Chord Of The Week 11/1/14 - Moveable Minor Triad Chords

bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
Formula 1 b3 5, eg in the key of Am a c e. 
There are moveable minor triad chords based on all 5 CAGED shapes, although the Cshape minor triad chord takes me so long to set up it's not really practical. However it's useful to have for reference as a basis for partial chords.

Dbm (Cshape) - x42124 (wrap your thumb round the bottom 2 strings)
Dbm (Ashape) - x46654
Dbm (Gshape) - 9x6999
Dbm (Eshape) - 9 11 11 9 9 9
Dbm (Dshape) - x x 11 13 14 12

What are your favourite moveable minor triad shapes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    For the c shaped Db minor, I let the top E ring open.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited January 2014
    viz said:
    For the c shaped Db minor, I let the top E ring open.

Surely a Db minor add 9 ?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I reckon not - the open E is an add 9 on a D minor; for Db minor, open E is the minor 3rd.
    So I'm talking x 4 2 1 2 0
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    I reckon not - the open E is an add 9 on a D minor; for Db minor, open E is the minor 3rd.
    So I'm talking x 4 2 1 2 0

Yeah, my mistake, I was still in Dm, which is the saddest of all keys....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Cross between mozart and bach.
  • This thread is relevant. 

I tried making a nice clean sounding thing using the third, root, third on the A, G and B strings.  They're an interesting sound, but a bass guitar really needs to have the root and/or fifth on the bottom or it just sounds a bit hollow and weird.  The progression was e minor (so on the A G and B strings respectively, 10, 9, 8) A minor (same shape starting at the 15th fret on the a string), G major (14, 12, 12) and D major (9, 7, 7).  

I'll use the shapes in this thread to get the fifth in and maybe help fill the sound out a bit more, as well as keeping the chordal sound when adding embellishments.