Moss's Alternative Music Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I saw Ringo Deathstarr playing with Spc Eco at the last ever gig at the Luminaire, Kilburn. RD were so loud ((even though I was wearing my ER20s) that I had to leave. I won't damage my hearing for anyone.
     I'm pretty sure they're still going strong.
    I miss the Luminaire. Probably my favourite venue in London.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580

It's been a while since a 'post-rock' album did it for me, but the new Russian Circles album is pretty massive.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The new Glass Animals album is pretty brilliant - world and hip-hop infused indie rock

Stop crying, start buying
  • Megii said:
    It is good to see the original Shoegazers getting back together absolutely - I've always felt it was a movement that could have lasted a bit longer - for me it seemed to get pushed aside by Britpop a bit too soon. Lush is more exciting than Ride for me @Moss , although granted Ride reforming is massive also - I guess it's just that I was an obsessive Lush fan at the time, whereas Ride, although I was aware of them, is more a band I learnt to appreciate later on. I still am an obsessive Lush fan in fact - there's just something I really connect with about that band - I felt it the first time I heard them, and that's never gone away.

Yes, I did discover DIIV recently, I think just while exploring on Youtube, and indeed I really love the music, so good call there.
    Whereas I couldn't really gel with Lush but absolutely adore Ride, followed them all over the UK early 90s.

I wish Bleach would reform, bloody awesome band both live and studio, Killing Time is still one of my fave albums of all time. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    One of the best 10 albums of 2015 IM(not)HO

Always interesting

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Really enjoying the new Roosevelt album - brilliant feel-good intelligent pop

• I can't stop listening to this today after discovering the artist. It's an old track of theirs, but it's great. Struck me it might be one for you, @moss. If Wes Anderson ever gets into synths for his films, it should be this. 

Quite liking that @GavRichList ;

Maybe a little over bright on the production but some nice sounds nonetheless
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    edited September 2016
    Moss said:
    Quite liking that @GavRichList ;;

Maybe a little over bright on the production but some nice sounds nonetheless
    I get that, but it has a nostalgic eeriness to it that I'm really enjoying. Something in the vocal delivery. Couple of the chord phrasings are pretty great too. 
    This is crazy good

Guess these guys are popular but I've missed them up until now. Two things: 1) amazing video quality, and 2) what effect is he using on the last lead line to give that almost octave up ice pick effect?

• Moss - you heard of an Australian producer/musician called fascinator? 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    edited September 2016
  • Megii said:
    It is good to see the original Shoegazers getting back together absolutely - I've always felt it was a movement that could have lasted a bit longer - for me it seemed to get pushed aside by Britpop a bit too soon. Lush is more exciting than Ride for me @Moss , although granted Ride reforming is massive also - I guess it's just that I was an obsessive Lush fan at the time, whereas Ride, although I was aware of them, is more a band I learnt to appreciate later on. I still am an obsessive Lush fan in fact - there's just something I really connect with about that band - I felt it the first time I heard them, and that's never gone away.

Yes, I did discover DIIV recently, I think just while exploring on Youtube, and indeed I really love the music, so good call there.
    Whereas I couldn't really gel with Lush but absolutely adore Ride, followed them all over the UK early 90s.

I wish Bleach would reform, bloody awesome band both live and studio, Killing Time is still one of my fave albums of all time. 

Agree completely about the premature demise of many inventive and interesting bands due to Britpop, which I couldn't stand. I was really into Ride back in the day; saw them live last year which was fantastic. I never gave Lush much attention at the time, but have really got into their first three albums over the last couple of years, and love the new EP. Slowdive is another; looking forward to hearing their new music. 

Form the same era; I'm really enjoying Teenage Fanclub's new album, a real return to form.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited October 2016
    Megii said:

Agree completely about the premature demise of many inventive and interesting bands due to Britpop, which I couldn't stand. I was really into Ride back in the day; saw them live last year which was fantastic. I never gave Lush much attention at the time, but have really got into their first three albums over the last couple of years, and love the new EP. Slowdive is another; looking forward to hearing their new music. 

Form the same era; I'm really enjoying Teenage Fanclub's new album, a real return to form.

Nice one @MagicPigDetective - I have learnt to like a few Britpop things in the years since, but for me there was a really interesting time happening for music in the early 90s which did seem to get pushed out by Britpop, although probably not quite as cut and dried as I remember it. As well as the new Lush EP, I also recently got hold of the Chorus 5CD set that 4AD have put out, and I can highly recommend that, even if you have the original albums already - worth getting the set just for all the extra tracks included, and really gives some extra insight into the band and what they were/are about. I will have to check out the new Teenage Fanclub - I did use to like them a lot too. Slowdive great of course.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3012
    edited October 2016
    @Megii sounds good. Another 5 cd collection worth checking out is the 'still in a dream' collection released earlier this year, which has filled a few gaps; at the time I was a teenager in remote rural wales, a long way from a decent record shop, new almost no one into the same music and learbt about it from the NME and the radio; Going to Reading 93 blew my mind! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Dream-Story-Shoegaze-1988-1995/dp/B01891FQIW
    edited October 2016
    @Megii sounds good. Another 5 cd collection worth checking out is the 'still in a dream' collection released earlier this year, which has filled a few gaps; at the time I was a teenager in remote rural wales, a long way from a decent record shop, new almost no one into the same music and learbt about it from the NME and the radio; Going to Reading 93 blew my mind! 

My old band Fenn played at Reading 93 ;-) We were about third band on the Friday afternoon in the Peel tent, so no big shakes. We'd supported Ride at a gig in Glasgow a wee bit before that too. I absolutely agree that Brit pop seemed to kill off a lot of interesting UK bands around at the time. A lot of bands were sitting somewhere between the classic American alt rock style (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, etc) and post-punk/C86 UK styles. Thinking of bands like Swervedriver and Bivoauc (who both played Reading 93). Next thing we knew it was feckin Elastica, Blur and Oasis - and the death of indie...

And as for Teenage Fanclub - I'm a long standing fan having been around and about Glasgow at the same time. Their new album doesn't really do much for me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited October 2016

That does look like a nice cd set overview to have @MagicPigDetective - I guess I will just have to add it to my want list for now, as I've been spending my pocket money on pedals lately. Reading 93 must be a great memory. I was in my later twenties at the time myself, although living a totally irresponsible existence and lacking any direction. D But now when I look back with hindsight, I can see it was also a great time during which I did get into some great music.
    ewal said:

My old band Fenn played at Reading 93 ;-) We were about third band on the Friday afternoon in the Peel tent, so no big shakes. We'd supported Ride at a gig in Glasgow a wee bit before that too. I absolutely agree that Brit pop seemed to kill off a lot of interesting UK bands around at the time. A lot of bands were sitting somewhere between the classic American alt rock style (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, etc) and post-punk/C86 UK styles. Thinking of bands like Swervedriver and Bivoauc (who both played Reading 93). Next thing we knew it was feckin Elastica, Blur and Oasis - and the death of indie...

And as for Teenage Fanclub - I'm a long standing fan having been around and about Glasgow at the same time. Their new album doesn't really do much for me.

I think one thing I liked about the early 90s music scene was that bands were so creative, and coming up with music that really had meaning and atmosphere. Kind of reaching out into new territory as it were. For me, Britpop seemed like an annoying retreat into this laddish narrow kind of focus that I found pretty boring and predictable. I'll never be a massive fan of it, but as I said earlier, probably a bit unfair to blame it for everything, and there are a few things I can now feel a bit of nostalgia for. I was/am into some of the US alt rock stuff you mention also, and I would add to that some of the Boston bands that were on the go at the time - Pixies, Throwing Muses, Belly, Lemonheads, Juliana Hatfield and all that kind of stuff.

Amazing to be in a band at Reading 93 btw, wow! :)
  • Megii said:

That does look like a nice cd set overview to have @MagicPigDetective - I guess I will just have to add it to my want list for now, as I've been spending my pocket money on pedals lately. Reading 93 must be a great memory. I was in my later twenties at the time myself, although living a totally irresponsible existence and lacking any direction. D But now when I look back with hindsight, I can see it was also a great time during which I did get into some great music.
    ewal said:

I think one thing I liked about the early 90s music scene was that bands were so creative, and coming up with music that really had meaning and atmosphere. Kind of reaching out into new territory as it were. For me, Britpop seemed like an annoying retreat into this laddish narrow kind of focus that I found pretty boring and predictable. I'll never be a massive fan of it, but as I said earlier, probably a bit unfair to blame it for everything, and there are a few things I can now feel a bit of nostalgia for. I was/am into some of the US alt rock stuff you mention also, and I would add to that some of the Boston bands that were on the go at the time - Pixies, Throwing Muses, Belly, Lemonheads, Juliana Hatfield and all that kind of stuff.

Amazing to be in a band at Reading 93 btw, wow! :)
    Very cool @ewal! I bet you have some tales to tell  ;-) Swervedriver were awesome at Reading 93. I had never even been to a gig before that! I still count RATM's friday night set as one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I went back to Reading 94, 95 and 96, saw so many classic bands.

@Magii you put it well. Yes the death of indie was a shame. It was a great period in music, a metling pot of influences, also people pushing boundaries with sound and guitar effects e.e MBV. It was also sad to see bands I liked such as the Boo Radleys and Verve go "britpop". The pity then was that record labels dropped any band that did not sound britpop, or that would not change, and the music press in cahoots creating new scences (after destroying the previous ones) to sell papers, backing britpop as a laddish, anti american movement, which to me was devoid of any musical merit or invention. Luke Haines's book 'Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall' is a great read about this period. Only a few could survived with credit, Teenage Fanclub being one, also the Manics.  I always liked the american alt roack bands of the time, and did then get more into american alt rock/grunge/metal bands like helmet, dinosaur jr, melvins, soundgarden, janes addiction, then post rock etc