Help needed identifying a Schecter PT 'telecaster'

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
edited December 2013 in Guitar
Morning all,

I am trying to identify this Schecter PT.  It is, as you can see, from the 'Diamond Series'.  The serial number indicates 2008 but that is pretty much all I can find out.  Even Schecter themselves haven't been much use.  They can't even tell me what pick-ups (they are Duncan Designed) are in it and the only thing they can tell me is that it they think it might have been a limited release.

I read somewhere that the rosewood fingerboard was Europe only and Thomann do indeed have it listed as a previous item (with no spec or anything).  It's described there as a Schecter PT Diamond Series Deluxe, although I can't see anything to suggest it's any more deluxe than the bog-standard.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Vault/Default.aspx?View=2
    catalogues back to 2000 here
    is it not in these either?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Vault/Default.aspx?View=2
    catalogues back to 2000 here
    is it not in these either?
    Afraid not!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    What else do you need to know?

You could probably get some idea of what the pickups are by measuring the DC resistance, but they're really just generic humbuckers and it isn't likely to affect the value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said: What else do you need to know?
    I don't need to know anything, to be honest.  I just
    want to know :)  It's peculiar that it's not in any catalogues, that's all.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    OK, I thought you were either wanting to buy it or sell it!

Does the PT stand for Pete Townshend? I remember him playing Schecters years ago but they were quite different from this one, from memory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I'm buying it today but I'm not overly-concerned.  I am, more than anything, frustrated by Schecter's lack of knowledge about one of their own instruments!

And, yes, it does indeed stand for Pete Townshend.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • A friend of mine has a really beaten up one of these, it's fairly old.  He got it for frree.

The pickups are average to poor, but the guitar itself is fine.  
  • A friend of mine has a really beaten up one of these, it's fairly old.  He got it for frree.

The pickups are average to poor, but the guitar itself is fine.  
    Sadly mine isn't going to be free!  I've not even played it to be honest but, unless it has serious issues (I'm pretty sure it doesn't), I'll be taking it.

I suspect a pick-up change will happen at some stage.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I think you've actually already answered it yourself. I think it's one of these, but with the Europe only rosewood fingerboard: http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/guitar/pt.aspx

Should be a nice player. You'll definitely want to change those pickups though, the Duncan designed ones on the Schecters I've played were rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTee said:
    I think you've actually already answered it yourself. I think it's one of these, but with the Europe only rosewood fingerboard: http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/guitar/pt.aspx

Should be a nice player. You'll definitely want to change those pickups though, the Duncan designed ones on the Schecters I've played were rubbish.

Everything I read suggests just that, that it will be a nice player - but with average (at best) pick-ups. It is definitely one of those but from a years back, albeit with some differences. It just bugs me that I can't find any detail on it.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DeeTee said:

That one has Schecter Superrock pickups.  I have one exactly the same but swapped out the Superrocks for real SDs (a '57 and Custom Custom IIRC)  I wouldn't be surprised is the Duncan Designed in this one weren't an alteration. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    DeeTee said:

That one has Schecter Superrock pickups.  I have one exactly the same but swapped out the Superrocks for real SDs (a '57 and Custom Custom IIRC)  I wouldn't be surprised is the Duncan Designed in this one weren't an alteration. 
    I thought they came with Duncan designed ones at first? Could be wrong, obviously.
  • DeeTee said:
    DeeTee said:

I thought they came with Duncan designed ones at first? Could be wrong, obviously.

As far as I know they did come with these.

My band, Red For Dissent