Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Signature guitar gimmicks that devalue the model

What's Hot

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    IanSavage;117139" said:
    littlethoughts said:

I went into PMT in Bristol the other day and I saw that they had a PRS SE billy Martin, used for £116. This is an absolutely great guitar for the money, and essentially a PRS SE standard 22 in all but name.

I'd have snapped that up, bargain! :o
    Maybe so! But I've got my heart set on a bass vi whenever the shops finally have one in stock for me to try and be sure I actually want one so I probably shouldn't be buying yet more guitars...
    It doesn't seem to be on their website, guessing someone's had it :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox;116592" said:
    On the other hand, like you say, it's a great way to pick up a decent guitar for less money... swings and roundabouts...  :D
    Good for you, but not good if you want to sell one ;)
    So, always buy second hand...  :)
  • The neck on the Eric Johnson strat. Feels wrong to me, flat board on a thick neck on a fender is wrong!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I love the PRS SE range, but I just couldn't buy a guitar knowing it was the sig of the guy from *that band,* even if it was only that bargain price!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    dogload said:
    The Squier J Mascis sinature Jazzmaster has to be one of the best signature guitars going (except perhaps the Susannah Hoffs 350, Tom Petty 660/12, John Kay 381 and McGuinn 360/12 Rickenbackers).
    There is nothing that detract from the design and much to make it more playable, but nothing glaringly upsetting to Jazzmaster fans.
    except the term being in wrong place….
    And the raduis of the audjust o matic being a 12" and the fretboard a 9.5"
    TBH I think it's a bit of a non-issue, like the trem placement- it's not really a cork-sniffer's guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    PRS DGT. Love it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
    tFB Trader
    That's probably an example of a guitar where half the people that own it don't even know it's a sig!
  • That's probably an example of a guitar where half the people that own it don't even know it's a sig!
    Hah, "It's the signature that really puts me off getting a Gibson Les Paul" ;)
  • dogload said:
    The Squier J Mascis sinature Jazzmaster has to be one of the best signature guitars going (except perhaps the Susannah Hoffs 350, Tom Petty 660/12, John Kay 381 and McGuinn 360/12 Rickenbackers).
    There is nothing that detract from the design and much to make it more playable, but nothing glaringly upsetting to Jazzmaster fans.
    Never thought about that actually. I got action pretty good. Better than my Marr currently.
  • dogload said:
    Never thought about that actually. I got action pretty good. Better than my Marr currently.
  • The Sonic Youth Jazzmasters, Chris Cornell 335, Yamaha SA503TVL are all brilliant guitars that happen to be signatures but tastefully and discretely done.  I wish they would depreciate quickly.  I have one of the new TVL Jazzmasters on pre-order but thats nothing to do with the artist association either
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    That's because it's a good thing to have the bridge radius a bit larger than the fingerboard radius. It's difficult to explain without drawing it, but you want to have the action slightly higher on each string going from high E to low E, which requires a larger 'circle' - you can't achieve it with a the bridge radius and the fingerboard radius the same, without making the middle strings too high. This is possibly counterintuitive, but it's really true! And is also the big problem with the Mustang bridge, which matches the fingerboard radius too closely.

The problem with the tune-o-matic is that it doesn't rock properly and the saddles are too sharp, so the strings snag when you use the trem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said: The problem with the tune-o-matic is that it doesn't rock properly and the saddles are too sharp, so the strings snag when you use the trem.
    Hence the roller-bridge replacement. It makes using a lot of trem (sorry,
    vibrato! ;) ) a lot less of a worry.
  • The term on the Mascis is rubbish compared to the sublime Marr one. Ive just locked the Mascis down. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Yeah - I have been saying to myself for years that if only I could get a Johnny Depp signature guitar...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yeah - I have been saying to myself for years that if only I could get a Johnny Depp signature guitar...

The best thing about Johnny Depp playing the guitar is the fact that I can sit back smugly and say I'm better at something than he is :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited January 2014
    Lixarto said:
    57Deluxe said:

The best thing about Johnny Depp playing the guitar is the fact that I can sit back smugly and say I'm better at something than he is :)

I dunno, I bet I can dye his wife's hair better than him.  I'm a dab hand at the non-rinse tint :)

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Some day everyone will have their own signature guitar.. Ok - maybe not..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Next time you do a partscaster, sign the headstock, drop of varnish, et voila! Your very own signature guitar.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've actually got a couple I could be scribbling on..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.