Drums - What software are you lot using

What's Hot

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    SSD4 here too.

The stock library is great, but the Blackbird and CLA expansions are fantastic.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Back in my PC days I used Jamstix - a very impressive piece of software, although it seems that the bigger name stuff now takes a similar approach to creating dynamic patterns.

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    For midi based I have Superior Drummer, SSD, BFD libraries connected to an expanded Roland TD30K kit.

They all sound good but I prefer BFD because it is the closest to being unmixed, so I can mix them the way I would normally mix drums.
    Superior is the most processed sounding and good for rapidly building up tracks that sound reasonably close to a finished product but they have a particular sound that is pretty recognisable.
    Some of the Toontrack expansions are pretty stellar sounding though.

Most of the time I try to record analog drums, which is either a DW Collectors or a Gretsch kit.
  • TimmyO said:
    Back in my PC days I used Jamstix - a very impressive piece of software, although it seems that the bigger name stuff now takes a similar approach to creating dynamic patterns.

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    Do packages nowadays have the "brain" that jamstix does? 
    I still think jamstix is fantastic! 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    TimmyO said:

Haven't used jamstix.

if you skip to 3.25 on the video below it shows the different drummers styles...is that kind of what you mean?

TimmyO said:

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before I  you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    Jamstix 3 is near the top of my list to get mainly because of this "brain", but they reckon from their forum that Jamstix 4 will come out in a few weeks

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7406&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've been using Logic Pro X's drummer on most of my stuff, it takes a lot of editing to get it sounding human, but its pretty decent. I'll be going over to Superior Drummer soon though i think, it just has the edge in realism so it'll save me a lot of time in drum comping and hopefully i won't have to use so many plug ins.

At the moment i use Drummer to get a rough feel and groove down, then i'll drag the drummer track over to a midi/audio track, i'll then go through and edit all the velocities, strength and swings for each hit, the i'll separate each drum/cymbal onto its own track, apply the compression and reverbs then sum it all to a stereo channel.

I wish there was an easier way!
    edited April 2017
    Cheers, have also been looking at EZ Drummer 2, and have downloaded the trial/10 day demo but I can't get it to work on the version of StudioOne Artist, I am using...Agghhh!

Looks like I will have to spend £200ish to upgrade to StudioOne Professional to get the bloody 10 day EZ Drummer trial to work.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I use BFD3 and Addictive Drums for certain things (quick demos with amp sims and their Reel 2 Reel AdPak). I've heard superior drummer is meant to be pretty good, Addictive Drums is OK but BFD has a much better sound and greater flexibility with the samples/fx.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    duotone said:
    Cheers, have also been looking at EZ Drummer 2, and have downloaded the trial/10 day demo but I can't get it to work on the version of StudioOne Artist, I am using...Agghhh!

Looks like I will have to spend £200ish to upgrade to StudioOne Professional to get the bloody 10 day EZ Drummer trial to work.

EZ Drummer (1) works.

Or get Reaper - EZD 2 works with that

trolley said:
    duotone said:

EZ Drummer (1) works.

Or get Reaper - EZD 2 works with that

Cheers!

will check to see the user-interface of Reaper and prices.
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I use EZDrummer2 with Reaper easy to work with and sounds great. I learnt something from @dogload  there though I didn't know about that tap thing to find patterns.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I use a midi editor and steal drums from midi files. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    edited May 2017
    EZ Drummer 2 here.  For writing there's no better tool IMO.  The Tap2Find feature is such a timesaver, and works with as many MIDI loops as you can lay your hands on.   Once I've constructed my song with loops,  I'll record "proper" drums using my Roland kit to trigger EZD.
    Bod said:
    EZ Drummer 2 here.  For writing there's no better tool IMO.  The Tap2Find feature is such a timesaver, and works with as many MIDI loops as you can lay your hands on.   Once I've constructed my song with loops,  I'll record "proper" drums using my Roland kit to trigger EZD.
    Am trying to get the hang of Reaper atm & have been looking again over some of the different Drum software on YouTube.  The EZ Drummer 2 one so far does seem right up my alley. Will keep looking and decide on something...finally!
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited January 2018
    TR606 & 808 samples, sequenced in FL studio
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    addictive.....but can’t get into it at all...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    @spark240 ;
    Its one of the ones on my shortlist, I’m probably just old fashioned but I prefer to see the kit set up like it would be in real life, so I don’t think it will be the one I end up buying.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    duotone said:
    spark240 said:
    @spark240 ;
    Its one of the ones on my shortlist, I’m probably just old fashioned but I prefer to see the kit set up like it would be in real life, so I don’t think it will be the one I end up buying.
    Ive had it for years....I keep getting cheap AD Paks hoping it will all come together one day....but I suspect not ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview