Picking up Bass again

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    octatonic said:
    Get a Jazz or a P Bass.
    They are less hassle.
    The Ric is well, just cos I want one to match my 360s ;)

Gonna look for a cheapo P or J for knocking about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Are you set on a long scale? I returned to bass after a break of 20 years or more and went with a Gibson SG bass, Very easy to play with a 30" scale and build quality is faultless. That said I've always had a yen for a Rickenbacker but I'm a bit dubious about the length and trying them out is difficult due to their scarcity.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited December 2016
    Re your comment about a cheapo; I have an excellent J copy in the classifieds.
    As stated, practice with a drum machine or metronome. With bass, timing and feel are more important than speed, so with said timekeeper practice pushing before or after the beat and listening how the pros do this between slow and uptempo tunes. 
    Left and right hand damping for note length and tone are also things to pay attention to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I played a long scale before - and am happy swapping instrument scale/size - gigging with mandolin, octave mandolin and guitar does that to you...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Corking spot! Thanks!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23963
    I've got it - comes in really handy for jams and just playing along to CDs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    octatonic said:
    Get a Jazz or a P Bass.
    They are less hassle.
    But also less awesome :).

Actually there's no particular hassle with a 4001/3 - they're a simple, stable, reliable bass. No actives or other nonsense and the two pickups and stereo outputs make them almost completely failure-proof in a gig situation - you can always get either the neck pickup on the Standard output or the bridge by using the Rick-o-Sound one in mono, if you have to. The switch falling apart is about the only thing that would stop it working.

And did I mention they sound amazing with fuzz? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    octatonic said:
    Get a Jazz or a P Bass.
    They are less hassle.

Actually there's no particular hassle with a 4001/3 - they're a simple, stable, reliable bass. No actives or other nonsense and the two pickups and stereo outputs make them almost completely failure-proof in a gig situation - you can always get either the neck pickup on the Standard output or the bridge by using the Rick-o-Sound one in mono, if you have to. The switch falling apart is about the only thing that would stop it working.

I may actually become your Ric ranting buddy at this rate!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:
    Get a Jazz or a P Bass.
    They are less hassle.

Bollocks! :)

Actually I love the look of them, I just can't get on with the neck.
    octatonic said:

They vary widely depending on the year - RIC like to change the spec every few years without warning for some unfathomable reason. My one is a '73 and has a really nice slim rounded one - my previous one was a 2006 and had a wide, flat neck that I didn't mind but swapped immediately for this one when I had the chance because it just felt so much better. Some other modern ones are quite clubby.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23963
    I've never owned a Rick. I'd like to.
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:

They vary widely depending on the year - RIC like to change the spec every few years without warning for some unfathomable reason. My one is a '73 and has a really nice slim rounded one - my previous one was a 2006 and had a wide, flat neck that I didn't mind but swapped immediately for this one when I had the chance because it just felt so much better. Some other modern ones are quite clubby.
    Have you got any idea what the new ones are like @ICBM - it's difficult to go see one given their availability and I'm intrigued whether Ric are turning out thin, fat, wide, slim, chunky or something else at the mo?
    Bridgehouse said:

Have you got any idea what the new ones are like @ICBM - it's difficult to go see one given their availability and I'm intrigued whether Ric are turning out thin, fat, wide, slim, chunky or something else at the mo?
    No idea - I haven't seen a brand new one for a couple of years at least. At that point they seemed to have gone back to deeper/fuller.

The Rickenbacker forum people will know, I think.

• I use a Squier VM Jazz. Best value for money bass at that price-point. Better than the MIM at £200 more.

Learn that I-V country bass thing and some walking lines. Experiment with pick and fingers - I was always a pick guy, but find I attack better with fingers and groove better too.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Songsterr is brilliant. 3 quid and you can slow the songs right down and loop specific sections if you are struggling with them. 
    speshul91 said:
    Songsterr is brilliant. 3 quid and you can slow the songs right down and loop specific sections if you are struggling with them. 
    What platform do you use it on?
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    edited December 2016
    I use it on android and kindle. 
    speshul91 said:
    I use it on android and kindle. 
    I shall have to investigate - ta!