Charvel bridge pickup recommendations

What's Hot
Looking for some suggestions for a new bridge pickup for a Charvel So Cal.

It currently has a DiMarzio Tone Zone fitted which isn't terrible but I find it a little muddy with not enough clarity at times.

I'm thinking of possibly changing for a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Duncan custom 5, custom custom etc are all good. I have a custom 5, and it's tight and bright.

Ash at oil city might be able to help, and probably for less money.

Lastly, the Super distortion is a great pickup. It's more classic voiced, so maybe not tight enough for you, but very versatile. Word is, the old ones sound better but I've used a new one and it's a great pickup.
  • Suhr Aldrich every time!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Bulldog Extremist, speak to Hayden and get him to make you one to Clarky spec.

I like the p/up's in my So-Cal, and don't find any muddiness. Maybe try lowering the unit a little. Mine sounded way better when I lowered them a little.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The Custom Custom is a good choice - a friend of mine had one in his San Dimas and it sounded great. Or get Oil City to make something similar. The JB also works well, although that was the pickup the CC replaced… it was more focused and aggressive, whereas the CC was beefier-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    I'd have said if you really want to get rid of mud, I'd avoid the CC- it's brighter than a tone zone but the alnico II magnet isn't exactly the tightest under high gain. The custom or custom V would be better options, if you ask me.

A paf pro is very clear, but might not have enough output.

Or just get something handwound, as people have been saying. That's what I'd probably do. I don't dislike duncans and dimarzios as much as I used to, but I still reckon they're expensive in the UK/Europe for what you get when you can get a handwound pickup for a fair bit less. If they come stock on a guitar, great- but I wouldn't pay to retrofit them, really, in most situations (unless you know that a specific model from either of them is absolutely a perfect fit for what you want and nothing else you've tried is).
  • I'd suggest a SD Screamin' Demon if it's clarity you want. Superb pickup in the bridge position of a superstrat.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    mike_l said:

I like the p/up's in my So-Cal, and don't find any muddiness. Maybe try lowering the unit a little. Mine sounded way better when I lowered them a little.

Exactly this. When I got mine out of the box, the pickups were set stupidly high and it was mud central.
  • Will try lowering them and see if that improves the situation any. If not perhaps see if one of the above UK companies can make something that suits. Cheers guys.
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    I was going to say the Tone Zone - I love that pickup!
  • Stick an Evo in it I have one in the bridge of my passive Charvel and it performs beautifully.