How much is a 1964 Gretsch Tennesseean worth?

fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
edited December 2013 in Guitar
I've been asked if I'd do a deal on an all original, good condition 1964 Tennesseean against my R8. The guy says his is up for sale for £2200. Mine is up at £1700 so no doubt he'd be looking for a bunch of cash on top. I'm not a Gretsch man so would only do a deal if I could reasonably easily sell the Gretsch. 

What do you think?
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anyone?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Not many expensive guitars are selling easily at the minute, my advice would be to get in touch with a few guitar shops who deal in vintage instruments and A) try and work out the value of the Gretsch, B) Ask if they would be interested in it and C) depending on whether you are looking to get a guitar out of the situation rather than realise cash see whether said shop would PX on it and find the PX value. 

You're bang on the money with the valuation of your R8, and I know old Gretsches are very collectible so it might be worth doing a deal though i'd really suggest talking to a few shops first, there's no harm in asking. If you don't mind the wait I'd suggest sticking it on eBay and hoping that someone would collect so you avoid the pesky fees; though this could well be quite a wait. 
  • From what I know of vintage Gretsches (very little, I might add) the values seem to be all over the place. The R8 is more of a sure thing, and has a wider market. Personally, I wouldn't risk it unless you'd be happy to keep the Gretsch long-term.
  • Agree with guitargeek.

If he wants your more marketable guitar, he should take the hit. Gives you a bit of wiggle room in an uncertain market.

If you were approaching him with the trade, that would be a different kettle of fish.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    The Tennessean seems to be priced at around what you would expect to pay in a shop, ie perhaps a little on the high side. 

I've seen mid 60s 6120s (a more desirable guitar) for around this price.

Gretsch prices do vary a lot as Gretschs vary a lot! 

Unless it was at a very good price I would never buy a vintage Gretsch without playing it.

I've played some utter dogs.

At that money in a private sale I would expect the guitar to be in very good condition with original case.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited December 2013
    What jpfamps said.

I wouldn't do it unless you at least have some interest in owning the Gretsch anyway (even if not necessarily actively looking for one), you play it first, check it's structurally sound and in mostly original condition, and you don't put any money in. It *may* be worth slightly more than the LP, but not much, and is a harder sale if you do want to turn it round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808

I've got an early 60's Tennessean, mainly by default (it was my late father's guitar), I wouldn't sell it for the world..

On the other hand, its a bit of a quirky beast and unless someone is looking specifically for one, it would a whole harder to sell than the R8...

If you are looking to just "get rid" of the R8 then fine, but if you think you'll have an easier guitar to shift on with the Gretsch because its "vintage", then I think you will do the wrong thing....

If you do go for it, look out for binding rot, decent electrics that all work (they are a swine to work on), neck warpage at 15+ and of course fretwear.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The R8 will sell. It might take a little longer in this market, but it will go. The Gretsch will be harder to shift. It sounds like you don't actually want the Gretsch. If that's the case, I see no real benefit in the deal.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited December 2013
    Thanks guys. I would have no intention of hanging on to the Gretsch so I'm not going to go for the trade. 

Anyone want to buy an R8?  
    :)
  • Thanks guys. I would have no intention of hanging on to the Gretsch so I'm not going to go for the trade. 

Yes, I have £400.  Deal? :P  

Good luck!
  • Thanks guys. I would have no intention of hanging on to the Gretsch so I'm not going to go for the trade. 

Yes, I have £400.  Deal? :P  

Good luck!
    As a deposit yes, then a balance of £1300 to pay!   :)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I also think you will get £1700 - it will just take a bit of time.
    I sold mine very quickly for about £1650 because I wanted to shift quite a few guitars.
    I have had a quick look at your ad, and (if you can forgive my directness) I think that better photos would sell the guitar. A plaintop R8 is a beautiful thing but I would want to see the top carve and therefore some "arty" shots. Outside maybe? The forum seems to allow "huge" photographs to be uploaded into threads and I would take full advantage if I were you.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Be very careful buying 60's Gretsch.
    I've played a bunch of them that are basically unusable as working instruments- they are better as museum items.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I'm glad you decided not to go for the deal....why trade one guitar that is proving difficult to sell, for another one that you have no intention of hanging on to and would be would be infinitely harder to sell.

the R8 will sell, just wait