Pictures of you live

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Quite a fast 54-46. One of those songs that , I think, a lot of people don't know but everyone into ska does.

Here's a few video's that have come out of a gig we did in August. The guitars to low in the mix - but then again it always is isn't it!

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite a fast 54-46. One of those songs that , I think, a lot of people don't know but everyone into ska does.

Both are too quick imo Eric. We are severely limited by our drummer who has absolutely zero natural feel or technique. We play 54 - 46 in a really flat unfunky 4 -4, when it'd sound brilliant with a one drop beat as on the record..... but hey ho - the drummer started the band, is a lovely bloke and is super enthusiastic, organises all the gigs, facebook, rehearsals etc. so we just have to make do.....

In my old ska band we changed drummer. On the surface much more technically competent but no feel for a one drop, used to make our bassist explode with rage ( who plays in a band with Aitch, the original drummer from The Selecter, now so hopefully he's a bit calmer).
    Some bands play all these things fast ( our keyboardist deps in a band where they play everything at break neck speed and they play much bigger gigs than us) but, to me, the 60s stuff had a groove and that's what I like. 
  • In my old ska band we changed drummer. On the surface much more technically competent but no feel for a one drop, used to make our bassist explode with rage ( who plays in a band with Aitch, the original drummer from The Selecter, now so hopefully he's a bit calmer).
    Some bands play all these things fast ( our keyboardist deps in a band where they play everything at break neck speed and they play much bigger gigs than us) but, to me, the 60s stuff had a groove and that's what I like. 

You got to have feel and groove, its everything, particularly if your not playing rock or metal.... and your right - that doesn't necessarily equate to technical ability. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't even have the one drop in his locker. His limitations are incredibly frustrating, especially because I believe a band can only really be as good as its drummer. But a change isn't in the offing..... he is a founder member and I am not sure I'd be in a band where we got rid of people because of a lack of ability and he is the driving force of the band in lots of ways - a real enthusiast.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027

I have a sparkly midnight blue RG!
    Normally looks black.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Nice pose Grun :)

Here's a snap from Saturdays wedding. Same band, same songs but an extra £150 each means we will wear suits :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 909
    In my old ska band we changed drummer. On the surface much more technically competent but no feel for a one drop, used to make our bassist explode with rage ( who plays in a band with Aitch, the original drummer from The Selecter, now so hopefully he's a bit calmer).

You got to have feel and groove, its everything, particularly if your not playing rock or metal.... and your right - that doesn't necessarily equate to technical ability. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't even have the one drop in his locker. His limitations are incredibly frustrating, especially because I believe a band can only really be as good as its drummer. But a change isn't in the offing..... he is a founder member and I am not sure I'd be in a band where we got rid of people because of a lack of ability and he is the driving force of the band in lots of ways - a real enthusiast.
    One drop is all about feel... @Placidcasual79 you're drummer does sound like he's attempting a one drop on 54-46... he's accenting the 3rd beat in the bar albeit in a very quick version.... but I have said this to members of our band...you can have the most technical musicians but put them in a ska or reggae band and although they may play it technically correctly... if they don't feel it it doesn't sound right.
    Our band has just changed drummers and it is a long process getting the sound right with new members.... and don't even get me started on trying to find a new keyboard player...!!...there are no ska / reggae keys players about.

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • skaguitar said:

One drop is all about feel... @Placidcasual79 you're drummer does sound like he's attempting a one drop on 54-46... he's accenting the 3rd beat in the bar albeit in a very quick version.... but I have said this to members of our band...you can have the most technical musicians but put them in a ska or reggae band and although they may play it technically correctly... if they don't feel it it doesn't sound right.
    Our band has just changed drummers and it is a long process getting the sound right with new members.... and don't even get me started on trying to find a new keyboard player...!!...there are no ska / reggae keys players about.

I am a drummer so perhaps its extra frustrating for me. Unfortunately for us he doesn't know what a one drop is - the beat he plays is flat - two on the kick one on the snare - we will rock you style, with the hi hat in 4-4 time. Aside from that he's always fast and lacks feel.....

Were lucky in that we actually have a great keyboard player but now we have lost of bass player and trumpeter.....

I really enjoy watching your band on youtube. We've watched clips of your group as something to aim for!!!  

skaguitar said:

I am a drummer so perhaps its extra frustrating for me. Unfortunately for us he doesn't know what a one drop is - the beat he plays is flat - two on the kick one on the snare - we will rock you style, with the hi hat in 4-4 time. Aside from that he's always fast and lacks feel.....

Were lucky in that we actually have a great keyboard player but now we have lost of bass player and trumpeter.....

I really enjoy watching your band on youtube. We've watched clips of your group as something to aim for!!!  

He seems better on the 2 tone stuff..?... do you think if you were to say something to him he might take it on board and try to get it..?

We did have a great keyboard player but he's leaving us soon and we're struggling to find a replacement.... but he's being really helpful and playing gigs with us until we find someone.

Thanks for the compliment on the you tube clips.... your band sounds good :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • skaguitar said:

He seems better on the 2 tone stuff..?... do you think if you were to say something to him he might take it on board and try to get it..?

We did have a great keyboard player but he's leaving us soon and we're struggling to find a replacement.... but he's being really helpful and playing gigs with us until we find someone.

Thanks for the compliment on the you tube clips.... your band sounds good :)

Now worries mate - your band are great, really tight. I love the tone you get from your guitar and it looks like you do some really good gigs.

.Its difficult with our drummer. I've been playing with him for nearly two years - the others closer to three. Must've told him to slow down a million times, played him videos etc..... he doesn't get stroppy or anything and will attempt to address it. That might last a song or two, four at best!

There is only so much you can do about his other short comings - in various bits of songs we've told him what to play or what not to play, sometimes he can change, sometimes he just plain doesn't get it. He has never been able to play the intro to lip up fatty for example and never will! I showed him the one drop - he totally didn't get it. He is a lovely fella and there is only so much you can do - you cant polish a turd eh?

we've been lucky and landed some good gigs and I'm terrible for using different guitars all the time...whichever one I fancy playing that night..!...my one constant is my amp so tone must be in that and not my guitars eh..?

so it seems your drummer is set in his ways...ah well...at least you've tried.....as long as you're enjoying playing still..that's the main thing.

Can't you take over drum duties and he learn guitar..??.. ;)
  • skaguitar said:
    we've been lucky and landed some good gigs and I'm terrible for using different guitars all the time...whichever one I fancy playing that night..!...my one constant is my amp so tone must be in that and not my guitars eh..?

so it seems your drummer is set in his ways...ah well...at least you've tried.....as long as you're enjoying playing still..that's the main thing.

Can't you take over drum duties and he learn guitar..??..

I get on his drums every chance I get!!

I got really frustrated by his limitations after I'd been in the band for 6 months or so, but I've let it go. For me its just a bit of fun - the gigs are enjoyable and seem to go well. I make my own music at home which is my real passion.

Quick question if you don't mind....what are you aiming for when your thinking about your tone?
    skaguitar said:

Can't you take over drum duties and he learn guitar..??..

I get on his drums every chance I get!!

I got really frustrated by his limitations after I'd been in the band for 6 months or so, but I've let it go. For me its just a bit of fun - the gigs are enjoyable and seem to go well. I make my own music at home which is my real passion.

Quick question if you don't mind....what are you aiming for when your thinking about your tone?
    Ska is great fun to play and because it's essentially dance music it always gets everyone up at gigs.

Tone wise I aim for a nice clean sound.... I don't use any pedals...just my guitar and amp.

The people I listen to and try to emulate are Jay Nugent of The Slackers...love his tone...all the old trojan sounds...Ernest Ranglin ..and on the reggae side of things Peter Tosh and Junior Marvin and Al Anderson who all played with Bob Marley.

I aim to get a really good clean sound with little to no crunch at all...bit of reverb and that's it....I just want to cut through the band....and we mic everything up for every gig which helps.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Back from holiday in Inverness where there was so little signal! Did a gig the night before I left to drive up there with the family and just got some pics posted by a photographer who came to get some shots of us. She sent a preview but is putting up an album of shots soon.

Looking a bit introspective here but the Suhr looks lovely :)

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974

Here's some footage from a couple of weeks back.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    One from Friday night, first outing with the Axis Super Sport Rosewood and it felt and sounded awesome.
    Also my new Ethos strap, a present from my work colleagues last week for my 50th.

#thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Does that work? Thursday night, I look very interested in my right hand for some reason. 
  • Last night's Halloween Gig was a bit mental.

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom