10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

Occurred to me I never filled this in ... and I've been here years so sure most people know all the answers.

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    An Encore 3/4 size classical from Argos.

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save?
    My 40th Anniversary Fender Strat.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own?
    An early 80s Ibanez Roadstar II

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?
    It will always be a Gretsch White Falcon, it won't actually be one but that's the piece I'd LIKE to acquire

5: What strings do you use?
    For the metal, D'Addario 11-56
    For everything else, Elixir 10-46

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    The solo, I'm never happy ... so have to take advice on when to stop.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?
    Usual warm up, 2 wanks and a cup of tea ... and another wank.  (Or stretching fingers ...)

8: ...And five minutes after?
    Quick wank ... then pack up and shift, there's usually another band on in 10 minutes

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?
    Thinking that the drips hitting me were just a dodgy pipe and finding out later it was seepage from the gents toilet upstairs 

10 What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar?
    In The <pub name concealed) stand 2 feet to the left.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jlpmanjlpman Frets: 4
    After being given various acoustic guitars I was bought a Satellite Les Paul copy when I was 14.  The neck snapped about 6 months later.  I'm sure it was never in tune

My Gibson ES-330 VOS

Martin D25K (1983)

Strymon Flint or a decent compressor 

Electric = D'addario 11-53 (tuned to D-Standard)
    Acoustic = D'addario 13-56 (EJ117)

Crap guitar sound on Desolate Times (https://soundcloud.com/jamesperrymanmusic/03-desolate-times)

A number 2 usually

Beer (and maybe another number 2)

Starting a song a semi-tone flat and not realising tim the band came in 2 mins later, then having to start again.  Or cutting my hand open when sliding down the fretboard at a hot gig

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Practice more, listen to more blues & country, develop your feel, work more on your lead playing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35

• EskiEski Frets: 35

• wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    edited July 2016
    1: What was your first guitar? 3 tone sunburst Kay SG copy (actually that's flattering the guitar - it was just a similar shape to an SG) a real pig! 
     2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? My beloved Collings 290 DCS - that may change when my 594 arrives but I doubt it. We'll see 
     3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? Not sure actually - had a real change around in recent years - probably the DCS but I can't remember how old that is - about 5 years old? 
     4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? Awaiting delivery of my new PRS 594 
     5: What strings do you use? Pyramids 
     6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? would like to finish something!!!! 
     7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? Making sure my sphincter is firmly shut! Seriously though - trying to control the adrenaline - breathing exercises etc. I tend to tighten up so trying to stay loose is paramount 
     8: ...And five minutes after? Making sure no-one is winding cables around their arms - I HATE it when people do that! 
     9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? Nothing! Even fluffing a solo or missing a cue - just feel privileged to be able to do it now and again 
    10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Take your guitar playing seriously but don't take yourself too seriously! And make sure you always enjoy playing- if you aren't enjoying what you are doing move on and try something else - be that genre band personnel etc
  • loins71loins71 Frets: 2
    A horrible acoustic sporting a non-removable plastic plate with a picture of a flower on it. Just what an 8 year old wants to take to school for guitar lessons

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 1971 Gibson SG Pro

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 1969 Gibson SG Special

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? I'm not buying any more guitars. Honest

5: What strings do you use? D'addario XL 10's

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? That I wasn't such a sloppy lazy player

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? Yawning uncontrollably. I get really tired before I play

8: ...And five minutes after? Wishing we had road crew

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? Drunk stage invaders or people trying to talk to me while I'm playing

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Get some proper lessons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    1982 Black Kay les paul, borrowed from a school pal!
    Tough call, but probably my candy apple red fender tele with stetsbar.
    Aria Pro II Les Paul - approx 1989
    Thinline 72 deluxe tele
    Superslinky 9s
    I'd overdub more guitars on all of them ;)
    Usually emptying my 50 year old bladder.
    Filling the same bladder with a cold beer!
    A lively pub gig many years ago I energetically jumped up mid solo and smacked my head off the low beams above the stage, carried on playing despite the slow trickle of blood from my head!
    Learn some scales you lazy bas***d!
  • NathbeheldNathbeheld Frets: 2
    edited July 2016
    1. My first guitar was a tanglewood strat. Bought it a local guitar shop with my uncle, he recommended it for the money I had at the time. Was a nice starter guitar. 2. My telecaster deluxe. 3. My takamine acoustic guitar. 4. Currently putting a pedal board together so need to finish with a good volume pedal and the ditto X 4 looper. 5. Currently using elixir strings. Always used d'dadario strings until recently. 6. Wouldn't change anything about the older recordings, helped me to get better with new ones. Maybe some songs that have made it which clearly shouldn't have :) 7. Freaking out. No matter how many times I play I still get nervous before playing. 8. Packing away. ..... 9. Strings breaking, been pretty lucky when I've played. So far... 10. Practice!! And stop doubting yourself. Even failures help develop you as a player/writer etc. 7.
    it was an Aslin Dane not see what the model number is but it's a music man copy with a cool blue sunburst

1990 Japanese strat
    As above

I'd love to get a telecaster but I don't have much of a budget at the moment, maybe a classic vibe tele..

At the moment I'm using roto sound heavy bottoms but I might swap back to ernie ball regulars

Getting nervous and excited at the same time maybe getting a drink

playing the 1st song
    2001 Paul Reed Smith Santana in Santana Yellow

One of my Gibson Les Paul's, or my acrylic guitar made by Crimson Guitars

Acoustic Fender from the 60's, it really is a piece of junk that has a 1'' steel pole in the center of the body to stop the guitar folding in on itself, that was how they came from Fender back then.

No idea the list is long.

Newtone strings on my acoustics, Ernie Ball on my electrics

Add a couple of 'sections' to the solo we recorded on our version of 'Knocking On Heavens Door' both to the begining and the end of the solo, basically how I play it now..

Trying to calm down

Enjoying the buzz and enjoying the rush of adrenaline

Broke my ankel turning on a pedal.

Learn Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Michael Angelo Batio's techniques and tricks as soon as possible and challenge myself harder and more often.

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    A nylon strung Hohner acoustic out of the Argos catalogue bought for me for my 12th birthday.

My blue Ibanez SZ520QM. That guitar has so many stories to tell.

Probably the above Ibanez which is circa 2000/1. I'm not overly in to vintage stuff.

A van because I can't fit my rig in my car in one go!

Usually D'Addario EXL148's which are 12-60 although sometimes I go for a .62 6th and a wound 3rd.

Checking how drunk the singer is and outside having a cigarette.

Having another cigarette.

I had a guitar strap snap on me early in a set....with no spare or back-up guitar! Had to kneel down for the rest of the set. I've always carried spares of everything and at least 3 guitars to every gig since.

Practice more. Definitely.

Ibanez Blazer, handed down by a step brother

Original 1966 Custom Colour P bass

The above mentioned bass

Apogee interface 

D'addario master race!

Frantically trying to remember the songs.

Looking for my cables

String break with no backup.

Spend more time practicing more time developing musically and less time worrying about gear.
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?  It was this tobacco burst Aria Pro Strat Copy. I really hated that guitar, but my folks wanted to avoid spending loads on a guitar if I was going to drop it after a month or two. This was in 1995, after about 8 months my folks were so pleased at how I stuck at it, they took me to the PMT in Oxford (it had just opened!) and they got my a 1995 Fender Jag-Stang in Fiesta Red. It was my only guitar right up till 2014, when I bought my very first Gibson!

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? My 1979 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in Ebony

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? My 1979 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?  I want to get a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a Gibson Flying V '67 reissue

5: What strings do you use? D'addario NYXL's 10-42 , except for my Strat Plus replica which has Lace Sensor Golds. For that guitar I use D'addario Pure Steels 10-46 and you really need more high end with these pups

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? N/A

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? N/A

8: ...And five minutes after? N/A

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?  I was 17 and was doing a school band night. I use to hang out with some real dossers, who just wanted to smoke pot all the time. While myself and the Bassist had instruments and could play them, the biggest dosser of them all who was our "drummer" never bothered to get himself a kit or to spent time practicing just hitting the sticks. He was so stoned he couldn't even do a basic 4/4 beat. I got such bad stage frights from the shame I felt that I was shaking so badly that  I was unable to to strum properly. With no drummer I was unable to keep time and the bassist who was also screaming vocals was not bothering to follow the pace of the song properly, so we were just making a noise. It was my 2nd ever time on stage and I've never been able to get over the horror of that night. I never bothered to go to meet the guys ever again. This was in 1997 and to this day the others guys still hang out and just smoke dope together while never holding down a job. 

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Don't get in a band with the idiots mentioned above and learn something other than Nirvana songs. Don't buy a Jag-Stang get an American Fender Strat Finally take proper guitar lessons!

2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
    First guitar I bought was a Washburn Taurus bass!  Would've been around 2001!

Definitely my Takemine acoustic. The beaut!

Brandless acoustic which just has model 501 printed inside. My Uncle got it second hand from a car boot when he was a kid. He's about 52 now. It's totally battered but sounds amazing.

EITHER a Japanese Tokai explorer/flying V, Hamer explorer or a Johnny Marr Jaguar please. 

I mainly play acoustic, so when I'm playing rhythm guitar on the electric I have a tendency to beat the shit out of it. So not even slinky's are perfect for me!

The vocal takes. On every single one haha. 

Drinking a beer, panicking about lyrics and tuning up.

Packing down!

getting concussion from the headstock of a bass guitar. That or freezing on the intro to don't stop believing (I know!). 

Get out of your comfort zone and learn something you don't like.

A Hagstrom Jimmy D'Aquisto from 1979... I sold it to get a '73 Tele Deluxe, but I wish I still had it...

Sorry - I'm taking two. My latest Les Paul build and my Gibson Les Paul

Probably a US Strat from '01

Difficult to say - maybe an amp cabinet and chassis so I can put my own amp together

Ernie Balls, usually. D'Addario if Ernie has left the building

The mix

Probably having a laugh with friends or maybe tuning up

Probably chatting to people at the gig and downing a drink

Recently, an inconsistent lead from my pedal board sapping my sound - very difficult to trace because it was intermittent. I thought my amp or pedal board was on the blink. Either that or the moment the output transformer on my 100w Superlead decided to give up the ghost

TONE!!! It's all about getting the right basic tone to begin with

A two-bob piece of crap bought mid eighties from Soundgear in Great Yarmouth. 

Only got one, a Cort, it's ok but I'd be saving my dogs!  

My crappy old battle scarred Westfield

A nice rock and roll bed for my V Dub T5 

Not bothered

I wish I'd had money to spend on good gear to get a better sound, I was never ever happy with the sound I got in the studio    

My traditional pre-match dump, then maybe a quick tune up ...And five minutes after? 
    Making sure I've got two pints to take on stage 

Just bad gigs, nothing spectacular

Spend time on mechanics of music and the bass guitar 
    Lying in the dark not far away, there's a little old man in an allyway, slipping away from the pain and cold so his tale of a devil will never be told!

A new Encore Stratocaster for about £100 in about 1992/3 when I was about 15.

Easy; the American Standard Strat I bought new earlier this year.

Washburn MG-42 with a Floyd Rose which I bought around 94/95. It is a good guitar, but I grew to dislike it’s ‘pointy’ styling and the Floyd Rose is a nightmare which never keeps in tune.

SG or a Guild S-100 to play heavier/darker stuff.

I also want an amp; I'm still using a Marshsal Valvestate 8040 I bought in the mid 90's. It's good, but damn there are so many amazing amps to choose from these days, fancying  a Laney Cub 10 or 12 at the moment

Fender 9/42 or Daddario 9/42

Not made it on to a recording yet

shitting myself

Drink

A melt down with looper pedal, playing and singing at the same time co-ordination. I hadn't practiced enough

Find a better teacher, learn how to hold a pick correctly and alternate pick. Don't be so feckin shy, write songs and form your own band.

• Ally1BSAlly1BS Frets: 14
    A little 3/4-size classical kids guitar for Christmas when I was about 9 or 10, which would have been (eek) about 1975/6

It's not the most valuable, but it would be my Washburn parlour, which has some very personal sentimental value.

A Tokai Strat copy from the mid 80s, from a time when Tokai were making guitars that put the Japanese Fenders & Squiers to shame. Classic Hank Marvin cherry red, white fretboard, natural maple neck.  

Not lusting after anything at the moment, but there's a gap on the wall where a semi-acoustic jazz guitar could find a loving home. Maybe one of those dirty looking Ibanez mahogany hollow-bodies.

D'Addario bronze on the acoustic. Slinkies on the strat. 

Take off  & nuke them all from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. 

Long time since I've been on  stage, but I would normally have been drinking or smoking anything that wasn't nailed down.

Drinking & smoking everything including the things that were nailed down. 

Once played a function room above a working men's social club where downstairs the Karaoke had a PA far better than ours. We were trying to play a sensitive, delicate blues song while the floorboards were being rattled by an old bloke wailing "YOU ARE ALWAYS ON MAAH MAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIND...."  downstairs

Funnily enough, my elder son is now 14 & really keen, just forming his first bands etc, so this is a very practical question for me. Truth is I'm trying really hard not to give him advice, he doesn't need it from me, but beyond the usual (enjoy yourself, practise etc) I'd just say listen - properly - to as much diverse music as possible. I wish I'd been a lot less snobby & more broadminded when I was young, I missed out on so much.

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    edited October 2016
    an Aria Acoustic, and a 1985 black Japanese Squire Strat. Still have both, the strat is on regular rotation. Will have got both of them from the now defunct music shop in Llandudno, in about 1997.

My '92 Tokai Breezysound

The '85 Strat

A Fender '68 Vintage Modified Custom Deluxe Reverb. And a number of guitar pedals.

D'addrio XL 11 gauge, pretty much across the board

As a producer I have difficulty putting anything to bed...so everything? Generally guitar solos and vocal mixes are tough.

Drinking water, necking a whisky, warming up the hands

Shaking from adrenaline, neatly packing away gear messily rushed off stage, spray deodorant on myself, hugging the band, drinking water, necking whisky, warming down the hands.

Totally forgot how to play a guitar part I had written

Practice more, learn to read music, stop being lazy.
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135

An acoustic I bought from a guy at school for a fiver.
    Probably my custom shop strat  , White with Brazilian rosewood board,SVL Fatboy 59 pickups .yum

1973 Yamaki strat , ash body 

Got an urge for an SG , and maybe a little fender amp ... And so on 
    Curt Mangan 10s or 11s 
    elixiers for acoustic

Did some recording with a band called PsiJamma in the 90's and I would change the fact that we didn't get enough people to hear it...

Having a pee, maybe a gulp of red wine !

Loads of water, maybe a gulp of red wine... Chatting with whoever.

I played in a duo years ago with a true rock n roller Ray Neale of Shotgun , Lord Sutch fame.Ray had moved to Devon and I used to play rhythm while he played the most amazing rocknroll guitar on a late 50s Rickki and sang the real deal .One Highlight of the set was for him to do a sort of forward roll and end up on the floor with the guitar behind his head ,still playing it ....  The number of pints Ray had had determined how successful these acrobatics were.We were playing a pub at Christmas time and Ray went into his move ,unfortunately his leg caught the nearby Christmas tree , bringing the whole thing down, lights, beer and all. I was left playing a very empty 12 bar .

Play with other people as much as you can and yes  get into some theory , when youre young you learn without realising ...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom