Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Hi @TTony, ;

Guitar Repairs Birmingham has closed it's doors. I know Joe who owns it, and he stopped a little while ago. You'll notice the link is dead. Someone else may have mentioned it, but I haven't checked here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonsimon Frets: 41
    Another vote for LA Guitars in Finchley, North London http://www.laguitars.com

Friendly, helpful and speedy service for a repair to an acoustic. David also checked over an electric I was thinking of buying and spent some time taking me through the process of what needed looking at and what they do during a proper set up. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. 
  • mitchmitch Frets: 2
    If your in Devon check out Phil at project Music. He just re set my PRS up after another guy had messed around with it and its great. Plays better than ever. I had a real issue keeping it in tune when using the trem and he has sorted it out a treat.

• mitchmitch Frets: 2
    http://www.projectmusic.net/

This is a link to the Project Music site by the way.
  • Jim Fleeting in Stockport has done quite major work on a Martin and an ancient Levin of mine.  Very high quality work and not overpriced - also a really nice guy. He also builds electrics and acoustics.  http://jimfleetingguitars.com/    07792 457741
  • derndern Frets: 357
    edited July 2016
    My 2012 LP Studio needs a quality nut and I'm in Newbury, Berkshire... can anyone recommend someone near me to do this? Don't have time to travel miles at the moment. Anyone used Hogans Music for this type of work?

Thanks
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Any recommendations for the South Coast?

Anyone tried either Absolute Music or The Guitar Shop (Soton)?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Just here to give a +1 for Howard Smith in Leicester. Just got my SG back after he fitted a new nut, polished the frets and gave it a setup. Transformed the guitar. I could tell from looking it how much better it was going to play as my pickups were a lot lower meaning he managed to get the action really low but still somehow no buzz! Highly recommended. I won't be taking my other guitars anywhere else from now on.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    I'd like to give a massive recommendation to Graham Hill in Trowbridge - brilliant bloke and a great tech, fixed my beloved Les Paul's headstock break with no fuss, regular pictorial updates, a very quick turnaround and an extremely reasonable price! I'd trust him with any repairs. Can't recommend him enough!
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    10thumbs said:
    +1 for KGB in Birkenhead.
    make that +2 for KGB. They've done loads of work for me, top luthiers and good guys!
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
    +1 for Andy Gibson on Denmark Street, under Macaris. Approachable guy, very reasonable prices given the location, and really knows his onions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I have contacted five guys over the last week to do some work for me. It's not much but it needs a skilled hand.

My local will only pick up and drop off at my local shop once a week on a Saturday, no matter how small the job. He works somewhere else where they won't tell me and only makes the trip once a week to drop off what's done and collect the next jobs. How there is ever any next jobs don't know but i'm not going without my only guitar for a week just for a couple of hours work.

Matt from St Ives did a great job with my frets but sadly this is woodwork and he very honestly told me he's not set up do that, which i appreciated. Matt is a lovely bloke who i talk to often and it's to his credit he didn't take it on.

Matt recommended John Haire in Peterborough. His website is excellent and it looks perfect except British rail want £70 for a day return from Bedford to Peterborough ! (And we thought selling the car would save money !) I haven't phoned John yet because of that.

There's another one in Stevenage who's name i forget but again he looks ideal but getting there is awkward. The only way i can do that is a coach. I don't mind that and £32 return is easier to swallow, not far above what petrol would have cost (Approx £15-20 round trip). The bloody coach company insists that i put my guitar in the hold underneath. It's in a gig bag so that's that idea out of the window too.

I emailed another local who's home-made website isn't wow but he seems to have work on and a comprehensive list of what he can do, but he didn't reply after a few days.

I phoned Abbot Music and to be fair he is very nice guy but he openly and very honestly told me straight he has had some family problems and won't be taking on any work for a couple of weeks due to that. He sounded traumatised when he answered the phone actually so i quickly apologised and said i would call him back if i needed to and wished him the best.

I phoned Howard in Leicester and left a really polite voicemail and he didn't get back to me either.

Do i just live in a dead spot?

I'm now looking into how much it will cost to get on the train (I live 2 minutes from Bedford Station) and get to Candlers in Kew. It's two changes at St Pancras/Kings Cross and a line change at Hammersmith. 
    My next operation isn't until September 8th but it's the big one this time, open surgery and as well as being in hospital for up to a week afterwards instead of day surgery, the recovery period is 3 times longer. While my mobility is severely affected now, it's going to be zero after the 8th so i really need this doing this coming week.

All it is, is the shelf that holds the floyd rose locking nut needs lowering and dressing and the two holes that secure it need to be filled and re-drilled as Jackson can't put them in the right place or drill them straight. It doesn't even need the strings to come off the guitar (Although if it did it's a 2 minute job with a floyd and some blocks) and once the 1st fret string height is correct, the rest will fall into place in minutes.

I'm not in great shape and can't walk far but i don't mind trying, i'm sick to death of being locked up in here anyway. I was trying to use the trains because the station is so close but the bus station isn't that much further, it's just their luggage policy that rules that out.
    I'm not being lazy, i will do whatever it takes to get there but if i could find someone who will just do a quick job for me i would really appreciate it.

Anyone got any ideas?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great !
    Just spoke to chandlers.
    It's only £25 return on the train so it's do-able.

The job will be around £45 and they won't alter the shelf they will just regrind the base of the nut,.............again.
    I really didn't want that plus that doesn't even address the issue with the holes being in the wrong place.

Plus it's a £30 surcharge for me to drop it off and then pick it up later that day. I was trying to avoid another train journey and another train ticket on a different day to collect it but that will cost about the same as a separate journey now.

So that's almost £100 !

Owning a cheap Jackson in Bedford is not a good idea.
    Success.

I am going on a reasonably priced train to Leicester on Wednesday where Howard is going to do exactly what i want for a reasonable price while i go and read a book somewhere that serves nice tea.

Brilliant.
    I really needed something to smile about today.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Spent a few hours in Leicester while Howard fixed my guitar. It is now exactly the way i knew it should be and he has done an excellent job.
    I was really pleased with the price and he went a few steps further than i asked him to, just to see the job done perfectly including re-levelling and re-dressing the frets.

A proper great guy and clearly very good at what he does.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The chaps at Guitar Aid in Putney are great, if a little hectic! 
  • MarkayMarkay Frets: 0
    TTony said:

People who can make, mod, set-up and generally look after your treasured gear ...

I've just moved this over from the "making & modding" thread as it's mainly about set-ups, maintenance, repairs, etc.  And I've made it "sticky".

I'll keep this post updated with the recommendations.  Please include location in any recommendations

East Anglia

Felixstowe.  Steve at Guitar Lodge.  Recommended by Monquixote.  TTony.

Great Glemham.  Colin Fulton (07913-797193).  Recommended by Phil_aka_Pip.

Sudbury.  Martyn Booth.  Recommended by ESBlonde.

Sudbury.  Robbie Gladwell.  Recommended by sufrguy13.  TTony.

Essex

Harlow:  Barry at Gig Gear.  Recommended by Lexie1.

Harlow:  Murray Torkildsen.  Recommended by boogieman.

London

London.  Graham at Andy's Guitar.

London.  Philippe at Philippe Dubreuille Guitars.

E - Hackney.  Leon at Grizzly Guitars.

London & Home Counties

N - Buckingham.  Mark at liv-guitars.

N - Stevenage:  Terry Chapman.  Recommended by Fretwired.  surfguy13.

N London:  LA Strings.  Recommended by Fretwired.

S - Croydon:  Feline Guitars.  Recommended by stickyfiddle.

W - Richmond:  Matt at Monty's Guitars.  Recommended by photek.

W - Sutton:  David Kennett @ Flame Guitars.  Recommended by elkay.

W - Walton on Thames.  Trevor at Rosendean Fine Guitars

Manchester

Manchester.  Brian Eastwood.  Recommended by blueskunk.

Manchester.  Manchester Guitar Tech.  Recommended by Basher

Midlands

Alford.  John at John Le Voi Guitars.

Aston.  RP Guitars.

Birmingham.  Bob at Bob Barry Guitars.

Birmingham.  John at Jaydee Custom Guitars.

Birmingham.  Trevor at PMT Birmingham.

Birmingham.  Guitar Repairs Birmingham.

Burton:  Wez Venables.  Recommended by stickyfiddle.  TTony.

Northampton.  Paul at Arrowhead Guitars.

Northampton.  Phoenix Soundworks.

Nottingham.  Andy Farrell.

Peterborough.  Jon at Jon Haire Guitar Services.

Stoke-on-Trent:  Haydon Cardew.  Recommended by gilby.

Tattershall.  Chris at Chris George Guitars.

Warwick.  Peter at Guitar Technical Services.

North

Leeds.  Gordon at Single Coil.

Leeds.  Ben at Beej Guitar Repairs.

Richmond.  Nigel at Nigel's Guitar Workshop.

Wakefield:  Shane Haigh (String Surgeon).  Recommended by Bellycaster

North East

Newcastle.  John at JXG Guitars.

North West

Bolton.  Andy at A6 Guitar Repairs.

Bolton.  Phil at Phil Hartley Guitar Repairs.

Carlisle.  Chris at Overwater Basses.

Manchester.  Paul at Paul Cuthbert Guitars.

Milnrow.  Matt at Guitar Repairer.

Northern Ireland

Coleraine:  Music Room.  Recommended by pintspiller.

Scotland

Dundee.  Rod at Kenny's Music.

Glasgow.  John at Strung Out Guitars.

Maud.  Oliver at Strathbeg.

South East

Sevenoaks.  Julian at The Guitar Centre.

Winchelsea.  James at 12th Fret.

South West

Exeter.  Tim at Mansons Guitar Shop.

Portsmouth.  Steve at PJs Guitar Center.

Southampton.  Greyum at fretmusic.

Wales

Cardiff.  Gareth at Cranes.

Swansea.  Gary at lewiscustomguitars.

West

Aldershot.  Joe at J.White Guitar Workshops.

Bristol.  Tom at Waghorn Guitars.

Bristol.  Eltham at Edge Guitar Services.

Clevedon.  Mark at Clevedon Music Shop.

Exeter.  Phil at Musicroom.

Plymouth.  Chris at Hartnoll Guitar Centre.

Kay @ www.facebook.com/rockfieldguitarengineering Rockfield Guitar Engineering Monmouth Wales also same guys contracts as DS Music Guitar Engineer in Monmouth
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    another +1 for Robbie Gladwell he set up my melody maker perfectly and even though it has a trem on it it stays in tune!
  • +1 for @FelineGuitars  - who just did a stellar job with a fret dress and a few teaks to the electronics on the Heritage 535 - plays beautifully
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • rico said:
    The chaps at Guitar Aid in Putney are great, if a little hectic! 
    +1 for Guitar Aid

Did a great job on my guitar.