Drums - What software are you lot using

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 971
edited November 2016 in Studio & Recording
I really like the look of Logic Pro X's Drummer, but don't have a Mac, just a PC. So wondered what you PC guys have had the best success with?

I think the main reason I like the Logics Drummer, is that it looks easy to use.

btw, on a slightly different note this really impressed me, done on an IPad

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited November 2016
    Mainly Addictive Drums 2 or Steven Slate SSD4 Platinum.

I'm starting to experiment with NI Studio Drummer, now I've got a new more powerful computer because my old computer used to struggle with it.

I also dabble with Jamstix 3

MT Power Drum Kit 2 is a good free one.
    It's not a competition.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971

This is the video that impressed me, sorry I couldn't get it to work in my first post for some reason.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    FL Studio with NS Kit 7 loaded into Kontakt.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BFD3 for me. Helps to know somebody with a discount... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Cheers, will look into the ones you have suggested.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    AD2..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited November 2016
    I also don't have a Mac but was impressed with how far you can take the Drummer thing using just Music Memos and GarageBand on iPad.

This was made by recording guitar played on a Blackstar Fly 3 in to Music Memos via the iPhone mic, then exporting to Garageband to massage the drummer settings (changing intensity, switching to toms, claps etc).  Ever since I've been dreaming of building a Hackintosh (allowing export to Logic), because frankly Macs have been a bit crap for a while now.

The nice thing about that workflow is that the drums follow the guitar's tempo and rhythm which is a really pleasant way to work.

On the PC side I've not dabbled much of late but I like Addictive Drums...EZ Drummer etc are pretty similar.
  • Are these all just loopers?
    I use jamstix, have been for years.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Was using BFD2 for "proper" drums and would like to upgrade to 3 (or more likely 4) when I get a new 'puter.
    Funny thing is though that I've got more into very simple rhythm ideas so in reality I've been using NI's Battery and some really old skool samples.  Big fan of the Linn samples or anything from that era.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    SD2 - deliberated for a long time, very impressed.

I use an e-kit via midi.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I use EZDrummer 2, which is pretty flexible and has good sounds. I don't think it has as many options as BFD, but it works for me. It also comes with loads of midi loops that are often a good starting point if you need a few ideas. 
    I also have NI Battery 3, for which I created my own kit from various samples I'd blagged over the years. I tend not to use it for new compositions, but I keep it for re-visiting older ones. However, every time I run it, I am impressed by how good it sounds - which is probably just down to the quality of the raw samples that I used to create my basic kit. 
    Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 
    Not sure I understand the question.

My approach is to use Kontakt to play the NS Kit sample library. FL Studio lets me build patterns, with each pattern being just one drum or any combination of drums. I can then play the patterns in any useful combination.

I don't generally use drum loops - there are one or two I like, but more commonly I'll sequence each beat in a few patterns, possibly with hats and cymbals in separate patterns from the kick, snare and toms.
    Sporky said:
    Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 

I don't generally use drum loops - there are one or two I like, but more commonly I'll sequence each beat in a few patterns, possibly with hats and cymbals in separate patterns from the kick, snare and toms.

Sometimes loops can be a starting point, but it's good to get inside them to tweak and personalise them. Even 'Four on the floor' type beats can benefit from a bit of sonic massaging - anything adding velocity information to swapping sounds. It's good to mess around. 
    I'm not anti-loop exactly; I've just never found them very inspiring. I don't see any shame in using them though - even straight out of the box - that strikes me as a lot like having a drummer. You give them a tempo and a rough idea of what you want and let them do the detail.
    EZdrummer has a feature that allows you to tap in (roughly) the sort of pattern that you want and then finds the closest ones from it's loop library... not always very successfully, it has to be said, but it can be a starting point, although sometimes it's easier and quicker to just program into your sequencer what you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    The patterns tend to be a few bars long, 'cos someone told me that's how drummers think and I believed them.
    Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    The 'trick' is to listen to the actual drumming on records/ watch drummers play. Remember most drummers only have two arms and two legs (or less) so not more than four things can be hit at a time! Also think about accents and how the sounds react to how hard the various bits of kit are being hit. Good use of dynamics can add immeasurably to the drum programming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    Toontrack ez drummer ! Very versatile ,