SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Finding other musicians in London - is it really such a desert?

What's Hot
If you compare listings on public sites like Craigslist on smaller american cities  to the equivalents in London such as GumTree or StarNow - it would appear that London is completely bereft of musicians looking to connect to make music. 

I can't imagine this is the case, and there is some other method that people are using - but for someone who didn't go to a music college, works full time and hasn't got much interest in acoustic-guitar-roundtable it seems almost impossible.

I would really appreciate any advice on the matter, even if it's "post here!"

Thanks,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    hate the acoustic merry-go-round too, and I don't do jam nights...

You have to persist by getting out there to see music in odd places and talking to people. Down here, there can be scenes all around which are weirdly invisible. About 10 years ago I lucked into meeting a pool of local South London players via a bass dep I took on for just six months and today I'm still playing in several different bands that spun off from that. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Go to gigs and network, abandon the internet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Joinmyband is fairly active.

the problem with the London music scene though is its full of nobbers who think just being in London(INDUSTRY CONNECTIONS) is a shortcut to a fictitious record deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Network by going to shows!... and jam nights if they suit your style.
  • I have some friends who were very keen players in local bands, moved to London with work, tried to get things going there and ended up giving up because they weren't enjoying it.  The main problem they complained about was transportation.  With band members living in different parts of the city, gigs spread around  a large area and big city traffic they ended up spending so much time getting to and from rehearsals and gigs that it wasn't fun anymore.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I've no idea what you're complaining about, OP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsesngmWAAAohgh.jpg

20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice chaps, I guess I need to do more face-to-face, and maybe joinmyband :) 
  • Facebook groups can be good too! However I agree entirely about the 'nobbers' comment above.
  • KKJale said:
    I hate the acoustic merry-go-round too, and I don't do jam nights...

You have to persist by getting out there to see music in odd places and talking to people. Down here, there can be scenes all around which are weirdly invisible. About 10 years ago I lucked into meeting a pool of local South London players via a bass dep I took on for just six months and today I'm still playing in several different bands that spun off from that. 
    I don't live in London but the invisible scene thing rings true, there are lots of styles which barely register on the public perception yet give bands steady work. Start digging into a particular scene ( maan...)even jut via facebook and find people interested in doing that or they'll advertise for someone. Just as a for example I'm on Mod groups on Facebook and if I was putting together a Mod tribute band I'd probably start there rather than musician's sites.

I think the other thing is that musicians invariably want to avoid doing stuff so if you become the person who does the stuff they don't like - book rehearsal rooms, gigs, ads, PA,etc - then you can suddenly be in demand. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DLM said:

I've no idea what you're complaining about, OP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsesngmWAAAohgh.jpg

This is the best thing I have found on FB.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I'm amazed any musicians can afford to live in London. How do you pay for gear after rent and transport?!  ;)
    bbill335 said:
    I'm amazed any musicians can afford to live in London. How do you pay for gear after rent and transport?!  ;)
    Musician =/= living exclusively off music
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    bbill335 said:
    People generally have a source of income outside music, are teaching music or previously worked on albums that generate royalties.
    Sometimes all 3.

For most people though music has become an expensive hobby, rather than a job.
    Once marriage/kids/mortgage happens the activity tends to tail off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    If you compare listings on public sites like Craigslist on smaller american cities  to the equivalents in London such as GumTree or StarNow - it would appear that London is completely bereft of musicians looking to connect to make music. 

I can't imagine this is the case, and there is some other method that people are using - but for someone who didn't go to a music college, works full time and hasn't got much interest in acoustic-guitar-roundtable it seems almost impossible.

I would really appreciate any advice on the matter, even if it's "post here!"

Thanks,
    I suspect a lot of the 'forward' american people seem better than they are, whereas English people seem a little more reserved in terms of adverts. In a city of millions you've got to be looking in the wrong places. Out in the sticks here the oportunities to gig are fractional by comparison.
    Network and the network some more, it all comes around in time.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • jam nights, open mics, shows, you dont necessarily have to get up and play (but it helps) 80% of bands I gig with I've met through getting up at a jam, or general networking at gigs, not specifically london, but I think the same applies :)
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    bbill335 said:
    The 9-5 pays for the 24/7
  • Thanks for the advice chaps, I guess I need to do more face-to-face, and maybe joinmyband :) 
    What kinda thing are you looking to do? ;-)
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited December 2016
    I've played around with people in london, you can find some bands or people willing to jam if you look a bit in forums, gumtree, joinmyband, etc. Or if you actually start interacting with people at gigs.

However in my case I found I can no longer support bands that operate in a regime of dictatorship, over ambitious aspirations, people with completely different taste that just don't combine and yet persist on playing together, egos, lack of dedication (my own, or from the other people), the ridiculous prices charged for shitty rehearsal rooms, carrying guitars in the tube, etc etc

The list goes on... it's no one's fault, I'm just too old for that shit. I love playing with people, when it sounds right it's an amazing feeling, never had it click over here in London though.
    What kinda thing are you looking to do? ;-)
    Experimental -> Hard Rock -> Jazz standards -> Just having a beer over an hour or two of jamming