Non-Guitar Centric Music

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:
    one of the fellas in Stars of the Lid is half of A Winged Victory For the Sullen. Again, on the sme label originally, Kranky.

Lovely music, great to work to. Only thing is , that in the car you lose some of the music through noise. The Melancholy Sounds album is good. They have recently got back together, talkin about new music and touring.

Ill check out your link too, cheers, later on, on train at moment.

J
    ahh.. the connection between Stars and Winged actually makes a lot of sense..

I know that the car is not an ideal listening environment..
    but it is nice to have some mellow vibes going on whilst you're being cut up and tailgated… lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited May 2016
    The track I posted up, Ashkelon, was intended to be one of a set, so here is the final track ot go with it, the reprise. I hope to do a middle track too, that would sit before this one below.

If anyone know is, Ashkelon is a town in Israel near the border with Gaza, so the tracks, both, were aiming to get some of that vibe

cheers
    really very nice… it grows beautifully..
    very moody too… love the note choices..
    you may want to take a look at the eq of either the piano or the reverb on the piano..
    there are some very strong mids going on
    maybe a gentle cut around the 700Hz [guess] area of either the piano or it's reverb will calm that down a little
    good idea, I couldn't suss what the blurry issue was, I'll have a do at that.I was scratching my head as to why it wasn't as clear as I wanted, though I did want the piano to sound as if it was under a blanket, underwater sort of thing.
    Snap said:
    good idea, I couldn't suss what the blurry issue was, I'll have a do at that.I was scratching my head as to why it wasn't as clear as I wanted, though I did want the piano to sound as if it was under a blanket, underwater sort of thing.
    if you want something to sound like it's in the distance, make it's level low so it's not strong in the mix, reduce the top end a little and have the reverb wet signal very high in relation to the wet
    this is kinda cool… cool video too

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, so here's another, though to be fair, it does have a couple of guitars in it, but with a lot of scratching and samples

haaaa… love the way the LFO dudes you into feeling the tempo and then turns out to be a dotted 1/4 note
    I love lil' tricks like that that fool the listener..

got a new sample library???

love the groove when it gets going..
    has a nice feel to it..
    love the move to chord IV major [Dorian]… very uplifting..

really like this one
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27582
    Snap said:
    I really like AWVFTS, they did a set for the BBC Proms, not seen it all, but the clip I saw was stunning.
    I think I must have been unlucky seeing them at King's Place - they were an utter shambles there.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited July 2016
    cheers Clarky.

@Clarky, cheers pal

Yes the LFO & the beats, glad you liked that. I love this sort of thing too. Sometimes it happens unplanned too! The joy of the mod wheel! One of my favourite tracks for jarring you/fooling you with the rhythm is La Mer, by NIN. The way the drums, keys and the bass lock, ace.

New library - no mate, just digging into my existing one, which to be fair is massive. I collect samples, almost like a hoarder. Years old stuff. I knew I had some hiphop type stuff in there, just took me ages to find em! Now I have, I reckon I might have a do at some more like this.

The samples in there are:

vocals
    scratches & glitches
    Drums (various)

The rest is all played in, using Omnisphere 2, Gladiator and my latest synth - Oddity 2 (beast of a thing). The piano is The Giant.

Couple of lines of bass, one of which is low down and fat in the end section of the mix, the other being the lead bass.

only about 12 tracks on this recording in the end I think.

Been listening to DJ Shadow's new album, got me going. He's some talent. Endtroducing IMO is one of the best albums ever. So clever.

I wondered if it was new cos all the hip hop vibes in there that I'd not heard from you before..
    I'm bleeding mental for downloading samples. Then I found a load of this sort of stuff, so I guess its sort of new then.

I'm trying to mix stuff up, trying to mix genres I suppose. Makes it interesting.

You know, I find it difficult to mix in bass/guitar with synths. On this, I still didn't get the ringing clarity I wanted from the lead bass. I have rolled off all the bottom, and pushed the mids, some of the 2k as well, but its still ever so murky for me. Maybe my boost is in the wrong mid range. Lord knows, I moved it around enough. Ear fatigue maybe.

I'm learning to dip pads too - no need to have them overly loud. Esp not once they have some reverb on them.

edited August 2016
    the latest, thouogh have to admit, there is a fair bit of guitar in this. Focused on groove big style here, and used quite a bit of compression and limiting to push it hard.

oh yeah, the new PRS gets an outing in here.

cheers

Snap said:
    the latest, thouogh have to admit, there is a fair bit of guitar in this. Focused on groove big style here, and used quite a bit of compression and limiting to push it hard.

oh yeah, the new PRS gets an outing in here.

cheers

loving that kick drum… fat as fk..
    great groove too...
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

Is anyone on here using garageband to make any type of EDM? I'm currently playing around with GB and my microkorg. Hardest part is using the drum synths in GB. They're not particularly intuitive for making patterns.

If anyone is using GB, what do they use for their drums, and do they have drum sequencers?

p.s. total n00b here

hi, I don't use GB for drums, I just didn't like the kits. When I did, I would use the smartdrums function. I found it easier to use an app like DM1 for drums. With that, you can import your own drum samples and build your own kits. Its also pretty easy to sequence, and you can do fillls on the fly whilst you record.

This track has DM1 drums all the way through, from memory there is a couple of drumlines in it:

• I love this thread!!
    right here is a pretty old track I did when I got back into synths. Listening back, boy can you tell I was on a vintage synth riff!!

Originally I think I did this all in ipad synths, and all in audio, not a bit of midi and not a lot of post production, pretty much as it came out

Here's a track from a good few years ago. The mix and master on this is not brilliant however.....
    From memory all the synths are from Alchemy, sampled drums, real bass, real baritone, and some resampled vocals.

cheers

(would be good to get some life back in this thread!)

Snap said:
    Here's a track from a good few years ago. The mix and master on this is not brilliant however.....
    From memory all the synths are from Alchemy, sampled drums, real bass, real baritone, and some resampled vocals.

cheers

(would be good to get some life back in this thread!)

liking this piece… very moody… has a lovely groove to it..

and yes… I agree that it'd be cool to revive this thread..
    I've had a lot on of late so I've not been interring much…

so… non-guitar music..
    a few weeks ago I got the complete sound track to Lord of the Rings
    it is absolutely incredible..