this.  I love my DGT and have always tended to discount the Tremonti because it doesn't have the big frets and I don't generally like hot pickups.  But I do wonder if that's accurate.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    as an overview, the more gain you use the more the Tremonti comes into play - The neck pick-up on the Tremonti is more than useful in a clean or less overdriven amp setting - But bone crunching riffs and screamin lead then the Tremonti should win
    DGT is more classic rock blues and more of a LP flavour - it can rock, but more melodic and softer than the Tremonti

Coil tap option on the DGT - non on the Tremonti - so some useful single coil tones on the DGT

Wide/thin profile on the Tremonti - more of a  standard profile on the DGT - tad slimmer nut width and a tad more depth

1 of each might be a good compromise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ennspek said:
    They both have trems?

Interested in this.  I love my DGT and have always tended to discount the Tremonti because it doesn't have the big frets and I don't generally like hot pickups.  But I do wonder if that's accurate.
    Yeah my bad. I always think of the handrail Tremonti. Not sure why.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Get a Tremonti with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups.  Works for me.   =)
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I've had both, still got the Tremonti. 

They are are pretty different. As said, the DGT has more depth to the neck but a skinner width and the Tremonti is the opposite. The DGT is great in and around the blues rock territory and the Tremonti is a rock/metal screamer. It starts sounding great the more gain you give it. 

Id say neither are the guitar you want in the PRS range - you need a 594 singlecut or on the used market a stripped 58 or singlecut. It seems silly to buy a Tremonti for the 'Les Paul' style considering it has a slim neck, a tremolo and hot pickups!