Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• DPCDPC Frets: 55
    Steve Robinson aka Manchester Guitar Tech - http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/

Cannot praise the quality of his work highly enough. Re-fretted a Caparison of mine and a few set-ups too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
    For those able to make it to Bristol I can't recommend Johnny Kinkade highly enough. A master luthier with decades of experience, all the work he has done on my guitars has been flawless. Simon Law of SVL guitars has a similar opinion and sent me there for work on my SVL when he was on tour with Robben Ford and unable to do it himself. Johnny's website is Kinkadeguitars.co.uk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 340
    edited January 2017

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    +1 for KGB in Birkenhead.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    vaticancameos;764799" said:
    Who have people used around the Cambridgeshire area? My strat badly needs some TLC and I dont have time for her :(
    Not quite Cambridgeshire and maybe a bit late now but I'd recommend Dream Guitar Services in Woodford. He made one of my guitars play amazingly well. Bit of an odd character but he does a good job haha
  • slash1953slash1953 Frets: 38
    Anyone know of any decent techs in the cambridgeshire/ely area?  

If not, I might wind up going all the way to Sudbury for the other recommendations, but I suspect I'll have my Tele and PRS builds done professionally - my jazzmaster has a crude shim and a terrible looking nut, though it plays well, sounds great and holds tune brilliantly... I would be ashamed to show it to a tech XD

Im in Stevenage? www.tjcguitars.com

• slash1953slash1953 Frets: 38
    PVO_Dave said:
    Chris @ CA Guitarworks in Baldock (Hertfordshire). 

Great guy, very talented too. PRS Europe even use him for repairs / refinishes. Setup a couple of my guitars so far and has two more to do as of today :) 

Ive heard that Chris isnt doing it anymore?

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    slash1953 said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Chris @ CA Guitarworks in Baldock (Hertfordshire). 

Great guy, very talented too. PRS Europe even use him for repairs / refinishes. Setup a couple of my guitars so far and has two more to do as of today :) 

Ive heard that Chris isnt doing it anymore?

Stopped the spray work as it was causing him issues, apparently just moving location within Baldock
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    Can anyone recommend a good guitar tech around brum and the black country since Trevor is no longer at PMT?
  • I can thoroughly recommend Graham Wheeler in Worthing for anyone living in East or West Sussex.
    07788 823731 Great work and a real gentleman.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited April 2016
    London And Home Counties:
    I can recommend Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience.
    http://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/

I've just had work done on three of my guitars which I'm very pleased with.

It's not a competition.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    @lescaster did you get sorted? If you go back through this Discussion there are recommendations but Jamie Davey in Pattingham gets a lot of love.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    EricTheWeary;1048698" said:
    @lescaster did you get sorted? If you go back through this Discussion there are recommendations but Jamie Davey in Pattingham gets a lot of love.
    No I didn't, thanks Eric I'll check him out.
  • Massive thumbs up to Leon at Grizzly Guitars, Hackney, Did some fine work on my jag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Another big up to Mighty Matt Ryan

Great guy and really knows his stuff. Just had a set up with rotosound 9s so needed some adjustment from the heavier old strings.

Its playing and sounding great , his work is just fantastic. My guitars all play consistently well after visiting this dude.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    edited May 2016
    Any recommendations for the North London/Enfield area? I've tried LA Guitars and they're very good, but rather pricey. Also tried Malcolm Hind and he did a decent job on my Gibson J50 but seems to be closed now. Anywhere else?
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    Howard Smith in Leicester. Terrific prices / service / chap http://howardsmith.co.uk/howardsmith/hsgrs.htm
    Many years since I used Howard but when I lived in Leicester and took my guitars to him he was exceptional and a great chap to deal with. Great to see he's still at it!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Cambs peoples Matt at St.Ives Guitar Services is a top bloke.
    He's just done a fret dress and set-up on my ESP. Top work.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Request ... I am specifically wanting recommends for ACOUSTIC luthiers and techs in the North East of England. Thanks.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Eli Abbott at Abbot music, http://www.abbottsmusic.co.uk is a legend. Doesn't over charge, looks after your gear and treats his customers fairly. He also builds a damn nice boutique amp. Lovely feller and a life saver for most of us in the North Northants area.