RCD Query

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
edited November 2016 in Live
Hi just after a bit of advice.

We have a gig tonight and everything has to run from a single extension lead. I have an RCD that I would normally just put on my amp.
Would it be best to put the RCD on the main socket and run the extension through that? ie everything goes through the RCD.

Any help much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

Venue should have RCDs on the sockets, however using your RCD for all the equipment would afford protection for anyone plugged into the extension lead.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Yes, it's best to run everything through the RCD. As a rule it's best to always run everything from the same socket anyway, as long as your total current draw isn't greater than 13A (or 26A with a double socket) - this is so that you can't get a cross-wiring problem where some equipment could be live and some other well-earthed, which is the most dangerous situation of all.

It's also important to remember that an RCD does *not* guarantee safety - because they don't lift the earth connection.  It's a worthwhile protection against a fault on *your* equipment or supply, but it's possible to have your own equipment working perfectly and fully earthed, and get a shock from something else live which is on a different circuit - eg a mic going via a multicore to a mixing desk at the other end of the room. The current will then find the best path to the good earth - through your equipment, and you. An RCD will not save you from that - in fact it won't even trip.

As jpfamps said all venues *should* now have RCDs on the sockets and/or a modern distribution box with an earth-leak detection circuit, so things are not as bad as they used to be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks for the replies. All was good and nobody got fried!
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    We've just 'acquired' an old PA system - HH mixer, global eq and power amp which will all sit onstage along with some powered monitors.  What is the thinking with the 'earth lift' option?  Does the presence of an rcd make any difference to this choice?  Any instruction manuals probably went missing in about 1980.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The earth lift will disconnect the audio electrical ground from the mains earth, while keeping the outer casing fully earthed - to cure possible 'ground loops' between separate equipment which may be connected together by audio signal cables. Don't worry, anything else would be illegal as well as potentially dangerous - like the old method of undoing the earth wire in the mains plug. Modern equipment has earth lift switches to remove the temptation to do this, by giving you the option of doing it the right way.

It doesn't make any difference to the operation of an RCD since they don't rely on detecting leakage to earth - they essentially measure the current in the live and neutral and if there is a difference - the 'Residual Current' - which must have gone somewhere else, they trip. That's why they can be used on 2-wire equipment such as lawnmowers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    If you've got your gear plugged into your RCD and their are mics etc on stage going to the mixer and PA always inspect how they are connected to the mains and check they have an RCD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom