Tonewood amp

WezVWezV Frets: 16541
I am just fitting one for somebody now.  

Obviously I went straight for the gimmicky settings,  it seems quite fun.

anyone else used one?  This is the first time I have seen them
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EreforGuitarGearEreforGuitarGear Frets: 70
    edited December 2016
    I got one way back in the early Kickstarter stage... It took ages to arrive but was worth the wait. I know it's not primarily for this, but using it as a DI is fantastic. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    How do you find battery life?
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I'd really love to try one.  Very interested in feedback and how it works live as a DI etc.  My guitar has a blended mic which I usually have to turn off through the PA to avoid feedback so end up with all piezo.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I've just had a quick look at their website and I'm still none the wiser.
    What is it for and how does it work?
    I can't separate the hype from the facts.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    Sassafras said:
    It takes a pickup signal and sends it to a doo-dah stuck the the back of the guitar, which vibrates the back to create the effects acoustically. So you can get effects without having to plug into an amp or pa etc because it's all being done using the guitar's body.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Lewy said:
    Sassafras said:
    It takes a pickup signal and sends it to a doo-dah stuck the the back of the guitar, which vibrates the back to create the effects acoustically. So you can get effects without having to plug into an amp or pa etc because it's all being done using the guitar's body.

and it doesn't have to be the pickup signal from the same instrument -  you also have the potential for some pretty weird sonic experiments by feeding another instrument/signal into your acoustic

• Battery life isn't that bad for what it is and does... as for an exact time period I haven't used it continually to find out. However I can say that it will probably not work well with an internal mic... it hated being in my Taylor with the Expression system... feedback issues galore.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Battery life isn't that bad for what it is and does... as for an exact time period I haven't used it continually to find out. However I can say that it will probably not work well with an internal mic... it hated being in my Taylor with the Expression system... feedback issues galore.
    is it a problem with all transducer pickups?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    It's like a Yamaha Transacoustic but without having to buy a Yamaha L Series guitar :).

There's a second hand one in the shop just now, I haven't tried it.

It definitely won't work well with any sort of body-sensing or mic pickup system, because it uses the guitar body as the speaker, so it will certainly feed back very easily. It will be best with a piezo UST or a magnetic soundhole pickup.

It is possibly one of the worst-named products I can think of, too... one of the most misused guitar buzzwords applied to something it has nothing whatever to do with!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Just ordered a b stock one from Thomman so I'll let you know.
    edited March 2018
    This video rekindled my interest and I thought I'd just give it a try

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Some quite good examples of what it can do in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmKnBZp6QA
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Wow that's a really cool product. I guess that it doesn't have a huge amount of use live though as you might as well use pedals. I bet it's fun at home though.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.