Show me your synths!

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
edited October 2016 in Other Instruments
I appreciate this is a guitar forum, but my incoming Obie is perfectly in keeping with my current GAS. I know some of you are of a similar perversion, and I suspect they're are some holy grails lurking on here...would love to see em. 

My collection appears to be showing no signs of slowing; in fact I now have more synths than guitars. One from each of the major food-groups, I have a Sequential Prophet 6, a Moog Sub 37, and the incoming Oberheim Matrix 1000. Would obviously love an OB-Xa, but id need a well heeled relative to die for one of those. 

Anyhow, what have you? All this talk of Cheetah MS6s has me wondering.... 

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/9A3ACF6C-CEB0-4B71-961F-1D595ED3CE4A.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/B1BD1D74-614C-489A-821A-922BC9E0EAFE.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/Mobile Uploads/B1454FF3-1B30-4D04-A112-2D9C1F2CD17B.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5381
    edited October 2016
    I've got a Yamaha CS2X. It's a virtual analogue synth and a great bit of kit but I've never really gotten to grips with playing keys.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Yamaha_CS2x_synthesizer.jpg

• Oh I can't really play for shit, but I can build sounds
  • Here's a few old pics which show most of what I used to have:

Skull on a stick because, er, um,.........

The Omni Mk II being repaired. The synth section never worked properly, which is why I paid £79 for it. It ended up being a piece of unmelted solder that had gone through a component hole and was shorting out against the can of a transistor. It must have left the factory like it!

Finally, back when I had a stupid amount of rack gear. Much of it has gone now, and there are just two rack units left.
     On the rightmost rack, there's an Akai S950 sampler (now gone, and I kinda regret it), Emu Proteus 2000 and Cheetah MS6. I also used to have a Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine, which was basically a TB-303 in a rack.

The MS-10, D-50, SH-09, Prodigy are long gone now. I also used to have an SH-101, which I traded in against my white Jazzmaster. Of all the synths I've owned, the 101 was one of my favourites and I often regret parting with it.

An old friend had a collection of synths, but nowhere to keep them, so he'd usually drop them off at my house (Actually my old house: I had a much  music bigger room then) so I had full-time access to them. He had an ARP Odyssey Mk III, ARP Avatar, Korg MS-20, Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-101, Roland SH-5 (what a beauty!), Oberheim Matrix 6R, Sequential Circuits Pro One and Yamaha CS40M. It was actually overwhelming having so much stuff in the house!

These days, only the white Odyssey, Omni II, MS6, Proteus 2000, Jupiter 6 and CS60 remain. The Odyssey I bought broken and still needs repairing (it's a long story!). The Odyssey and CS60, once serviced, will be put up for sale, as I'll need the money to help fund a house move.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Holy shit look at those racks ! 
  • The Jupiter and CS60 though... wow. Isn't the latter Vangelis' tipple of choice?
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I have a Roland Lucina AX9 which I take to gigs when I don't have a keyboard player. Once in a blue moon I play it keytar-style, like I did at this jam the day after I got it...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Waiting for @goldtop to get involved here... 

• Wow!!!! Some incredible gear there - how did you ever get out of the house???

Do you still have the Roland space echo? What is the connectivity like on one of those? I'd love one.....
  • Truth is, I didn't get out of the house very often! 
    The Space Echo went a few years ago. I loved it, but it was worth too much money for me to justify keeping it. I make do with the Soundtoys Echoboy plugin these days.
    Although the Space Echo sounded great on guitar, i thought it sounded even better on synths. IIRC it had mic, instrument and line level inputs plus a lo/med/hi pad switch.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • @lasermonkey that CS is worth some cash, no? Only one I've seen listed was over £4000!
  • Truth is, I didn't get out of the house very often! 
    The Space Echo went a few years ago. I loved it, but it was worth too much money for me to justify keeping it. I make do with the Soundtoys Echoboy plugin these days.
    Although the Space Echo sounded great on guitar, i thought it sounded even better on synths. IIRC it had mic, instrument and line level inputs plus a lo/med/hi pad switch.

some amazing gear lasermonkey.....Roland have brought out a pedal based on the RE 201 I believe. I wonder how they compare...... I believe the Akai S950 was behind one of my favourite ever records - Screamadelica.

What sort of stuff did you make Mr Monkey?

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Some lovely stuff in this thread. Would love to hear that CS and JP6, especially. I haven't got any proper pictures, as I'm waiting for a builder to come and do my modest studio. But once he does, I'll update here. A few new things have arrived... but there will be about 30U of rackspace to fill :-/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Here's mine. From the top:
    Casio Digital Horn
    Korg Prophecy
    Korg MS2000B
    Yamaha SY85
    Moog Theremini
    Korg Monotron Delay
    Korg Microkorg XL+

Nothing vintage in my collection (apart from the Casio Digital Horn!) and it seems to be very Korg-heavy for some reason.

Over the years I have had two Korg MS-10 (why did I sell those? Oh yeah, skint!), a Roland SH101 plus a Casio CZ5000, Yamaha DX7 (why did I sell that?!) and Yamaha SY35. I almost got my hands on a EMS AKS Synthi (my dream synth), but the guy kept upping the price; very annoying as he found it in a skip and couldn't play it anyway. Grrr!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @dogload very nice! Korg should be sending you a gold carriage clock any day now! Was watching Polysix videos this morning owing to my current fascination with the S U R V I V E album.... niiiice. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @dogload very nice! Korg should be sending you a gold carriage clock any day now! Was watching Polysix videos this morning owing to my current fascination with the S U R V I V E album.... niiiice. 
    Ha! I must admit I made a conscious effort not to buy a Minilogue because it would mean another Korg in the collection. 
    Many years ago Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester had a PolySix for a couple of hundred quid that i couldn't afford on my dole money... sigh. It didn't stop me going in to fiddle around on it though. Mind you. I'd have had to get it back home on National Express, which would have been interesting to say the least
  • I fear that more of my money will vanish down the hole marked synth over the years to come
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Nice to see a space that's as haphazard as mine (no offence). Er... you seem to have an awful lot of wah/volume pedals. How many feet do you have? ;)
    goldtop said:
    Nice to see a space that's as haphazard as mine (no offence). Er... you seem to have an awful lot of wah/volume pedals. How many feet do you have? ;)
    Just under six feet :)

Heh, yeah. I need things within arms reach!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited November 2016
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>