Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Retiring next year

What's Hot
Had the a talk with my band this weekend and have decided to retire next year, probably around August as we have certain gigs that we would all like to fulfill. 
Thought I would make 40years gigging but not quite, as did not gig regularly till 1978. 
Will miss the thought of gigging more than the actual gigs, but feel time is right due to Arthritus and gigs are just not worth it anymore. 
Band is gonna split as Drummer will be 70, Bassist is so busy with work so that just leaves the singer. 
Been a great ride. 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

How long has this band being going?

Plus, bet you don't.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    That's a shame, but it sounds like you've had a good time - I hope the last few gigs are really good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Sorry to hear about the arthritis, hopefully you can keep playing guitar if not gigging
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Good for you, I tried it about 4 years ago but crept back in with some casual country and then a part time funk band. My back makes standing a long time painful so I understand the considerations.
    Luckily around here there are plenty of 'mature' musicians who jam together for charitable causes about 6 times a year and these events are relaxed and social with the buzz of playing a few tunes with old and new friends, you might find or establish similar.
    Gigging is far from what it once was and I think I miss those days, but not the long hours and toilet chaging rooms that so often were part of the package. Enjoy whatever you do next.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    It's a nice idea to decide so far in advance, it should really help to make the last few months extra special.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Good excuse for re-union gigs when you all feel like it ! :)

Hope you enjoy the remaining gigs, and maybe look at technique/gear for playing what you enjoy and keeping arthritis at bay.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Thanks for all the thoughts. I have been thinking of it for quite a while. 
    As regards gear to help me carry on playing, really large necks have helped enormously but time is catching up, and it's the right time to finish. 
    I hope I have enough guts to quit for good, rather than keep trying to play when I am playing worse and worse as I have seen others do. 
  • @koneguitarist I'm sorry to hear this - you're a lovely player - I'm sorry arthritis is causing you such problems that you'll stop playing.

I hope you find some way to continue making music in some capacity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    ESBlonde said:
    casual country

Awesome genre. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    ESBlonde said:
    casual country

Awesome genre. 
    Corduroys and stetsons. 

To paraphrase Enoch Powell all bands end in death or failure, so nice @koneguitarist to be an exception.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Had the a talk with my band this weekend and have decided to retire next year, probably around August as we have certain gigs that we would all like to fulfill. 

Reunion tour in 2018??

rather than keep trying to play when I am playing worse and worse as I have seen others do. 
    Are you thinking Clapton??
    ;)

Seriously Taff - you've got to enjoy it, and if the pain outweighs the fun, maybe its time to take it easier ... perhaps a gradual wind-down rather than a complete retirement though?  Just so you can show the kids how it should be done ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • The casual wind down starts after NYE gig, we are already turning down gigs which we don't really enjoy and limiting any venue to two gigs max. 
    I intend to write some articles with the local press etc about how gigs have changed and its up to the youngsters to take over and if need be change the system. 
    I am very lucky to have played from the late 70's forward and seen how venues and band approaches have changed. In so many cases with bands image has taken over content and ability. I have had a great time, played some wonderful gigs, made so many great friends, sacked so many bad drummers, it really has been a wonderful time, but it's gone. 
    I still have a musical interest in being chairman of local radio station and doing regular shows myself, so all is not lost. Can't get rid of me that easily! 
  • @ESBlonde Don Henley beat you to it! 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    My Mum has toured with Demis Roussos, Runrig and worked with Van Morrison too and at 66 she is still singing as she does old folks home gigs with an iPad for backing tracks! She has 24 gigs for December alone! :) There's always ways to keep in the music but some things, especially medical, can really put a stop to it I guess :( 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "IF" I could sing it wouldn't be a problem, but if I could sing, do you think I would own the PA!
  • Lots of great memories from being on the same gigging circuit for the last 30 odd years with Taff - the only guy I know who, instead of leaving a band, he sacked them all! Write that book you always threatened us with.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Sorry to hear this Taff, will definitely have to try and catch you live before your final fling now!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    "There is a last time for everything" - Arthur C. Clarke

Sorry to hear this, but hope you go out on a good one... better to call it quits on your own terms!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @ICBM agree, my terms. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis, kone.
    Would you consider switching to another instrument? (Is this even possible?)