Bluguitar AMP1 Hints & Tips

What's Hot
TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
This is a placeholder for a thread that AMP1 users can post questions, hints and tips onto. Who knows, it may help someone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Has anyone else found a similar facility on the Internet?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    My main hint is to send it back within 28 days and get a refund.

I was very disappointed by the one I had.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MadNadMadNad Frets: 0
    thanks @TheBigDipper for starting this thread.
    Can you pls send me some more details on the CC commands you use for volume and power soak?
    thnx
  • MadNad said:
    thanks @TheBigDipper for starting this thread.
    Can you pls send me some more details on the CC commands you use for volume and power soak?
    thnx
    My pleasure. Here's what I can do using my M-Audio keyboard through the MIDI1 cable.

CCnnn using data values from 0 to 127 (0% to 100%)

CC007 sets the level of the Master (Power Amp) volume.
    CC020 sets the level of the Volume (Clean Channel) or Gain (Overdrive channels).
    CC030 sets the level of the Power Soak (which I find really useful at home).

So, sending CC030 032 sets the Power Soak to 25% and makes it a nice 1W home use amp. 

In my manual this is documented on page 93. Unlike earlier manuals, my manual doesn't say anything about toggling specific functions (such as Effects Loop on/off) using PC commands. I don't think those features work for "MIDI Learn" AMP1s. 

Issuing any PC command resets them back to 100%. That's not in the documentation.  Bluguitar support says that's just how MIDI works. 

Have fun. Norm

• @MadNad ;

My MIDI cable is mono, not stereo, and does not look like the one in the manual. I bought mine from Thomann and it looks just like their catalogue picture on their website.

Your PC command for the Master volume looks fine. It's been several weeks since I last plugged my MIDI1 cable in, but I'll try out PC007 again when I get a chance, just to make sure I'm not remembering it wrongly. I really only wanted to set the Power Soak at home, so that's what I did almost 100% of the time. 
  • @MadNad ;

Just a thought - you may already have considered this.

Some MIDI controllers number the 16 MIDI channels as 0-15. Others (like my M-Audio) use 1-16. Have you tried using MIDI channel 0 rather than 1? 
    Channel 1 works fine for PC commands, so I use the same one.
    My midi controller has 4 parameters: type of command which I set to PC or CC, Channel which I set to 1, parameter which I set to 7, 20 or 30 and value which I set to (1 for 0% and 128 for 100%). For the time being, I have tried sending a single CC command and it doesn't work.
    I'll try with different combinations of successive PC, CC commands.
  • MadNad said:
    My midi controller has 4 parameters: type of command which I set to PC or CC, Channel which I set to 1, parameter which I set to 7, 20 or 30 and value which I set to (1 for 0% and 128 for 100%). For the time being, I have tried sending a single CC command and it doesn't work.

I'm being daft. If it can see your PC commands on channel 1 then of course it should see your CC commands as well. 

I'd still suggest testing using channel 0, though, if you have one available on your MIDI controller, because it might be that pre-programmed commands like CC007 must be on the first MIDI channel (0 or 1 depending on your controller) whereas "MIDI Learn" on the AMP1 is able to see commands on all channels. My hypothesis being, you're sending PC commands on what you believe is channel 1, but to AMP1 it's really channel 2, but it works anyway, because it can see it and learn it for next time. Then, when you send a CC007/020/030 command on what you believe is channel 1, it actually gets seen (and ignored) as being on channel 2 and therefore not something for AMP1 to respond to.  

Out of curiosity, what is your MIDI controller?

Good luck! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's Joyo PXL Live
    MadNad said:

I'm being daft. If it can see your PC commands on channel 1 then of course it should see your CC commands as well. 

I'd still suggest testing using channel 0, though, if you have one available on your MIDI controller, because it might be that pre-programmed commands like CC007 must be on the first MIDI channel (0 or 1 depending on your controller) whereas "MIDI Learn" on the AMP1 is able to see commands on all channels. My hypothesis being, you're sending PC commands on what you believe is channel 1, but to AMP1 it's really channel 2, but it works anyway, because it can see it and learn it for next time. Then, when you send a CC007/020/030 command on what you believe is channel 1, it actually gets seen (and ignored) as being on channel 2 and therefore not something for AMP1 to respond to.  

Out of curiosity, what is your MIDI controller?

Good luck! 
    Good point. Maybe Midi Learn is Channel insensitive. I'll try to see if there is a Channel 0 on my Joyo PXL midi controller
    No Luck!
    Channels on my controller go from 01 to 16.
  • MadNad said:
    No Luck!
    Two more things I've thought of...

1. There is an undocumented "MIDI Reset" function that wipes the MIDI memory on your AMP1. (Did I say this already?). On the Bluguitar YouTube channel, there is an FAQ video explaining how to do it. It worked for me when I got mixed up with my PC command settings one time. I did the reset and then relearned my patch settings. As I believe the CC commands are hardwired into the amp, I don't know if it will help, but anyway...

2. The other thing is to make sure you're only sending a CC command when you press the patch button, or a PC command followed by a CC command. I know from my own experience that a CC command followed by a PC command will reset the CC parameter back to 100%.

N
    MadNad said:
    No Luck!
    Two more things I've thought of...

1. There is an undocumented "MIDI Reset" function that wipes the MIDI memory on your AMP1. (Did I say this already?). On the Bluguitar YouTube channel, there is an FAQ video explaining how to do it. It worked for me when I got mixed up with my PC command settings one time. I did the reset and then relearned my patch settings. As I believe the CC commands are hardwired into the amp, I don't know if it will help, but anyway...

2. The other thing is to make sure you're only sending a CC command when you press the patch button, or a PC command followed by a CC command. I know from my own experience that a CC command followed by a PC command will reset the CC parameter back to 100%.

N
    Ok, I'll try this thanks a lot for your input!
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Hi everyone
    I just got an amp1 from hotrox and I'm struggling with a couple of things at the mo. 
    The biggy for me is when I use a TC Triple delay in the fx loop, the volume drops.
    I tried poking a screwdriver in the fx level hole but there doesn't seem to be a button in there just a little white square and it didn't do much. 
  • bignorm said:
    Hi everyone
    I just got an amp1 from hotrox and I'm struggling with a couple of things at the mo. 
    The biggy for me is when I use a TC Triple delay in the fx loop, the volume drops.
    I tried poking a screwdriver in the fx level hole but there doesn't seem to be a button in there just a little white square and it didn't do much. 
    Hi.

I use a TC Alter Ego in the FX loop and it works fine there. No volume drops. I've got the FX loop running in serial mode and the loop level button on the base is set to 'Low'.

The Alter Ego itself is set to run "True Bypass" and "Kill Dry Off" - so I'm sending the unaltered signal through the loop as well. (I do this because I sometimes run my pedals into another amp which doesn't have an effects loop). 

The white square is a button, but it doesn't move very far between high and low positions. 

What else is bugging you? 

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    bignorm said:
    Hi everyone
    Hi.

I use a TC Alter Ego in the FX loop and it works fine there. No volume drops. I've got the FX loop running in serial mode and the loop level button on the base is set to 'Low'.

The Alter Ego itself is set to run "True Bypass" and "Kill Dry Off" - so I'm sending the unaltered signal through the loop as well. (I do this because I sometimes run my pedals into another amp which doesn't have an effects loop). 

The white square is a button, but it doesn't move very far between high and low positions. 

What else is bugging you? 

I sent the first one back coz there was something up with the fx loop, Hot Rox sent another one out to try as I really wanted this amp to work.
    The replacement sounded fantastic at home but once I got it up to gig volume, everything started to unravel. 
    The first niggle was trying to balance the tone between s/coil pick ups and the bridge humbucker. 
    In 40 years of playing I've used all sorts of amps so I'm no beginner when it comes to dialing in amp sounds etc.
    Using my trusty Prs EGII with fralin s/c dominos and bridge humbucker, I set up a superb cleanish tone on the vintage channel, sweet with just a hint of dirt when digging in. I read somewhere that the trick was to set up the vintage channel first and use the trimpots to tweak the other channels to suit... Switch to the bridge humbucker and it sounded awful, all mid honk.
    Dial out the honky humbucker and the Fralins sounded horrible. 
    Ok perhaps the amp doesn't like my Fralins, so I switched to my H/SH alder bodied Prs. 
    Same problem, the Seymour Duncan S/Cs sounded great but humbuckers sounded honky. 
    I tried lowering the humbucker to see if that helped .. Nope they just sounded lifeless. 
    I spent ages fiddling around, but in the end I gave up, in all the years I've been playing I've never come across such a fiddly amp. 
    Im not happy with the build quality either, a couple of those little trimpots were loose, totally unacceptable on a new amp. 
    The icing on the cake was when the amp obviously got hot and the volume dipped and came back a couple of times. It's going back tomorrow as I've lost faith in its reliability. 
    If I wanted a at home rehearsal and recording amp I think it would definitely fit the bill, but I'm after a gigging amp and I just don't think it's there yet. 
    Like I already said, I really wanted this to work coz the holy grail is having a amp that sounds huge but you could fit in your gigbag. 

Oh well back to the grandemeister for a while longer. 
  • What a shame for you. FWIW, I've never been able to balance humbuckers and single coil pickups successfully on any channel of any one amp, this one included. As you say, one will sound great and the other not so much. The only way round it that I've found is to gently boost single coil PuPs to match the input levels of the humbuckers (which changes their tone) and to use  a graphic EQ pedal to reduce the darkness and woolliness of humbuckers going through an amp set up for single coils. Using different channels with independent EQs seems to be an easier way round it - but you need the right amp for that - most amps with independent EQ for each channel have the channels voiced differently as well. 

I had a noisy (faulty) mini pot on my original Amp1 and got the amp replaced. The current one seems fine, although I'll keep an ear open for volume drops based on what you've said. I've had this one for 6 months. 
  • The fiddly trim pots are disgraceful
    i struggled to get it working at volume as well but the dip in volume when you engage the boost .... I couldn't deal with it
  • Mine has a fault on the boost dial.  It gets past halfway and ****s the bed, the volume dropping massively.  I've emailed BluGuitar but it's out of warranty and, last time it looked like it had a problem, it was going to cost a fortune to send it back to Germany for repair :(
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Mine has a fault on the boost dial.  It gets past halfway and ****s the bed, the volume dropping massively.  I've emailed BluGuitar but it's out of warranty and, last time it looked like it had a problem, it was going to cost a fortune to send it back to Germany for repair :(
    That's poor. Have you had a reply from BluGuitar yet or is it them who told you it's out of warranty? Did you buy it in the UK?