That dude Andy from pro guitar shop

What's Hot

Comments

• Have you not heard of Rob Chapman ;-)
    Yes, he can make almost anything sound crap...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    edited November 2016
    juansolo said:
    Just Nick is the man. Good demos and articulates stuff well that doesn't come over great in the demo.

PGS Andy is awesome, but makes everything, and I mean everything sound awesome... Even a Rainbow Machine FFS. But that's his job so you can't exactly hold it against him.

Burgs was a big favorite of mine until he went commercial. I just don't trust any demo's that are paid for, for obvious reasons. Despite the fact I really like the dude's style.
    +1 for Just Nick. When he talks, he actually has something interesting to say that is pertinent to the pedal being demo'd and gives reasons for his opinions.

Burgs is a great player but now makes everything sound great.  Same with Mike Hermans - I watch their demos but I'm always a bit dubious about how marvellous they always sound.

Greg Koch is entertaining, Pete Thorn is a bit too serious, and Rob Chapman is now a bit boring and I'm not a fan of his playing style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I've learnt a few tunes the proper way off his videos...example...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    andyoz said:
    I've learnt a few tunes the proper way off his videos...example...

I have too and i've always known the main riff from Message in a Bottle (MIAB?) but never really known the chords after it or the variations he shows in that lesson.

Thanks for posting that.
    I am constantly amazed at how accurately he plays everything he records and how he really nails the sounds he trying to recreate.

Dream Job.
  • eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
    edited January 2017
    I really like Andy's videos. 
    He comes across really well, with great feel and professional attitude. They are really well filmed and you really get to hear the tones of the guitars. He helps to show them in their best light. 

As as some one mentioned Rob Chapman, I'm sorry to to say I have become really bored with Rob Chapman's playing on the Andertons and YouTube videos over the last 3+ years. Am I allowed to say that? 

I have become bored with the consistent  shredding and not playing any different genres that may work better with the type of guitars he is demoing. 

If it's a shredders guitar then fine as that is the market it is aimed at. But that's a limited market, a bit like the old hot hatch boy racer days, been there done that. You grow out of it eventually, although some don't and it's all a bit odd to see a 30 - 60 year old still trying around in a not hatch. 

Another thing that I have grown bored with or puts me off is the 'I own a guitar company' line which he loves to throw in when he can.  It just comes across as very smug, like the kid in the playground boasting about his father's big or fast whatever. I just cringe when I hear it now. 

From a business perspective if I owned a guitar company I wouldn't be out there demoing and promoting other companies guitars. You don't or didn't see Paul Reed Smith etc out there playing, endorsing and promoting other manufacturers guitars. Business is business. 

There's a big difference between specifying, buying, and distributing consignments of guitars to employing, designing and manufacturing them with your own factory. 

This is is nothing personal against Rob, I understand he is a very nice guy but I am just offering my own opinion(s) which only matters to me really. I just wonder how many others have found the same thing over time.

Back to the demos at at the end of the day it all comes down to the perspectives of the audience or market, and 'there is no accounting for taste'. 

Sorry if if I am coming across a bit grumpy
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2017
    I love Just Nick's demos because he discusses everything right down to the final detail, which appeals to the autistic anal-retentiveness in me. The Nobs demos are great also. Speaking of nobs, Chapman's general wankery and smugness irritates me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I want to know where Andy gets those invisible plectrums.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I love the fact that we have a review for Andy from PGS.

Can't help feeling it should go in "Other reviews" though ...
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    I tend to watch a range of video reviews and also check written reviews. The professional reviewers know: how to play, what to play, how to set up the kit properly, and sometimes have other devices in the equipment chain. (I saw one Overdrive review where the professional, surprisingly, admitted using an attenuator and allowing him to drive the amp harder). I also find it useful to watch non-professional reviews as these tend to show what the kit could sound like.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

In a way yes, but until any of them could do a slapback delay or sound like a Big Muff through a POG purely on technique alone, there will always be a need for pedals (and demos thereof)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited April 2017
    Nah, it's all in the fingers man ... (at 37:39)

• What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

I love checking out Boss demos by these guys and everyone is like, "WOW! How did you get it to sound so good? What are your settings? Are they modded?" 

Whereas on a newer, hand made pedal video by them everyone is just like, "wow, that *pedal* sounds so much better than <previous best sounding pedal>. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Electro-Harmonix demonstrator, Bill Ruppert, is another complete mutha. 

Let's face it. It is the job of these demonstrators to instil the desire to purchase into us - the potential customers. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

PGS Andy's videos are always worth a watch, but only if you're wealthy enough to buy everything he demos :(

I looked at one Earthquaker Devices pedal for fun (Acapulco Gold) because I knew full well I didn't want, or need it.

Now I do, plus half a dozen other EQD pedals I saw before I managed to close YouTube down.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • AxeInsightAxeInsight Frets: 17
    edited September 2017
    I've seen a few of Andy's videos a while ago, and his playing is pretty sharp and versatile, so I guess he wasn't wrong in his career choice because that's kinda what you need in order to be a good demonstrator.

Max

Edit: Actually I remember the wrong guy, the guy who's playing was pretty good was the other PGS demonstrator,Scotty I think his name is.
  • Watching Andy taught me to loosen up and get back to learning song by ear. He can jam out just about anything, love watching his videos.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I liked it when Andy used to point at the pedals.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    There's also Joel from Chicago Music Exchange:

e.g. this one from 5min on.

or 

I tend to like the kinds of things he plays.