The Damned

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've seen them a few times over the years, have always been pretty entertaining. Don't listen to them much at home though although I do like the Naz Nomad and The Nightmares album, always had a soft spot for the Nuggets type garage punk stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    I like NN too, unsurprisingly.
    And..my tickets arrived today. 11 months early. Hope I don't lose the buggers!
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited November 2016
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    I've seen them nearly 90 times over the years.  I've got tickets for the Wolverhampton gig.  I'm taking my daughter to her first Damned gig :)

They're spectacular live.  One of the tightest live acts out there.  Been a fan since my teenage years...
    I've even jammed with Sensible.  Top bloke. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ wow, 90?!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Nice one Viz! (impressive stuff Marlin) I see Capt's back to using an SG, must've got some more Happy Talk cash rolling in  =)

I've got Weymouth on 2 December to look forward to. Set list looks good, I like the DDD intro.
    edited November 2016
    You're going to love it Mr. Deadman, especially if the Weymouth venue is small and intimate - that really made the Cambridge one special. We were literally chatting with them throughout the set. They fairly rattled through DDD, and it was great, really tight and powerful; NNN and NR were just amazing. But it started to open up and breathe from Street of Dreams, and their musicality got a chance to shine through. Vanian's and Sensible's voices are amazing. And they look about 30 years old. 

Oh, our support act was Urban Dogs with Charlie Harper and Alvin Gibbs - they were very personal, a lot of fun and also really tight. Hope they are at Weymouth too. 
    I've no doubt they will be Viz. They've been 'good' for a long time now with this established line up. Weymouth is going to be a fair size but no matter. I always get up front.
    Charlie Harper of UK Subs? That's a bonus.
    Can't wait now, we're making a day of it (got a nice sea view hotel) and the drinking will start early!
    edited November 2016
    ^ awse. I'm still buzzing, as is my ear. 
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    My mate was in them for a short period in the very early eighties!
    Paul Scott on keyboards.

Paul was classically trained on piano and was in a punk band who were supporting the Damned on a tour, Captain Sensible heard him playing piano in a hotel lobby and got in touch with him after the tour asking him if he was interested in joining them.

He was 16 and a huge Damned fan too.

I remember Paul appearing on TOTP - they painted a blue lightening bolt across his face!!

He had a ball but didn't earn a carrot out of it - got a few good stories though - spending time partyng with Motorhead etc.

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Wasn't he on keys in the Eloise era? If it's who I'm thinking of he played keys on Phantasmagoria album. There'll be some footage of him somewhere. Grimly fiendish/Shadow of love on OGWT most likely if that's him. 1985/6. 
    Edit: actually that was a rather fetching looking girl I think. I can picture him but can't recall from where/when.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    My boss knows Dave Vanian. He's been round his house for snacks! Their daughters are the same age and go to the same school apparently.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Deadman said:
    Wasn't he on keys in the Eloise era? If it's who I'm thinking of he played keys on Phantasmagoria album. There'll be some footage of him somewhere. Grimly fiendish/Shadow of love on OGWT most likely if that's him. 1985/6. 
    Edit: actually that was a rather fetching looking girl I think. I can picture him but can't recall from where/when.
    I'm not that sure he whether he was on any recordings at all actually - I think he was only with them for a short time and I'm pretty sure it was either late '79 or early 80's If I remember rightly we were coming to the end of school. 

Just had a dig around the internet and found this:

He's on there at 3:52 and it wasn't TOTP it was "Something Else"
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    edited November 2016
    Oh wow, yeah. I've watched that many times, should've clicked when you mentioned the face paint. Well that's a pretty cool thing to have in your resume.......
    Did he play on The Black Album in that case or was he "just" sessioning?
    axisus said: =)
    My boss knows Dave Vanian. He's been round his house for snacks! Their daughters are the same age and go to the same school apparently.
    Very cool. DV is a very private person so it's even more interesting. He's the only one I haven't met to chat to over the years. I suppose this is off the music/fame radar for him and counts as 'normal' life. I'd be all over him and probably not get invited again 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    axisus said: =)
    Very cool. DV is a very private person so it's even more interesting. He's the only one I haven't met to chat to over the years. I suppose this is off the music/fame radar for him and counts as 'normal' life. I'd be all over him and probably not get invited again 
    I've only met one of them. I'll just leave this here (again) :)

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zps412e187f.jpg

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    .....still jealous.... :o  :)
    ;)
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    edited November 2016
    Deadman said:
    The Damned are playing their 40th anniversary gig at The Royal Albert Hall on Friday 20th May 2016. I've just got my front standing ticket. 3 hour set of every Damned song ever recorded. Bucket list stuff for me. Pre-sale link for those interested:
    https://qxdtfhl.royalalberthall.com/tickets/the-damned/default.aspx
    @viz

bollox, I'm gong to the Cardiff show on sunday, Fucking 3 hours of that? I hope they do a quick 20 mins and nob off, I'm only going for the Mrs, She loves em,.

Edit, I've endured them 8 times :(, Seen the phantom chords :) and knew Bryn Merrick well enough to call him a mate.

Met roman jugg a couple of times and his brother Joe put a carpet down for me I think ,

It wasn't the entire discography, dunno where I got that from (facebook most likely) but that would have taken a damn sight longer than 3 hours! Your missus obviously has better taste than you  ;)

That was the big opening gig too (as it was at the RAH), yours will be a normal gig. Shame about Bryn eh? He was only 56.

I'm loving some of the Damned factoids coming out of this thread mind. Jugg's brother a carpet fitter? Does he have a massive nose too?  =)