More awful guitar conversions

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
This is a citole, a type of early guitar and the only one remaining. Until someone decided it would be better as a violin.
The Earl of Leicester is the most likely culprit, http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/c/citole.aspx. History doesn't record his views on telecaster pickups.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Say what you will about it, at least he didn't decide to put a Bigsby on it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @fretfinder ; That is an example of Museum grade wood ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Bucket said:
    Say what you will about it, at least he didn't decide to put a Bigsby on it.
    Have a LOL. But I think I'll be calling the BM's conservation department on Monday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    I've always liked this one best…

1953 Gibson Les Paul electric banjo conversion.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    ICBM;100121" said:

http://www.joetheguitarman.com/Les Paul Banjo.jpg

There is no god.
  • ICBM;100121" said:

http://www.joetheguitarman.com/Les Paul Banjo.jpg

Lol! I can't quite believe it's not phitoshopped. Bonkers.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ugh..... That Gibson! So cruel, so horrible. I want to unsee that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Drugs. Aren't they?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited December 2013
    @fretfinder ; That is an example of Museum grade wood ;)
    Man I saw this description on some isntruments on ebay and thought it was so stupid.

I hate that description so much, instruments in museums are usually in bad condition, are not always made out of the best timbers and many suffer from woodworm so to call it museum grade wood just makes no sense!

Old Is Gold
  • Also weirdly enough I was at the British Museum looking at the Citole yesterday at around 2pm.
    Old Is Gold
  • There is some good info on the citole here http://www.trombamarina.com/instruments/citole

Shows you what it would have looked like originally (not massively different)
    Old Is Gold
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    There is some good info on the citole here http://www.trombamarina.com/instruments/citole

Shows you what it would have looked like originally (not massively different)
    Yeah, I saw that, quite cool. Almost tempted to comission one, except I'd have no idea what to do with it (after fitting a bigsby obviously). Stopped by on Friday late pm and hadn't been in the medieval British gallery before. I first met the citole in the changing museum a while back. I quite like antique instruments, mostly because the ones that have survived tend to be the super-high-end examples and very nice to look at. It's frowned on if you try to play them.
    ICBM said:

Oh. Nuts.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671
    imalone said:
    This is a citole, a type of early guitar and the only one remaining. Until someone decided it would be better as a violin.
    The Earl of Leicester is the most likely culprit, http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/c/citole.aspx. History doesn't record his views on telecaster pickups.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    ICBM said:

is it used as a transitional part of therapy to help get banjo players back into society?
  • Also weirdly enough I was at the British Museum looking at the Citole yesterday at around 2pm.
    I visit the BM and British Library whenever I'm in London for my research, I've missed the Citole, and I virtually live in the place. I can tell you were the Benin Bronzes are and give you a mini thesis on the Oba's. I'm not sure if they had a band, but they were pretty handy with wax castings.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    is it used as a transitional part of therapy to help get banjo players back into society?
    Probably. If you get hit round the back of the head with it by an irate vintage guitar collector every time you think 'banjo', you'll learn quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    edited December 2013
    ICBM said:

Bang a tele pickup in the neck position and it could well be a creation by a certain sausage fingered luthier that has recenly gained fame on The Fretboard?!
  • @fretfinder ; That is an example of Museum grade wood ;)
    Ah I get it, thanks!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I visit the BM and British Library whenever I'm in London for my research, I've missed the Citole, and I virtually live in the place. I can tell you were the Benin Bronzes are and give you a mini thesis on the Oba's. I'm not sure if they had a band, but they were pretty handy with wax castings.
    To be honest although I have not been to the BM that much I had also managed to miss that instrument until Friday just gone although I knew of it from my degree. It is certainly an interesting one or sure.
    Old Is Gold
  • Google "bad coconuts guitar" I dares ya!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"