New workshop time (nearly there...)

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Sporky said:
    Trickier - correct colour temperature for the lighting, which tool cabinets (Beta C24S/7, in red), laying out the machines for best workflow when some of them only fit one one side. What to compromise on or do as second phase. Pretty much any time I get stuck in analysis paralysis (which is very often).
    Don't think of it as a phase two project, more as a way of life. You will be able to while away hours deciding which machine tool to add or upgrade next. A bit like some of us do with guitars, pedals and amps.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Well, I do deserve a planer thicknesser with a helical cutter block... and that chopsaw isn't axial glide... and the pillar drill is varispeed, sure, but it's CVT not electronic control.

Dang it, you're right!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    So... inferwebs. Unsurprisingly the wifi doesn't extend to the end of the garden.

From what I've read, Powerline type extenders won't work because the workshop will be linked to the house only at the tails and Powerline won't work back through the RCD - does this sound right? A straight Wifi extender will halve the overall bandwidth in the house. I don't think there's a route (without a lot of drilling) to get an ethernet cable from the router to the workshop.

There is a summerhouse halfway down the garden that's being powered from the house (via a non-armoured cable along the fence - done by the previous owners) so conceivably I could extend via Powerline to that point, then put in a wireless router there.

Any better ideas?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Long Ethernet cable buried under a path.
    It's the linking that back to the router that's tricky - the mains board is the other side of the hall from the living room, where the router is. The electrician does data stuff too though so I'll see what he reckons.
    I have a power line adapter with its own wifi that reaches to the hallway outside the workshop.

Same problem for me in that the workshop is on a separate RCD.
    I still get 60mb/s to the workshop so it is ok.

How far is the summerhouse from the new workshop space?
    About 10m. The power is being surface laid and I can get an armoured CATx in at the same time.
    Sporky said:
    About 10m. The power is being surface laid and I can get an armoured CATx in at the same time.
    Powerline adapter to summerhouse, Ethernet from there to workshop then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That makes sense - then a wireless access point in the workshop. Neat. Ta!
    Sporky said:
    That makes sense - then a wireless access point in the workshop. Neat. Ta!
    Yup.

I have a brand that I can suggest as well, when the time comes.
    Devolo DLAN 1200+ 802.11ac.
    They aren't cheap- but they work great.
  • Personally, I'd go the extra mile and figure out a way to patch directly into your router. It's not a major job putting a cat5/6 cable through a wall and terminating it. It might even be worth considering moving where your phone line comes into the house to make the router more accessible.

Anyway, I too am looking into this project with interest as I am going to be building an office/music room/workshop space myself in the very near future. I've been looking at these: http://soundproofgardenstudios.co.uk/products/outdoorstudios.html because of the double skin thing (yay to being able to make a lot of noise at any time!) but I'd want to experience how well they work before committing (I have a degree in Acoustics so I know how hard soundproofing is, esp for things like drums).

R.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231

Rather than run ethernet cables, would a single dedicated wifi access point aimed towards the garden cover your needs? A single access point should remove the need for another wifi point in the workshop.

Other option could be some dedicated point to point wifi adapters, as they can cover some serious distance with pretty good bandwidth.

Have a look at the wifi section on broadbandbuyer.co.uk as some of the stuff can cover some very large distances, and isn't that expensive as long as you don't want the latest and greatest performance. I was looking at the various options, as I could really do with internet in my workshop, but I've just not got around to deciding the best option.

Anyway, I too am looking into this project with interest as I am going to be building an office/music room/workshop space myself in the very near future. I've been looking at these: http://soundproofgardenstudios.co.uk/products/outdoorstudios.html because of the double skin thing (yay to being able to make a lot of noise at any time!) but I'd want to experience how well they work before committing (I have a degree in Acoustics so I know how hard soundproofing is, esp for things like drums).
    I did some acoustics in my degree, but not to the same extent. I don't need the same level of isolation as there's a railway line at the end of the road, and I'll be making less percussive noise, but I've still gone for the upgrade to Celotex which should be good thermally and a bit for sound. The people who are making mine do non-workshop stuff along the same pattern for a good chunk less money, but they don't have the same degree of sound proofing. Might be worth a look though - http://www.greenretreats.co.uk/ or http://www.thegardenoffice.co.uk/ - all the same bunch.

m_c said:

Rather than run ethernet cables, would a single dedicated wifi access point aimed towards the garden cover your needs? A single access point should remove the need for another wifi point in the workshop.

Maybe. It's about 20m but the house has unusually good wifi blocking!

I'll get pictures together today.

Ah - the Devolo stuff says it'll work across the circuits. Neat.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    On one of the woodworking TV programmes, a guy featured had a window at the end of his workbench. This opened at workbench height thus allowing him to work on long lengths of wood. Might be worth thinking about.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I'd considered that, but I'll have a good clear diagonal which will let me run things up to 2.5m long through the PT anyways.

So... this is the rendering of the workshop building:

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/PWrender.JPG

And this is the current layout, which looks like it'll work fairly well. Still time to tweak.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/PW7x4.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Man alive I bet you need a mortgage for that size 
    Nah - finished the house mortgage off at the beginning of the year, and we had healthy savings already at that point. This is going to take up most of the savings, but it should add about the same value to the house so it's efficient. I have all the machinery (apart from the bigger extractor) already - over the years that probably cost half of what the new workshop will.

I know what the building, groundwork and AC will cost. I have an idea on the electrics. Not sure on the machinery move though - got a nasty feeling that's going to end up brutal, in which case I'll break down most of the machinery and move it in bits, just a few things that'll never get small or light enough to do on my own. I know the tablesaw will break down into bits I can deal with, as will the pillar drill and the chopsaw. I managed the lathe on my own (not easy though). The bandsaw might, with the table and wheels removed. The planer/thicknesser definitely won't, I can't move the compressor on my own and I don't think I can shift the CNC without help. But the lack of a hard deadline helps - I can move as much as possible on my own and then just get help with the bigger stuff.
    edited September 2016
    This is the current state of the end of the garden. Photobombed by Sprockenheimer as usual. Note the subtle hint she is making by having moved her football so that she can sit next to it and look expectant.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/Before.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    m_c said:

Other option could be some dedicated point to point wifi adapters, as they can cover some serious distance with pretty good bandwidth.

Have a look at the wifi section on broadbandbuyer.co.uk as some of the stuff can cover some very large distances, and isn't that expensive as long as you don't want the latest and greatest performance. I was looking at the various options, as I could really do with internet in my workshop, but I've just not got around to deciding the best option.

Where I work we've got two offices about 500m apart. we have the network linked using line-of-sight microwave transmitter/receivers. It works well and would be a good solution for sporks, but I'm pretty sure it's a decent amount more expensive than using the powerline>cable>wifi solution mentioned earlier.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.