A working guitarist may have out-rigged even the best of the forum.... Mayer content!

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30891
    Oh, and by the way, for the sharp eyed, the pedals phycially are on top of Bradshaw made pedal switchers....so maybe he's using more than one stage at big venues, like Jonny Buckland of Coldsore does.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Bidley said:
    How does an artist as musically beige as Mayer get so much hate and so many rabid fanboys?
    His Continuum album was one of the reasons why I picked up a guitar. It's well worth a listen whether you're into pop-blues or not. Not a fan-boi though... his other stuff has been very hit and miss (probably much more miss). There's no doubt he comes over as a bit of a douche too, which irritates people.

Back to the thread topic though. My guess is it might be set up in rows for each song. Button for verse/chorus/solo etc?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BBBlues said:
    Bidley said:
    How does an artist as musically beige as Mayer get so much hate and so many rabid fanboys?
    His Continuum album was one of the reasons why I picked up a guitar. It's well worth a listen whether you're into pop-blues or not. Not a fan-boi though... his other stuff has been very hit and miss (probably much more miss). There's no doubt he comes over as a bit of a douche too, which irritates people.

Back to the thread topic though. My guess is it might be set up in rows for each song. Button for verse/chorus/solo etc?
    9, 504 of them? No way.

You use a bank per song. Simple. So you have 16 patches for each song and 99 banks.

I helped programme Steve Mac's (Aussie Floyd) system for a whole 2.5 hour FLoyd trib show and in total there were about 98 patches, arranged in consecutive running order, but, in fairness, we used one bank per song on a midi swithcers (Axess) that had 99 banks. So- Another Brick- Intro (dirt/delay) Verse (Comp, Flanger, Delay)  Chours (add dirt), Verse, Chorus, Solo 1 (comp, tube driver, flanger, delay) Solo 2 (add muff for the tube driver) so that is 7 or 8 patches per song, give or take.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    No doubt you're right. I have no experience compared to that :) Maybe he just likes fucking with people on guitar forums!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BBBlues said:
    No doubt you're right. I have no experience compared to that :) Maybe he just likes fucking with people on guitar forums!
    In fairness, I have my midi system set up in 2 modes- stomp per pedal mode, and then I've got my preset banks but I've nly bothered with those for finding out how it all works - I have programmed the whole of Shine On on it and I also did Just on it too.

Here's the thing though- Mayer's (genius that he is) is nowhere near as effects laden as Floydy, U2, Coldsore or Radiohead stuff. I have programmed Shine On in mine and that's got 11 different patches and EQ changes and I can't see many mayer tracks having that many FX changes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Bidley said:
    I don't think hate is the right word, cynically disinterested is more like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    I don't think hate is the right word, cynically disinterested is more like it. 
    I have no issue with JM- it's great to see a young pop star playing 'proper' music rather than say the vacuous Red Bull jitter ad thats Justin TImberlake.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28146
    Gassage said:
    I have programmed Shine On in mine and that's got 11 different patches and EQ changes
    Not sure you got it right then. Have another listen.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    edited March 2017
    Sporky said:
    Gassage said:
    I have programmed Shine On in mine and that's got 11 different patches and EQ changes
    Not sure you got it right then. Have another listen.

Ha, love that song.

R.
  • The reaction to this has been utterly fascinating, although I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bothered.... it's switches and lights and pedals and racks and noisy things, which is what we're into here, right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The reaction to this has been utterly fascinating, although I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bothered.... it's switches and lights and pedals and racks and noisy things, which is what we're into here, right?
    Dunno , what firmware version are you on and which Mbrett presets do you have?
     ;) 
  • I personally love his music, Continuum was great. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room gets me every time!

Course we all love that pedalboard, it's awesome. But to be fair, we like to be realistic too and don't ever see ourselves have a reason for such a rig, and perhaps that's why some reacted a little negatively.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Rich guitarist in lots of gear shock.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I remember reading an interview with ozzy where he describes Zakk wyldes board as being something you could land a plane on. 

Zakk insisted it was a couple of drive pedals, a chorus and a wah :) 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Gassage said:
    So you have 16 patches for each song and 99 banks. 

But a switch ain't one?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I can barely cope with the pedals and switches on my Vox Tonelab SE...I'd be totally bewildered by all that stuff surrounding me!  But he's such a great player I can't help asking myself whether he really needs even half of all that!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • As my old mum always said.... you can't polish a turd...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I remember reading an interview with ozzy where he describes Zakk wyldes board as being something you could land a plane on. 

Zakk insisted it was a couple of drive pedals, a chorus and a wah :) 
    Bear in mind just how many multiples Ozzy was seeing at the time. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Lovely gear....mustn't overlook the fact that his roadie sprinkles shake n vac before each performance which apparently affects his tone.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    edited March 2017
    Chaps, allow me the right to reply and then I'll shut up. I freely admit my original comment was snarky. Some wonder why I'd post here and other such thoughts. Equally I'm wondering why people are so defensive and come to odd conclusions, like being full of burning hate for Mayer, oodles of jealousy, and that I might even read the Mail. There goes my pinko Commie forum image...

That I find his music immensely boring is a given but he clearly can play a guitar. I don't like listening to Guthrie Govan but I can recognise that he has great technique and playing ability, or John Squire in the post-coke Seahorses day. Respect the technique, don't bother listening to the recorded product. It's like watching a terrible film but admiring the cinematography. Visiting a thread like this... well, why not? If the thread had been "Mayer albums streamed continuously free for you" then that's a different matter.

So I respect the sensibilities of people here and I shall erase my comments other than this one. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom