SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: 2001 Gibson ES335 w/block inlays Yamano / Fender American Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Firemist Silver

What's Hot
DanDan Frets: 440
edited June 2017 in Guitars £
I thought I was finished with the clearout but possibly not quite yet....anyways.

Gibson 335 with block inlays made in 2001 (I think). Yamano serial number. 

All original spec
60's profile neck
Dark board presume rosewood but looks very dark so could be ebony?

No fret wear. A couple of light marks on the back.

Comes with Gibson hard case. 

£2200 £2100 £2050 £2000 £1950 **SOLD** collection from Birmingham. Can post at cost (hopefully got or can get a good cardboard box).

Any questions give me a shout.

Not after any trades.

More pics here.

Next, not sure about this but here goes.

Fender Jazzmaster American Vintage '65 (RI not original!) in Firemist Silver.

Large C 65' bound lam rosewood board 7.25"

No fret wear. One light mark on the front.

Fitted with a straytrem bridge and collet / arm. Originals included too.

Comes with fender hard case and all case candy.

£1650 £1600 £1550 £1500 £1450 ON HOLD collection from Birmingham. Can post at cost (hopefully got or can get a good cardboard box).

Any questions give me a shout.

Not after any trades.

More pics here.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169

Who's Yamano, and is that good. Also what does ESDY-RD mean.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 440
    Something along the lines of Yamano was a Gibson distributor that ordered "higher" specced/special run models. Whether that is good is up for debate. Apparently they was picky about what guitars they had.

No idea what  ESDY-RD is. Quick google doesnt point to much.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Never played a bad Yamamo. Tempted....
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Dan said:
    Something along the lines of Yamano was a Gibson distributor that ordered "higher" specced/special run models. Whether that is good is up for debate. Apparently they was picky about what guitars they had.

No idea what  ESDY-RD is. Quick google doesnt point to much.
    ES (es) DY (Dealer Yamano) RD (Red).

Absolute nonsense but I'd go with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    yeah, great guitars.   I had a mate bring one round he wanted me to fix up and identify, it had star stickers and a superglue run down the front.   GIbson didn't recognise the serial number or model code and i even had some people say it was a high quality fake or a factory refin of a vintage guitar (both totalrubbish!)  Honestly, its just gibson at there best.  Great guitars

Although his had a weird label, doubled up with a weird model code.  You can just about make up the writing on the underneath label (may need to tilt your screen)and it matches yours -   If I remember correctly it stood for  ESD (Electro Spanish Doublecutaway) Y (Yamano) RD (red).  the one i had was here was suffixed with NH1 on the top label, but matched yours underneath - i think that stands for nickel hardware

Serial number was YO1992-012 on the top label, but 12/200 on the one underneath.  quite close to yours

It was odd enough for me to take pics.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    oh, and Gibson UK did eventually confirm that one was made in 2001, so I am sure you have the date right
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Yamano are a Japanese dealership, up to 2007 they were Gibson's distributor in Japan.
    They could select the best tops from Gibson USA and mark them for export to Japan.
    This ended in 2007, although Gibson still had guitars that were marked as Yamano that were simply sold in the normal markets and never went anywhere near Japan post 2007.
    Because its was believed that Japan had higher standards Yamano guitars command a higher resell value, especially pre 2007 Historic LPs.
    Aside from being stamp Yamano there is no difference.
    Also not all Yamano's have a Y in the serial but normally have paperwork with some Japanese on the hang tag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    This was a model specifically made for Yamano though, not a spec you could find on anything else at the time... and the quality was great.  I do believe we get a lot of the crap in the UK, and I do believe that would not be acceptable to the Japanese market

i suspect a limited run of 200 given the weird label info I posted above.  Not a custom shop guitar, but as close as you can get
    Yamano are not specc'd differently to any other gibson guitars.
    The only difference is that the dealer selects which guitars they want from all that are being produce as they have buying power.
    This is the same as any dealer that buys over a certain amount.
    The difference in resell is the perceived idea that the Japanese wouldnt take any crap.
    You pays your money and takes your choice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    adampeter said:
    The only difference is that the dealer selects which guitars they want from all that are being produce as they have buying power........
    The difference in resell is the perceived idea that the Japanese wouldnt take any crap.
    You pays your money and takes your choice
    Now this seems to make sense.

I can't understand the logic that British dealers would take crap but the Japanese ones wouldn't.

There are a couple of mentions that Yamani selected the best tops. But the two Yamani guitars shown above are plain cherry red tops. So that doesn't hold true.

Nice guitar through and I am very very interested, but my concern is, will the Yamano tag, make it more difficult for me to sell on further down the road.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers for all the info guys. Wisdoms awarded all round, thanks.

Updated with some hopefully better pics.
    edited April 2017
    Just in case it helps anyone. I just found out the following information relating to the serial number.

The guitar was made at the Bozeman Plant, MT, USA on July 12th, 2002 Production Number: 31 

Gibson's Bozeman plant was opened in Montana 1989. All acoustic models currently made at this factory.

Normally these 335's are made at either the Memphis or Nashville plants. 

Is Bozeman the Custom shop
    adampeter said:
    The only difference is that the dealer selects which guitars they want from all that are being produce as they have buying power.

That may be true of other Yamano's, but I did a lot of research into this model and even Gibson confirmed it was a special run for Yamano and not an off the shelf model

I think the main differences to the standard 335 offered at the time was the small block inlays and PAF pickups

edit - just found the response I got from gibson back in 2008 after  a bit of pushing

It seems serial number links to guitar which was part an special run for the Japanese Market. The “Y’” letter in the beginning was for Yamano our Distributor in Japan, but remember that was only an internal code

Unfortunately, we can not confirm you the production year of the guitar, but we assume could be 2000 because of the pot codes.
    @WezV i'm not saying it isn't a special run, distributors order these all the time.
    What i do know for sure (and i do have experience of this) is that the Yamano name adds value, but only because of the perceived Japanese quality control, there's nothing different about them other than the that.
    But they are definitely easier to resell 
    Okay. Even if you want to ignore the yamano connection it's still a limited run with higher than standard spec for the time.

the speculation was it was the precursor to the small block historic reissues they did a few years later.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    ...But how does it sound and play?!
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    @Lebarque is right. Big inlays, small inlays, dark rosewood, light rosewood....the list goes on.  In my opinion all of that is purely vanity. The way a guitar feels in your hands and how it reacts with your chosen amp is far more important that how it looks. None of my guitars would stand up very well in a beauty contest but I'd back them sound wise against the best of them. 
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    @Lebarque is right. Big inlays, small inlays, dark rosewood, light rosewood....the list goes on.  In my opinion all of that is purely vanity. The way a guitar feels in your hands and how it reacts with your chosen amp is far more important that how it looks. None of my guitars would stand up very well in a beauty contest but I'd back them sound wise against the best of them. 
    This is true... but the seller cant tell you how its going to feel in your hands or react with your chosen amp. He can only put things in his ad that are more general and give anyone enough clues that chances are its a great guitar and might be worth trying? 
    Personally ,if i was going down the 335 route again and had the cash id be trying this .:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Its not purely vanity at all, its also provenance   When my mate got his he was told by a few people it was a fake, or too risky, due to the weird serial, label and spec.   I found the same attitude when i tried to find out what it was.   

Here is a thread i started back in 2008 on the Gibson forum
    http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/9086-struggling-to-id-this-335/

Obviously all the info I have provided is just on the unusual features of this model, not specifically the one for sale.

edited April 2017
    Bump and thanks for all the info provides guys.

EDIT: also added jazzmaster