Keeping guitars/equipment in conservatory

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
We're doing a few home improvements at the moment so my guitar equipment and I have been hoofed out of the cosy spare room (which is carpeted and has a radiator) into the conservatory at the back of the house. The conservatory is wooden floored and can change from very cold to very hot in the summer. No radiator. I'm concerned about the change in temps but also possible condensation which could cause some problems for guitars and amps.

Is anybody on the fretboard having to keep their stuff in a similar environment? Any tips/advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Guitars in case shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't put electrical items in there.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    really not advisable at all for guitars, especially acoustics and semis

amps will survive, but could rust on steel parts 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    That's what I was thinking too. A friend of mine had all of his stuff in a wooden shed in the garden but it was insulated and carpeted. I'm very wary about placing my amp in the conservatory.

Keep the advice coming.
    It's looking like I have a strong argument to keep my gear in our bedroom.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I would have thought the guitars would have been fine in cases as its more sudden changes in temp that can cause issues whereas condensation on the electrical items could potentially cause serious damage?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    cruxiform said:
    Yes, and clearly this should also justify buying additional guitars in case the other ones suffer from erosion.
    octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    Yes, and clearly this should also justify buying additional guitars in case the other ones suffer from erosion.
    you have to think of them like Gazelles, they are only really safe in a large herd
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    Good point!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm here to help.
    cruxiform said:
    That's what I was thinking too. A friend of mine had all of his stuff in a wooden shed in the garden but it was insulated and carpeted. I'm very wary about placing my amp in the conservatory.

Keep the advice coming.
    insulation just slows down heat movement in or out, the shed would still get hot / cold within a few hours with no heating or cooling applied. relative humidity is the biggest guitar killer.
    If it's 0C outside, and 50% humidity, let that air into your house or shed and heat to 20C, and it is now typically around 28% humidity.
    the real difference would take it to about 10%, but not all air gets in, and you breathe, sweat and cook, etc. and so add to the humidity indoors

keep them in a case under your bed, or bring them round my house for safe keeping

I kept an amp in the cellar for a few years, it tarnished a lot, rusted in places, and some components failed - resistors - but that may be unrelated

Grand advice TC, thanks. It's a non-starter then. I'm happy to be honest.