Things to do in Oxford in July?

What's Hot

My daughter is going to her first festival in the summer, Truck Festival near Oxford. As we have to take her and a friend there and we're not overly happy being so far away from her so we are going to have a weekend in Oxford in late July so we can be on hand if needed.

Been before, just once many years ago for a work meeting and jolly at the Four Pillars hotel (Oxford Spires). May well book up to stay there again.

We will have our 14 year old son with us so will be looking for things to do Sat/.Sun.Any ideas? (apart from wandering around pretending to be Inspector Morse)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I've been to two Trucks myself, it's very civilised.  Your daughter should have a good time, it's quite a gentle introduction :)
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Boat trips are good fun - Salter's Steamers.  Blenheim Palace is good as well - but maybe less so for a 14 year old lad though.

Don't miss the Headington Shark!

It depends what your son is interested in really.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Thanks, the boat trip looks a deffo, shame the wildlife one isn't running in July as that would have been good.

edited March 2017
    richh said:
    Boat trips are good fun - Salter's Steamers.  Blenheim Palace is good as well - but maybe less so for a 14 year old lad though.

Don't miss the Headington Shark!

It depends what your son is interested in really.
    Stunt scootering at the local skate park, playing XBOX Live and being a bit shouty and rude to other players seem to be his main pre-occupations 

Agreed on the Shark, will keep that a surprise for them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    I've been to two Trucks myself, it's very civilised.  Your daughter should have a good time, it's quite a gentle introduction :)

OK thanks @randella she's only 16! (going on 20)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'd recommend sampling some of the local coffee houses and being rather shocked at how much you can actually spend on a drink.

Failing that, dress up as a 'town' or 'gown' type, goad the others and see how long it takes you to end up in the JR...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    The Natural History 
    Some quite interesting stuff in a magnificent building. Really nice ironwork ceiling. I tend to forget to look at the exhibits, which is odd, because dinosaurs are literally my jam.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited March 2017
    randella said:
    I've been to two Trucks myself, it's very civilised.  Your daughter should have a good time, it's quite a gentle introduction

OK thanks @randella she's only 16! (going on 20)
    No worries - it's a fairly diverse mix of aging hippies, youth in their twenties, and all points in between like me and my friends who can't be arsed with Glastonbury-sized shenanigans.  I think quite a few younger kids go as it's relatively benign.

As for Oxford, even if you're not a fan of Morse there are some cracking pubs which appeared regularly in the series - the Eagle and Child (aka the Bird and Baby) on St. Giles, the King's Arms at the top of the Broad.  They'll probably be thronged in July mind - I grew up in Oxfordshire and I can't believe how busy the town's got.

My personal favourite was a place slightly out west of the city, at the top of Port Meadow on the Thames in a village called Godstow, called the Trout Inn.  I think the grub's a mixed bag so I won't recommend it, but there's a reason they always filmed there as the beer garden has to be about one of the nicest in the county for a sundowner.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sporky said:
    The Natural History 
    Some quite interesting stuff in a magnificent building. Really nice ironwork ceiling. I tend to forget to look at the exhibits, which is odd, because dinosaurs are literally my jam.
    We went around Oxford with my son when he was about 15 and he enjoyed those quite a bit, particularly the Ashmolean. We went to some chain Japanese place for lunch which he liked a lot. We even quite liked the bus ride, Oxford has the best park and ride system I've ever been on. I think he thought watching all the foreign tourists was reasonably interesting and we found some samurai stuff in an art gallery ( which he was interested in at the time). Quite a lot of free stuff to see in the city centre,some of the colleges have paid for tours if you want to go all Morse. 
    Last time we mooched about the covered market ( which is interesting as these things go) and ate pasteis de nata in a cafe there. Quite a lot of time was taken up trying to find a useable public loo though :unamused:  We stayed at the Oxford camp site which is small and very hidden. Handily across the road from a park and ride. I'm sure it's no Four Pillars but if you wanted to join in the festival spirit...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Don't attempt to park in Oxford unless you're happy to set up a second mortgage. The park and ride is the best option. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Don't attempt to park in Oxford unless you're happy to set up a second mortgage. The park and ride is the best option. 
    Ok, noted!

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited March 2017
    Or park at mine and get the train from Bicester Village to Oxford. Actually​ very painless.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    At the rear of the natural history museum is the Pitts river museum. Lots of stuff for your son like shrunken heads etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Serve your betters.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Dinner at Sojo, Chinese restaurant of national acclaim. Fantastic grub

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    monofin said:
    At the rear of the natural history museum is the Pitts river museum. Lots of stuff for your son like shrunken heads etc
    That's the one I meant. It is the must see/ do even if I couldn't remember what it was called. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    monofin said:
    Ah OK - thanks

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    There is the O2 in Cowley Rd, along with The Bullingdon, so possibly some live music, also Cowley rd has PMT and some very nice places to eat