London hotels

What's Hot
So, where's good to stay? Looking for a few days in mid May, just somewhere cheap and clean close-ish to the centre.
littlegreenman < My tunes here...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    A Premier Inn?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Definitely not So Park Battersea. Absolute shithole.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Honestly? Don't bother with hotels, go for Air bnb.
    We have people from other offices coming to London, they always stay there. Great value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Ambassador opposite Euston, Park Plaza Waterloo or the Tune in Canary Wharf. All under 100 quid for 2 people, especially Tune, which is normally 50 quid, lovely rooms all of them. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    +1 for AirBnB.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    The amba hotel in the city centre is bloomin lovely, and not horrifically priced. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    A travelodge or Premier Inn or IBIS ........basic ,clean ,easy 
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited March 2017
    Sporky said:
    Definitely not So Park...

You stayed in South Park?!?!?
    No. I didn't stay. It was that bad.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    A while back we did a weekend at the Old County Hall Premier Inn, right by the London Eye, fabulous location, diagonally opposite Parliament and so close to so much...highly recommended..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Sporky said:
    I can imagine. Been in a few grotty ones myself. Air B&B or one of those 2 or 3 day studio rentals. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Sporky said:

What was wrong with it? I can't imagine a hotel I wouldn't stay at. There was an awesome one in Amsterdam where four of us were in a pokey room with thin mattresses over beds that were effectively chicken-wire hammocks. The toilet was just the other side of a clear glass door and relied on gentleman's agreements for privacy.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    what do you mean by cheap? Cheap hotels in London are generally really crap, you need to be careful. If you can get in the travelodge in Covent Garden, that's not too bad. As has been said, travelodge or Premier inn are OK for the money.

I'd avoid any of the hotels around Battersea/Paddington - they are all pretty crap and small and run down. Its also a bit of a way out.

Don't be putoff staying in King's Cross: its a lot better than  it was, even a couple of years ago. Its been done up quite a lot.
    Sporky said:

What was wrong with it? I can't imagine a hotel I wouldn't stay at. There was an awesome one in Amsterdam where four of us were in a pokey room with thin mattresses over beds that were effectively chicken-wire hammocks. The toilet was just the other side of a clear glass door and relied on gentleman's agreements for privacy.

It was genuinely filthy, it smelled, the bath and shower didn't work and the door didn't lock.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

It was genuinely filthy, it smelled, the bath and shower didn't work and the door didn't lock.

That is quite bad I suppose.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    Covent Garden Travelodge is a regular stop for me.
    It's cheap and clean, and in easy walking distance of the RCJ. Plenty of places to eat near it too.

But it's not a "staying in" hotel of course. It's just somewhere to sleep and then go out again.
    I was quite surprised there was anywhere that bad still in business!

I switched to a Travelodge (I think - might have been a Premier Inn) which did exactly what it was meant to for less money.

Oh, and it had a little pantry sort of thing that had a substance that looked a bit like butter smeared all over the door handle. I didn't check what was in the pantry itself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom