Material to practice mixing with?

What's Hot
Does such a thing exist as tracks of audio that are well recorded and dry so that you can practice mixing and effecting?
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can send you some stems of our album if you want
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    TimmyO said:
    Does such a thing exist as tracks of audio that are well recorded and dry so that you can practice mixing and effecting?
    Yes. Check out the music tech mags like Computer Music - there are a few of them. I leaned a lot from their lessons in which they provide videos, raw audio files and plugins and then take you through how to mix. I think Computer Music has a special you can buy on mixing. There are also websites like ADSR and Groove 3 with lessons.

And if you use Cubase there are some excellent tutorials from leading producers where they take through the mix of a track.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:
    Yes. Check out the music tech mags like Computer Music - there are a few of them. I leaned a lot from their lessons in which they provide videos, raw audio files and plugins and then take you through how to mix. I think Computer Music has a special you can buy on mixing. There are also websites like ADSR and Groove 3 with lessons.

And if you use Cubase there are some excellent tutorials from leading producers where they take through the mix of a track.
    Thanks Fret - just been looking at ADSR - some great lessons :-) 
    Red ones are better. 

I can send you some stems of our album if you want
    Just checked out your bandcamp - very cool, but I don't think I'd know where to start with prog metal, I don't really have a frame of reference! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    stems
    ... :p
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd offer up some of my recordings, and to be honest, between the performances, the recording, the tones chosen... you're going to be really f*cking good if you can make those turds sound decent.  :o B)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@guitarfishbay recently recommended a podcast, Unstoppable Recording Machine. From the couple of episodes I've heard, one of the things the guys behind it do is exactly what you are looking for. Monthly competitions, like in the good old tehbest.com Collective days. The only caveat is that the music is likely to be more BRÜTÄL than what ISTR you are into.

• Yep, it's called 'nail the mix' - you get access to tracks from name bands, recently there have been Periphery and Papa Roach tracks I think.  https://nailthemix.com/

I'm not a member but I've thought about joining next year when I'm finished with my own current projects.  It is $19.99 a month but you only get access to tracks released while you're subscribing.  If you want previous month's tracks you have to buy those, and I'm not sure how much they cost (my guess is the same as a month's membership but I can't find info anywhere).  But if you're interested in the kind of genres those guys cover then it'll be all 'name' bands and producers to you so probably worth it.

Cirrus said:
    I'd offer up some of my recordings, and to be honest, between the performances, the recording, the tones chosen... you're going to be really f*cking good if you can make those turds sound decent.  :o B)

I do feel like our drummer deliberately selected the most ringy, horrible overtone cymbals on purpose.  Before I started EQing it sounded like nightmare grade tinnitus in the high end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There was one cymbal mine used, it just sounded like shit and he used it as his crash/ride on every big chorus. The EQ between 4-10k was like swiss cheese getting rid of ringing resonances. Thing is I didn't notice that sort of thing at the time, but I learned to. Luckily the cymbal got a crack in it and he picked a good replacement.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Google 'Mixing competition tracks'.
    There have been loads of them over the years.
    Cheers guys
    Red ones are better. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Catthan said:
    Im a member here, its very cool...but be warned...the last multitrack session I got was 136 tracks...it takes some time before you even start ! Warren is a great guy though and very helpful.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Cirrus said:
    stems
    ... :p
    lol.

I think you'll also like this one. At practice yesterday I coined the term "drum hole". Meaning a section where the drummer doesn't play, it caused a lot of confusion. Made me realise the way I think about music is deeply intertwined with long term use of sequencers though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    spark240 said:
    Catthan said:
    Im a member here, its very cool...but be warned...the last multitrack session I got was 136 tracks...it takes some time before you even start ! Warren is a great guy though and very helpful.
    yeah, that's  bit beyond what I'll ever need to do :-) 

Right, off to play with my new bx_digital v3 plugin... 
    Red ones are better. 
    @PolarityMan good god, I'm going to steal 'drum hole'  :o
  • The best ones I know of are from Shaking Through although the old ones may not be available or only for a charge.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    edited June 2018
    Catthan said:
    Reviving an old thread

Cheers!

The web address has changed (Not surprising a year and a half later) to https://producelikeapro.lpages.co/plap-free-stuff-without-trial/

These are the free tracks available if anyone is interested:

• Mixing the hits of country is a great book with audio that would fit the bill 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    spark240 said:
    Catthan said:
    @spark240 ;

Sounds like I got lucky with the Blame It On The Whiskey track...it was just 36!  =)