Vox Custom 25

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
Anyone know anything about these? Value? What are they like? They are quite pretty looking things. Guessing @HarrySeven will know something about them ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    They're made by Matsumoku. Typically Japanese maple through-neck construction of the era - well-made, quite heavy, and not particularly characterful-sounding. The pickups were originally DiMarzio X2Ns which aren't very popular these days, although I've seen them with other DiMarzio models as well.

They're not worth that much, probably £250-£350 for a good example, less for a tatty/modded one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I've had a couple of Standard 25's in the past, part of the same line around 1982 I think & Vox's take on a strat.

The guitars felt well made & pickups are really nice & made by Dimarzio. The necks felt great BUT they were really heavy, which is why I eventually sold them on.

I had one in the 90's which I believe I paid around £70 for in a nice translucent red & I bought another about 2006 for about £100.

Given the quality of cheap guitars these days Squier/G&L from my experience I would not pay more £150 tops for a standard 25.

The Custom looks a lot like a Westbury to me, wonder if there is a connection?

JD50 said:

The Custom looks a lot like a Westbury to me, wonder if there is a connection?
    Yes, made in the same factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Some great info there cheers lads 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I had a Standard 25 when they were new in 1982.
    That was more of a strat type, with 3 Di Marzio single coils.

It was really well put together as I remember, nice maple neck. The trem tuning stability left a bit to be desired, but other than that, a really nice guitar. 
    Wish I still had it actually.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited March 2017
    @mikeyrob73 They're great guitars. I've had a few over the years. I think I shill have a (highly-modified) Vox somewhere. As usual with Matsumoku, etc, there's lots of crossover re. body shapes/styling with other brands of the day.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    edited March 2017
    I've got one. As others have said, very well made. Typical Matsumoko quality and design.
    Nice through neck and has a fair amount of sustain. Neck is fairly chunky. Mine's all original apart from the X2N's were removed before I got it (late 80's). It was purchased as a backup and has remained so ever since as it's utterly dependable.
    Oh and it weighs the same as a small planet. It's all maple just different stains, which is how I discovered Maple is quite heavy
    As for prices, I honestly don't know. All I do know is that they seem to be rising. I've noticed them over the years on ebay as I have a passing interest.
    If this one sells I'm sticking mine up ;) mine's got the original trem arm and my case is in near perfect nick.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252770392467
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I have a standard 24 with super distortions - it is very heavy sounding; good for rock etc.  I have owned it for 30+ years now buying it brand new when I was 16  lol.  Neck on mine is actually reasonably thin and can't say it weighs any different to my other guitars....
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    FX_Munkee said:
    I've got one. As others have said, very well made. Typical Matsumoko quality and design.
    Nice through neck and has a fair amount of sustain. Neck is fairly chunky. Mine's all original apart from the X2N's were removed before I got it (late 80's). It was purchased as a backup and has remained so ever since as it's utterly dependable.
    Oh and it weighs the same as a small planet. It's all maple just different stains, which is how I discovered Maple is quite heavy
    As for prices, I honestly don't know. All I do know is that they seem to be rising. I've noticed them over the years on ebay as I have a passing interest.
    If this one sells I'm sticking mine up ;) mine's got the original trem arm and my case is in near perfect nick.
    That's mental :astonished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    FX_Munkee said:
    No it's not. It's the standard price for a Custom 25 from now on.
    <starts_creating_ebay_ad/>
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary said:

I like how 'all original' includes having the wrong trem arm, pickup selector switch, pickup surrounds and strap buttons - anyone familiar with Matsumoku will know what the original buttons look like - and 'great condition' also means one straplock having an extra hole drilled.

There's no danger of that selling for even remotely close to that price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    here's mine, only the pickups and surrounds aren't original.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Reminds me of a late 70's/early 80's Aria Pro II 400 ...

• fandango said:
    Reminds me of a late 70's/early 80's Aria Pro II 400 ...

Again: same factory. My neighbours (I live 100 yards from the world HQ of Aria) used to have their guitars built at the Matsumoku factory during its heydey. Since I had a Vox Custom 24 which got nicked from the flat in London after I moved to Japan, I feel nostalgic about them, and the occasional Aria Pro from that period I see here second-hand stimulates a fair amount of GAS.

Thanks for reminding me about the absurd weight, though!
    Sleepyscholar said:

Again: same factory. My neighbours (I live 100 yards from the world HQ of Aria) used to have their guitars built at the Matsumoku factory during its heydey. Since I had a Vox Custom 24 which got nicked from the flat in London after I moved to Japan, I feel nostalgic about them, and the occasional Aria Pro from that period I see here second-hand stimulates a fair amount of GAS.
    It's a shame what happened to Aria. For a while in the late 70s and early 80s their guitars and their basses especially were considered on a par with the best Japanese brands like Yamaha and Ibanez, in particular the SB1000 around 1980-83. After Matsumoku closed and the production moved to Korea the quality dropped fairly rapidly and by the mid 90s they were basically a junk brand. They've been revived a bit recently, but aside from the reissue of the SB1000 for people who haven't forgotten, I'm pretty sure they're still mostly thought of as a second or third rate brand at best.

I have managed to find another example of my first electric guitar - the '84 Aria RS Standard - but I can't really afford to buy another SB1000… my first bass, in '86. Although I'm actually looking for an SB-R really because the string spacing is wider - and they're a lot less expensive, so I may get one at some point.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668

ICBM said:
       After Matsumoku closed and the production moved to Korea the quality dropped fairly rapidly and by the mid 90s they were basically a junk brand.
    I had an Integra bass here for a while, one of the first after the move from matsumoko.  You could see the change happening, the neck and bridge were awesome, typical mat quality.  The rest was quite dull