single coil size pickup replacements for SSH

ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
I've just ordered a guitar containing 2 x Seymour Duncan SSL3 (hot vintage strat), and an SD TB-4 humbucker 

I most often play the neck pickup on a strat, but there's an issue, I can't stand hum, so sooner or later I always replace single coils with hum-cancelling pickups. My favourites are Fender SCN, EMG SAs, Kinmans. Some of the stacked ones don't work for me at all (Seymour duncan ones for example). The Tom Anderson stacked ones aren't as bad

Anyway: aware that SCs are often weak compared to HB, so I am keen to get a balance

I thought maybe a Little 59 in the middle, or an SCN or Kinman 
and a Kinman Big Nine-O in the neck (or some lower-wound Kinman) 

Or maybe just use a dummy coil somewhere under the scratchplate?
SD claim that vintage rails will work, but since they were way off with opinion of their stacks, I am a bit suspicious

Please can we avoid any argument about hum-cancelled single coils not sounding exactly like some perfect pickup from 1962? 
I really really hate hum getting into my sound, and I have found there are low-hum SC-sounding pickups that I am very very happy with, so I definitely won't be buying any traditional single coils for this. I will try to live with the SSL3s for a bit, but I want a back up plan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The ssl pickups are among my favourite singles that are not made by oil city. That said, I'll not argue about hum.

Sounds like you already know the pickups you like - if you plan on using the neck pickup most, how about choosing the singles, then changing the humbucker to suit? Oil city do the cow t Ron, which balances great with single coils in my jazzmaster. That way, you get the noiseless single coils you love and bridge humbucker sounds, too.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    what I'm lacking in is experience at pairing up SCs and HBs, especially with shared single vol + Tone control 
    Obviously, I'd like to retain whatever pickups I can, to save cash - so a dummy coil may be the best idea, but I am hoping the TB-4 suits me, although it may be hot, It's the really mid-heavy ceramic HBs that I dislike
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My Ibanez has a DiMarzio Double whammy bridge pup, with a DiMarzio NS-2 (poss HS-2) middle S/C - blends well with the 'bucker and there's no volume drop (at least not noticeable). Nice Stratty sound and noiseless.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I never got to try a DiMarzio hum-cancelling SC, I'll research those
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I've not tried a neck position one, but in the middle of a H/S/H guitar it's fantastic.

In fact mixed with the DW that's one if my favourite lead sounds

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Fender super 55 split ...

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Fender super 55 split ...

Excellent I thought, I had a thought a few months ago about 3+3 offset split pairs, and wondered what was possible, 
    Unfortunately this fender fan seems to have been very upset with those:
    he reckons vintage noiseless are better

the Dimarzio ones seem popular. As I say, I have a set of SCNs in a USA strat that sound perfect for my needs, so that's another option. If I used those, what Oily humbucker would you advise to match them?

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Of all the so called noiseless pickups I've tried 'split' ones are the only ones I'd fit. Rails or stacks of all descriptions are mostly horrible ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I too have disliked the rails I've tried, and most stacked, even the best I've tried are a compromise
    The SCN ones pleased me a lot though - slightly light on bass. I tried the tele ones too, but the neck one was 6/10

I don't know how they are made, I just found the patent, and they have 2 coils, but are not simply stacked like the SDs, etc, there is a gap with 2 moderator bars between them. I have not read through the patent yet, but I have been running these in a strat for a few years, and am very pleased with them. Quieter than my hot-wound Kinmans, and more stratty
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I haven't been able to try the Super '55s, my 'hog Tele should have had one in the neck but Fender changed the spec for some reason.  It does however have my next favorite, the N3.  I have them in my FSR Strat and also the 'hog Tele and I personally prefer them to Laces and VN's, both of which I really like. Seem to have a clearer tone and be truer to the single coil ideal.
  • I have an SSH set of Lace chromes for sale and I've got two Li'l 59's, one of which needs a rewind. Offers welcome.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    I have an SSH set of Lace chromes for sale and I've got two Li'l 59's, one of which needs a rewind. Offers welcome.
    PM me details, I don't have the guitar yet, so this is all just research so far
  • pm'd
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Cowtrons are lovely pickups, dont notice any hum with mine.