Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Digital mixing desks

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Danny1969 said:
    What's the quality of  the compressors and the main effects like with the X18 ?
    First impressions are good - there isn't a huge selection but plenty of the obvious choices.   I'll experiment over the next few gigs and report back.   I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they are the same on all of the Behr dig desks so the x18 has the same as the x32.      Easily as good or better than cheap rack gear or the built in fx on analogue desks I'm used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited November 2016
    For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.

I don't have the android app but on the iPad, it is the routing page,  and called In/Out on the mac version,   there will be a grid to tick a box match the output with the particular channel/bus/fx send etc.      This caught me out at the weekend when I was trying to tick several channels for the aux out instead choosing a bus. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2016
    For the A&H, I found the Android inferior to the iPad app.  Android seems to get less attention from the desk manufacturers
  • John_P said:
    For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.

I don't have the android app but on the iPad, it is the routing page,  and called In/Out on the mac version,   there will be a grid to tick a box match the output with the particular channel/bus/fx send etc.      This caught me out at the weekend when I was trying to tick several channels for the aux out instead choosing a bus. 
    Do you then get a vol fader for the fx bus on the relevant aux?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    John_P said:

Do you then get a vol fader for the fx bus on the relevant aux?
    Yes then go to either that channel page and turn the send for that bus or or the iPad version there is a mixer type screen showing all the sends for the bus as a series of faders you can check by hitting the button for that bus on the right.  
    edited November 2016
    Is anyone else using one of these as a mixing desk and their DAW 'soundcard'?

Just noticed the QU-SB is down to £809 here so makes the XR18 versus QU-SB decision that bit harder.  Both amazing units for the £££  http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Allen-and-Heath-QU-SB-Portable-Remote-Controlled-Digital-Mixer/1JBA
  • Something else impressed me on the last gig - has a spare iPad in case the other one ran out of num-nums. Halfway through second set I fired up the second one and it took over seamlessly with no glitch or lag... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    We as a band have just bought a Mackie DL32R which gives us all control of our IEM mixes via Iphones/pads whatever..apparently (according to the singer who gave us the full-on salesman talk)

Will be handy if that is the case as I'm always struggling to get my IEM mix right and as we don't have the luxury of a soundman then I'm in charge of my own destiny.

Sounds interesting too with the saved setlists/settings for different venues - we have numerous set-ups - electric backline, direct FOH etc for different venues so should be a breeze in that respect.

We'll see...
    edited November 2016
    I think they are great as long as you don't have to react really fast in a live mixing situation.  Easy to get mixed up exactly what 'page' you are on but they a no brainer for bands that tend to set and forget once they get their head around a certain venue and lineup.
  • Presonus. Really good...well the one i use is
    Presonus. Really good...well the one i use is
    This one?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
     Not a huge fan of the studioLive 16:4:2 I  use but then again this is a fairly early studio live desk with no native support for wireless mixing ... you have to connect a laptop to mine and run a third party piece of software in order to do.
     Also there is no  motorised faders  on mine so everything is shown via rotary encoder ... So  looks like my first digital mixing desk from Tonka toys :) 

More hassles with a surfaceless desk on Saturday night, another Mackie  DL1608 ...  Kept losing sync for some reason so ended up swapping it for a QU16  minutes before showtime.  Starting to lose faith with that  complete system expect another QU 16 will be on the cards shortly for that band 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Quick question about digital mixers, the Behringer XR16 in particular.  If you lose wifi mid gig, will all your settings just stay as they were?  Don't really do much fiddling during the gig after initial set-up.  If it resets and throws a wobbler that would be an issue
    Yes and my x18 did just that last night,  7th gig I've used but the first with a sound guy out front.    
     Must have been something in the venue as it lost connection when I was handing it over to him (I did the sound check) and he said it happened a couple of times while we were playing.  
    He just had to wait for it to find the connection again but we had no idea and the sound was fine.
    edited December 2016
    Even if you switch the unit off and on again it remembers the last settings.

• If you use a £30 external router you shouldn't get any WiFi issues.
  • I've just got a Soundcraft ui12.....bassist in our band has an xr12....in my opinion, the Soundcraft is a real step up in terms of sound. The reverbs etc are very nice on it. However, last night the sound on the ui12 completely cut out (is in IEM mixes, FOH sound, the lot) 3 separate times, for around 5 seconds per time! Wwe've been using the behringer for around 12 months and that has been absolutely rock solid-zero issues whatsoever.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Well I bought the Behringer XR16 and I'm really impressed.  The Android app is much better than the apple one IMO 
    edited December 2016
    I think Behringer are killing it ATM.  I pity anyone trying to compete with them.