The Telecaster Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh well, here goes -currently enjoying a renewed interest in this since reinstating the original HB

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited December 2013
    Nice thread folks - my favourite topic!

Here's mine - another Nigel Crinson blackguard:

I tried many telecasters, from Mexican to custom shop before purchasing this and it's easily the best out of them all.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    JohnPerry said:
    sinbaadi said:
    JohnPerry said:
    I have a few. This is the best. My Jeff Senn Pomona

That is exquisite.

Thanks. He's an exceptional talent is Jeff
    I don't know much about guitar builders, I'd never heard of him, but it just oozes quality and a great colour/finish/material combination to boot.
    Did you have this built to your specifications?
  • Some truly beautiful guitars on here. That Jeff Senn, frinstance, is gawjus and a lot of the self-builds put these to shame -

The first is a kit, the first partscaster I ever did. It has a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and I forget what it has in the neck position. I binned the kit neck and put in a Dr Parts one.

In the second pic, the one on the left is a mix of a lump of pinewood, the neck from a variax off Sporky, and the cheapest electrics and pups I could find, so that it would go in the £100 Clarksonesque challenge thing a few years back. Rough as a bear's behind in everything but the neck.

The one on the right is a three piece alder body off the evil that is bay, a Dr Parts neck, plus some electrics and Iron Gear pups from that lovely man in Cumbria, ex of this parish, Sir Keith Axetec.

I've never owned a real Tele, though I'd love to one day.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    JolietJake;117835" said:
    My partscaster. vintage voiced pickups (syemour duncan, but forget what they were called)
    Fantastic top and finish, very nice.
  • I quite like that pine one...
    Lukeage;118273" said:
    Yes, it's also my dp here... but here's some better photos of the body.

Quite pleased with this. She's only a Squier Affinity as well!! 

I remember when I went Tele shopping, playing the metallic blue one and loving everything about it except the finish. So I asked them to show me what other options existed. Not really liking any of the others and wanting the maple 'board I settled for butterscotch blonde. It took a few days to make its way up here but when it did - even the guys in the shop were kinda like "Oh wow that one came out better than expected!" So that's me butterscotch Squier Tele, no mods or anything. Just as they come out of the box. :) Nice, nice. 
    That looks great and probably one of the best colour combinations. Hard to believe the price these go for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Three of my babies...

Left to right - the black one started off life as a regular Fender Telecaster in 1972 with a rosewood board, but I broke the original neck... so it now has an Allparts one, plus Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups. The middle one is a Guitar Build body, finished with a Wudtone Dairy Blonde kit, Oil City Pickups and a Squier CV neck. The one on the right was a Squier Standard series and now sports a Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup and a Fender Broadcaster bridge pickup - and its now strung 'Nashville' high tuning.

And one of the other one, being used and abused live... The body is an Alder one made for me by John Manuel, the neck is from a Fender Light Ash Tele and is about as birdseye as it gets. The pickups are original hand wound Kent Armstrong units from the 1980s. Its an amazing piece of kit and has done many gigs with me. Sorry about the silly face... I'm not sure what I was thinking...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Here's mine. 1960 Fender CS John Cruz masterbuilt relic.

6lbs 13oz.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    @impmann how on Earth does one break a Tele neck???
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    An ill-advised rock n roll move at the end of Teenage Kicks, that coincided with a low lighting gantry! I smashed the headstock off between the D & G string tuners... It was badly splintered and all the luthiers that saw it said it was likely to be weak in the future. It wasn't  nice neck, though... I'm not a fan of early 70s Fender neck profiles. It was repaired and fitted to a friends' Tele but even he had to concede that it was a crappy neck and has since been replaced with a Warmoth.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    sinbaadi said:
    JohnPerry said:
    sinbaadi said:
    JohnPerry said:
    I have a few. This is the best. My Jeff Senn Pomona

That is exquisite.

Thanks. He's an exceptional talent is Jeff
    I don't know much about guitar builders, I'd never heard of him, but it just oozes quality and a great colour/finish/material combination to boot.
    Did you have this built to your specifications?

I did.
    It's funny where this stuff leads us. A couple of years ago i was YouTubing to find out how the Lollar blackface strat pickups sounded. A vid came up with a bloke i'd never heard of called Tom Bukovac, picking up his new Jeff Senn strat in nashville. Bukovac very quickly became one of my favourite guitar players and turns out to be one of the go-to session guys out there. A bit of research told me that Jeff Senn was a very sought-after guitar maker indeed in a town where everyone seems to play guitar.
    Jeff was working full-time building and repairing for the session blokes, and big names such as keith urban, and wasn't taking any orders from ordinary punters. Then he had a slot or two open up in 2012 and i got him to build my dream tele, which he did from the ground up, so to speak.
    I had it shipped over here and paid all the tax and it was still a staggeringly good price compared with a masterbuilt custom shop fender, which is i suppose the nearest comparison. It is the best tele I've played, by a mile.
    Later i went through the same process with a strat, with the exact same result (i'll stick this in the Strat thread when I have a chance), except this one i picked up from Jeff in nashville last month. Aside from being a genius with a staggering ear and attention to detail, he is also a very cool bloke and a seriously great player.

impmann;119203" said:
    Three of my babies...

Left to right - the black one started off life as a regular Fender Telecaster in 1972 with a rosewood board, but I broke the original neck... so it now has an Allparts one, plus Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups. The middle one is a Guitar Build body, finished with a Wudtone Dairy Blonde kit, Oil City Pickups and a Squier CV neck. The one on the right was a Squier Standard series and now sports a Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup and a Fender Broadcaster bridge pickup - and its now strung 'Nashville' high tuning.

And one of the other one, being used and abused live... The body is an Alder one made for me by John Manuel, the neck is from a Fender Light Ash Tele and is about as birdseye as it gets. The pickups are original hand wound Kent Armstrong units from the 1980s. Its an amazing piece of kit and has done many gigs with me. Sorry about the silly face... I'm not sure what I was thinking...
    4 very nice telecasters, it's quite scary how much you look like my cousin in the 2nd photo.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    That is a lovely guitar @JohnPerry
    Ta

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 376
    impmann said:

I thought this pic was from the '80s until I spotted the Facebook logo & web address  :P

• BBB2005BBB2005 Frets: 12
    edited January 2014
    Thought I would add my recently acquired Fender Tele Plus USA 1997. Its a sort of Teal colour with cream binding. Looks lovely, plays and sounds great. This is the second "Plus" version and was discontinued to make way for the Deluxe models. image

• A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    Megii said:
    Guitarbuild.co.uk one piece swamp ash body (custom routed for the 3 pickups and no scratchplate), Axesrus True Modern one piece maple neck (fairly chunky C profile), Chris Hernandez custom-wound pickups, all alnico 3 magnet. The extra switch is a 3-way allowing the neck to be added to whatever is selected via the 5-way, either in series or parallel - gives 10 different pickup configurations. First partscaster I did, still play it a lot, does jazz really nicely for one thing! :)

Oooh very nice - considering doing something with a Guitarbuild body in the future, how did you choose to finish that one?
    CloudNine said:
    Glamour shot on the floor... It was actually lying there anyway when I read this thread.

Best sounding Tele I have played by miles. Fralin (neck) and Florance (bridge) pickups. Sugarpine body, about 6.5lbs.  

Yeah that's kinda gorgeous, sugar pine Tele's are really growing on me. Can I ask what make it is, or was it a homebrew deal?
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    @A_T_W It's a Haar. Would definitely recommend trying some. He makes them all from scratch with great quality wood. All necks Plekked as well. They are generally great guitars. Hard to find any to try in the UK though.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited January 2014