New workshop time (nearly there...)

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I don't need mad bandwidth in the workshop. NAS access for CAD/CAM files, Spotify and occasionally looking stuff up.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited September 2016
    Sporky said:
    This is the current state of the end of the garden. Photobombed by Sprockenheimer as usual. Note the subtle hint she is making by having moved her football so that she can sit next to it and look expectant.

Looks good to me.

No-one will ever guess that, hidden deep beneath that unassuming "shed" is the lair of a mad inventor.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sporky said:
    This is the current state of the end of the garden. Photobombed by Sprockenheimer as usual. Note the subtle hint she is making by having moved her football so that she can sit next to it and look expectant.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/Before.jpg

"He was a quiet man who kept to himself" say neighbours, shocked at the uncovering of body parts at this suburban Surrey home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

"He was a quiet man who kept to himself, unlike that arsehole dog" say neighbours, unsurprised at the uncovering of body parts at this suburban Surrey home.
    Fixed that for you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    BigMonka said:
    Where I work we've got two offices about 500m apart. we have the network linked using line-of-sight microwave transmitter/receivers. It works well and would be a good solution for sporks, but I'm pretty sure it's a decent amount more expensive than using the powerline>cable>wifi solution mentioned earlier.

A basic wifi point to point pair can be had for under £100, however for 20m, it's probably overkill.

It's most likely the walls causing the problem, so I'd be trying a better router, or looking at an extra wifi access point either sat inside a window (I'm going to hazard a guess there's either foil insulation or very thick walls killing the signal) or in the roof space, or even an external mounted access point.

The house was built in the 50s. Incredibly hard bricks, steel door frames, double-layer internal walls, steel lined chimney. I think it was meant to be bomb resistant. I think powerline and extension is probably the winning option here.
  • Sporky said:
    The house was built in the 50s. Incredibly hard bricks, steel door frames, double-layer internal walls, steel lined chimney. I think it was meant to be bomb resistant. I think powerline and extension is probably the winning option here.

I have a similar issue in my house built in 2010, the walls are so thick and have lots of insulation, even with enterprise grade Wifi access points the signal stops just outside the door. 
    Right. In theory the machinery movers will be surveying the existing workshop today.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Sounds like an amazing project Sporks. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Ta. Thus far there have been brief moments of "this is awesome!" in an overall sea of utter terror at the crass irresponsibility of spending so much money on a hobby. Which makes it feel even more important to get it as right as possible.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Yes - I can imagine being disappointed/frustrated by spending £££££ then having some niggling thing that leaves it less than perfect. 

It's your money, you've worked hard for it
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sporky said:
    TimmyO said:
    Ta. Thus far there have been brief moments of "this is awesome!" in an overall sea of utter terror at the crass irresponsibility of spending so much money on a hobby. Which makes it feel even more important to get it as right as possible.
    We moved house to accommodate my guitar building hobby/maybe-business, so I completely sympathise, Sporkster.
    Thanks chaps! I'm trying quite hard not to get into imagining an amazing new life in which I and my workshop travel the universe fighting crime and so on. But it'll be good to have all my stuff at home, so a ten minute job only takes twenty minutes, not two hours.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Sporky said:
    TimmyO said:
    We moved house to accommodate my guitar building hobby/maybe-business, so I completely sympathise, Sporkster.
    We're still progressing down a similar path, although it's primarily to accomodate my wife's hobby, so it's an entirely sensible and rational decision.

Apparently.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It certainly helps that Lady BMcH has been strongly in favour and supportive of the project.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Sporky said:
    ?.. it'll be good to have all my stuff at home, so a ten minute job only takes twenty minutes, not two hours.
    There's a lot of brownie points available when you can fix a piece of jewellery, mend furniture, or just open a jar, at a moments notice.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited September 2016
    Machinery moving chap has been - apparently this is a lovely little job (last move was a CNC machine bigger than my new workshop in every dimension).

Under a grand for all the machines and as much else as we can fit into a 7.5T, including ramps so the house doors aren't damaged. Need to build a 25mm ply ramp down from the decking to the lawn though.

So... anyone want to buy my old extraction system, pillar drill and chopsaw?
    Sporky said:

So... anyone want to buy my old extraction system,
    If we move, potentially.

What is it, and would it fit in my shed?
    It's an Axminster one - on the wall between the bandsaw and pillar drill here:

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/workshop/matting.jpg

Plus a load of 50mm duct, lots of fittings, couplers and angles. And some flexi hose.

Works well for a bandsaw or tablesaw, not quite up to a thicknesser planer (though better than no extraction).
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Sporky said:

So... anyone want to buy my old extraction system, pillar drill and chopsaw?

Which drill and saw?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.